• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When should someone receive points for listing completion?

18 posts in this topic

Since CGC uses additional points to encourage fully registering a book, I have to ask this question.

When I am listing my books in the Registry, I make sure to provide complete details about the books, including front/back cover scans.

Since this is a friendly competion for the best registry sets and most thoroughly listed books, should someone receive completion points if they are just posting front photos and not back photos to show the entire book? Especially with books that have wrap-around covers.

Sounds petty, but you came up with the competion and the additional point system CGC, so... when is "thorough" truly thorough?

I have someone I am competing against right now that posts front photos in both the Front Cover and Back Cover sections, rather than showing the entire book. That doesn't sound thorough to me, nor does it provide viewers the entire experience.

I've never knew there were bonus points for completely filling in a listing!!!

How does that work and what's the bonus? Just a few points or a percentage of the book's base score?

If it's worthwhile, I might have to sit down and scan the back covers to all my Web of Spidey books and see if I can jump from #3 into #2... ;)

I added descriptions and photos to one of my sets and had an additional 120 points.

But someone taking advantage, and knowing what they are doing, by inserting front covers in both sections just doesn't seem like they went out of their way.

Are you sure? I've never heard that before... Here's the explanation for how scores are determine from the registry itself:

"To calculate a registry score, the scoring algorithm begins with a single "raw score" for each comic book. The raw score of a comic book is the approximate market value of a Near Mint copy of that issue. A number of widely available sources are used to determine this value, and CGC will consult with experts when accurate information cannot be found in these references.

Using this raw score, the algorithm calculates a Registry score for every possible CGC category and grade for that comic book. For example, the raw score is multiplied by standard weights to achieve scores for each CGC Universal Grade. Universal scores are then used in combination with percentage multipliers to determine scores for non-Universal Registry Scores (such as Signatures Series, Qualified, and Restored). The algorithm attempts to weigh the relative value, scarcity, and desirability for each grade and category, and varies based on the comic age and other variables.

Comic scores do not equate to market dollars. A more valuable book will in most cases receive more Registry points, but its score is not directly correlated to its value. The algorithm is also designed to enhance and encourage competition in the Registry by reducing extremes in value differences between grades and categories. For this reason a very valuable book may receive fewer points than might be expected, or a relatively common book will receive more points than might otherwise be expected."

Go give it a try.

Pick a small registry set so there aren't many issues. Now post full descriptions and pictures (back cover doesn't count right now).

I have one set where I am #1 with one other collector. As soon as I posted this information, he fell to #2 and both my registry sets became the #1s.

(shrug)

Go give it a try.

Pick a small registry set so there aren't many issues. Now post full descriptions and pictures (back cover doesn't count right now).

I have one set where I am #1 with one other collector. As soon as I posted this information, he fell to #2 and both my registry sets became the #1s.

(shrug)

I don't think you get extra points. I'm tied for the top score in the Batman Year One registry but I'm number one because I have pics and descriptions. Still the same amount of points.

Well, I have one registry set that all I did was add full descriptions and photos, clicked Save, and the next thing I saw was an additional 120 points. Either:

1) CGC recently made a point change to a given book and it only appeared the next time you made a change.

2) They are awarding points to encourage building out full descriptions to make the registry a library of great books.

3) I tried the crack - oops. Thought this was one of our polls on here. :insane:

lol I'm sure at some point (after the hoplidays) gemma will jump in and let us know.

But if

the answer is yes, I have a ton of scanning and writing to do ;)

I just went into my registry and finished adding pics and descriptions to all of my registry books. No point change at all. (shrug)

lol I'm sure at some point (after the hoplidays) gemma will jump in and let us know.

But if

I just went into my registry and finished adding pics and descriptions to all of my registry books. No point change at all. (shrug)

Sorry, Mike.

I don't get it. I made no other change at that point to my registry set.

Now I did have one registry set where I was tied again with someone for the #1 slot, and as soon as I added photos and descriptions, they fell back to #2 and I am the lone #1 set. But that set had no extra points.

Odd.

But if

Sorry, Mike.

I don't get it. I made no other change at that point to my registry set.

Now I did have one registry set where I was tied again with someone for the #1 slot, and as soon as I added photos and descriptions, they fell back to #2 and I am the lone #1 set. But that set had no extra points.

Odd.

Nick....nothing to be sorry about. I was already in the process of adding pics and descriptions to all of my books anyway. I never feel right unless something's 100% complete. :)

Well, when I get my CGC SS 9.8 book that is on the way with one of my favorite Copper Age characters, let's see when I add the description and picture what happens (other than the extra 240 points I receive :o ).

• Administrator

It does not affect scores but it will affect sets that are tied:

"The Registry system will first rank by score and in the case of a tie the system will determine which set has the highest percentage of comic images. If the score and percentage of images is equal between two sets, then the percentage of comic descriptions will be considered. So to break it down, ranking is achieved by considering in this order:

Set score

Percentage of comics with images

Percentage of comics with descriptions

If all of the above items are equal between sets, then sets will be sorted by the date the SCORE was achieved (first to achieve it will appear higher), but they will have the same rank number beside their set. "

• Administrator

But, we do have a category in the Awards for "Best Presented" so that is when you are most benefited by having front and back scans as well as unique personal descriptions. :)