• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best way to sell/trade about 6 long boxes of random BA/CA?

50 posts in this topic

Frankly, there are a lot of pretty bad LCS out there.

The one closest to my house prices at guide and grades so badly that I don't even bother to go in to look when they have 50% off sales. 50% off of a VG book priced at Fine-VF doesn't really do much for me.

Since this place doesn't sell much, they don't offer much to buy comics.

One of the others in the area has very good prices, but the last time I was there the owner was bragging about how cheap he just bought a big stack of SA/BA Daredevils from someone. Doesn't make me want to sell there either.

Since I don't buy new comics, I don't go to LCS much anymore.

I do all of my buying on Ebay, here, or at conventions.

I don't sell a lot, but I would have to be pretty desperate to sell to one of my LCS when I have Ebay and here as options.

I would recommend breaking the books into large lots and selling them here for reasonable prices.

Why is it that the dealer's price is "sky high" and he is going to "low-ball" you? Sorry, but I take a little offense with the generalization that all dealers prices are high and they never offer anything for comics.

Just for example, looking through there...

Batman 251 VG

Batman 190 G/VG

Lots of VG 12c Sgt Fury's

Some VG Green Lanterns from 30-60

lots of random f-vf BA

some random copper age

some random moderns

Let's just say, as an overall average, the books could be sold individually for $3 a piece. Not sure if that's accurate. Would I still expect less (maybe significantly less) than 50c a piece on the books?

Retail on those books above is probably $1 each, on average. Brutal world out there.

(thumbs u

Your best bet is to try and sell on the boards first. If you move to ebay you can expect at most 1.00 a book depending on the grade, etc.

It's totally a buyer's market for mid-slightly high grade books - especially in the bronze and up ages.

Hey guys, so over the last 5 years or so, through my digging in long boxes at shows, shops, etc, I've amassed about 6 long boxes of various BA/CA books. They're mostly all books i picked out, so there is some decent stuff in there. You could really start a shop with what I have. I would like to go to a dealer and trade for a single or maybe a couple of books, but feel like he's going to low-ball me. Not to mention the prices on his books are sky high so I wouldn't be getting a great deal on that end either.

I would say the distribution is:

50% BA

30% CA

20% SA and MA

By the way, the books are in Syracuse, NY if there are any locals that would be interested.

How would you guys go about selling/trading this stuff? What should I expect for them?

Not trying to pick a fight with you or anyone else, but

Why is it that the dealer's price is "sky high" and he is going to "low-ball" you? Sorry, but I take a little offense with the generalization that all dealers prices are high and they never offer anything for comics.

You have said that you think your books are 5-10 dollars each. A dealer has to take them, sort though them to figure out what he can hopefully get for them, then bag and tag the books. So he has to put forth a lot of effort into them to get them ready to sell. Then he has to lug the things around for quite a few shows to try to get his investment back all the while paying tables, hotels, and gas and food.

Then of course, not every book is going to sell. So he has to mark them down to 2.00 dollar boxes. Then after awhile, the rest of them get knocked down to 1.00 each.

Can you see where I'm coming from?

It didn't sound to me like he was generalizing at all. He said "he's" and "his" so how is that talking about all or most comic shops? (shrug)

My LCS is just the same way. Most of their books are priced at 100% of guide and the only way they budge on that is if they have a sale. I'm probably one of their best customers yet do they give me any great deals? Ha!

I've never tried to sell them any books but I've talked to plenty of people who have and they offer next to nothing for the books. And anybody, whether they're a dealer or collector or whatever, still has to put a lot of effort into selling books. Ask anyone who has sold/attempted to sell here on the boards.

Hey guys, so over the last 5 years or so, through my digging in long boxes at shows, shops, etc, I've amassed about 6 long boxes of various BA/CA books. They're mostly all books i picked out, so there is some decent stuff in there. You could really start a shop with what I have. I would like to go to a dealer and trade for a single or maybe a couple of books, but feel like he's going to low-ball me. Not to mention the prices on his books are sky high so I wouldn't be getting a great deal on that end either.

I would say the distribution is:

50% BA

30% CA

20% SA and MA

By the way, the books are in Syracuse, NY if there are any locals that would be interested.

How would you guys go about selling/trading this stuff? What should I expect for them?

Not trying to pick a fight with you or anyone else, but

You have said that you think your books are 5-10 dollars each. A dealer has to take them, sort though them to figure out what he can hopefully get for them, then bag and tag the books. So he has to put forth a lot of effort into them to get them ready to sell. Then he has to lug the things around for quite a few shows to try to get his investment back all the while paying tables, hotels, and gas and food.

Then of course, not every book is going to sell. So he has to mark them down to 2.00 dollar boxes. Then after awhile, the rest of them get knocked down to 1.00 each.

Can you see where I'm coming from?

Actually, I wasn't generalizing at all, but talking about one specific dealer. haha. I know there are good dealers out there, this on eguy though would have you laughing at his prices, I guarantee you that. ;)

The dealer I'm referring to seriously prices his stuff at NM- or HIGHER, it seems, regardless of condition. For example, I saw a VG Astonishing Tales 25 for $49.99! ... a New Mutants 98 for $78.99 !!! haha! It's just absurd. He actually does have a lot of amazing stuff on his walls but they are just so overpriced that I feel I would get hosed on the trade in value and then get hosed again on his pricing.

Thanks guys for the opinions and suggestions. I'll look through them and either sort them into very general lots or maybe wait to this small convention here in Syracuse in March. :)

One more thing. I also noticed that some of his books on the wall were previously CGC graded. They are still in their "inner well" but were taken out and the inner well was trimmed. My take: he didn't like the cgc grade (or PLOD!) and so he cracked them out. Shaaaady.

I just sold a book to a LCS the other day that had a cracked CGC case. He had me open the case since it was already cracked but kept it in the inner well with the label. I think he's going to re-sell it like that.

Same shop that dropped the ball on the [iirc] Amazing Spidey for your friend ??

I just sold a book to a LCS the other day that had a cracked CGC case. He had me open the case since it was already cracked but kept it in the inner well with the label. I think he's going to re-sell it like that.

say what?

say what?

Check your pms. :baiting:

say what?

Ahh okay, that was about a deal that c-mack had issues with...I don't live in Houston, nor have I ever shopped at that store.

say what?

Ahh okay, that was about a deal that c-mack had issues with...I don't live in Houston, nor have I ever shopped at that store.

You're in denial... Everyone wants to live in Houston, everyone...

yeah i know right!?! he seeme like a ok guy too when i bought it...and you make a good point about maybe he's just closed for turkey day already...im going to give him alittle time to atleast call me i mean..i just always wanted a nice 1st app of gwen stacy and i want to see if he will refund me my money before i try and buy another copy...i paid 160 i think..which was about right i think..but then im also out the 85 bucks for cgc

i really wanted to atleast hear out the owners mouth a NO before i light that place up like Christmas with phone calls and neg feedback online lol

but thanks for the advice

-chris

You could check out our online buying system

We're a retailer buying for resale, so we won't pay as much as if you were selling directly to a collector who wanted the books you have, but our prices should be better than what you'd get at a typical LCS.

And you'll have much less work selling to us (one easy transaction) than selling off pieces to multiple buyers.

You can see what we're buying and what we'll pay by searching here:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics/record

We're a retailer buying for resale, so we won't pay as much as if you were selling directly to a collector who wanted the books you have, but our prices should be better than what you'd get at a typical LCS.

And you'll have much less work selling to us (one easy transaction) than selling off pieces to multiple buyers.

Sounds pretty cool, I'll check it out ;)

Aren't you supposed to be working the front counter today ?? :baiting:

The dealer I'm referring to seriously prices his stuff at NM- or HIGHER, it seems, regardless of condition. For example, I saw a VG Astonishing Tales 25 for $49.99! ... a New Mutants 98 for $78.99 !!! haha! It's just absurd. He actually does have a lot of amazing stuff on his walls but they are just so overpriced that I feel I would get hosed on the trade in value and then get hosed again on his pricing.

Thanks guys for the opinions and suggestions. I'll look through them and either sort them into very general lots or maybe wait to this small convention here in Syracuse in March. :)

Here's how I see it. I just towed a bunch of books that I did not want anymore nor had the patience to wait for a buyer to a warehouse sale. In exchange I got a few issues that I was looking for to complete two runs plus found some more issues for a run I am currently collecting. Did I "lose" out on the deal? From a monetary stand-point yes but I saved on the effort of attempting to sell them, pack them and now have freed up space and new reading material. Overall, I am very satisfied with the transaction.

Also, in any event if you think that dealer is shady, I would wonder why you want to give him any business at all. I was at a collectible show in NJ recently and was told about a comic shop. Great shop for back issues. Possibly the best shop I have been in for back issue. The shop is Zapp comics - http://www.zappcomics.com/ Doesn't hurt to give him a call.

Hey nocutename, I love Zapp comics! Great shop! I've been to the one in Manalapan, not the one in Wayne. I agree, awesome shop. Went there recently for their annual sale and picked up some great stuff at amazing prices. I'd have to lug them all down there though. I think I'm just going to do the local show in March.. it's the least amount of hassle and I actually think it will be fun.

I would attend some local cons and present them to some dealers.

Last summer I made contact with a local dealer at a con who came to my house and purchased/traded for 22 long boxes. You will always get more value for trade

but you have to make sure it's for something you truly desire. Some of the trade I received were SA keys so I was happy. Also, the dealer priced his trade books at FMV, not some inflated LCS price. This is another thing to look out for with trade. You do not want to sell at wholesale and trade for retail. In one case, Showcase 22, the value of the trade appreciated much more than the 22 long boxes would have.

Good luck, don't be anxious, but be realistic.