• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic cover reproductions...great site, but....

46 posts in this topic

Sure, they're like inkers... 27_laughing.gif

sign-offtopic.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

Not to change the subject.

But if you (and others) think inking is so easy, why are you (and those others) not an inker?

Sure, there are some artists that are easier to ink than others. But they are few and far between.

Easy artists or not, a good inker has skill and talent.

It's not as "paint by the numbers" as some people think.

gossip.gif

I have to agree with you there Dice......look at the different inkers that worked with Kirby. Sinnott was such a major contributor to the run from the mid 40's on to the FF it can not be overstated. I've seen samples of Sinnott's pencils too and he was GREAT! Kirby's art took on the personality of the inker who was working with him. Thor, you think Vince Coletta. It had a look. A little etchy, maybe not a favorite of most of the board members, but it still fit the throwback legendary theme of the book. I think Kirby rose to the quality of the inker he was working with. Compare the look of the FF between 61 and 66. It was a different artist working there.

I wonder, if FF#48 had been inked by Chic Stone, how much less an impact it would have had.....think about it! Sinnott brought a ton to the art!

Ayers was also a great match with Kirby's pencils. These are just the most obvious examples of the inker's contribution.

RESPECT THE INKERS!

inkers:

byrne/austin

miller/janson granted joseph rubenstien did the inking of the pic in my sig line

mcfarlane/macfarlane

without their inkers it just doesn't look right or as good.

example:

byrne's MOS or FF

miller's PPSPM 27 & 28

mcfarlane's DC's work

anybody want to add to this?

sorry, sorry.gif right clicking the mouse to save the pic reads you need permission from artist. confused-smiley-013.gif

They don't want anybody stealing the pics.

Insert your own "irony" graemlin here.

popcorn.gif

sorry, sorry.gif right clicking the mouse to save the pic reads you need permission from artist. confused-smiley-013.gif

They don't want anybody stealing the pics.

Insert your own "irony" graemlin here.

popcorn.gif

use another browser and all will work.

Sites that dont allow you to copy with IE will be perfect for copying with Opera

Sinnott was th ebest. You only have to look at the splash page of FF44 (his first issue, right?) and compare his inks to any previous issue! A breath of fresh air and finally the Kirby we all think of when we picture Classic Kirby artwork.

thumbsup2.gif

And to think Sinnott lives less than twenty miles from me.....I should really just crawl over there one day on broken glass and bow to him for a couple of hours. Not worthy,....not worthy!

Sure, they're like inkers... 27_laughing.gif

sign-offtopic.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

Not to change the subject.

But if you (and others) think inking is so easy, why are you (and those others) not an inker?

Sure, there are some artists that are easier to ink than others. But they are few and far between.

Easy artists or not, a good inker has skill and talent.

It's not as "paint by the numbers" as some people think.

gossip.gif

Look, it was a joke. I was thinking of Kevin Smith's movie, Chasing Amy, where they were asking Jason Lee's character about inking over comic artist Ben Affleck, 'so, you're a tracer' somebody said. And Lee was like 'no, I'm an artist. 'But, you're a tracer' they kept saying.

It was some exchange like that.

I respect the job that inkers have done when paired with the correct artist. Terry Austin with Byrne for example. Klaus Janson with Miller. John and Marie Severin made Trimpe's work on the Hulk superb.

But I'm trying to think of one well-known, established inker that made the transition to popular artist....and I can't.

Sorry I offended you with the inking remark.

But I'm trying to think of one well-known, established inker that made the transition to popular artist....and I can't.

Didn't Sal Buscema start off as an inker? I was never crazy about his pencils, but he did get a lot of work as an artist.

After examining the website Alex Art that Minutekev originally started this thread with....I am convinced that there is a strong possiblity that this outfit is being run out of Eastern Europe. Alex Art Studio is really Urkrainian artist Alexander Michushev who is the featured artist, while the Comic Book Art section features an artist by the name of Jo Jo. Sounds like a trained monkey. They also charge no sales tax and do not list a U.S. address, or any physical location at all for that matter. It's all electronic transfer, and email. Maybe someone knows a way of checking the IP of info@alexartstudio.com. I mean I could be wrong.

But to make a long theory short, they can certainly ignore US copyright law to the extent that not only are they small but they are located overseas, making it hard and impractical for a US corporation to chase them down.

The $99 price on the superhero paintings seems very cheap...it could be students trying to make some money in their spare time. I attach two examples, which although crude, do have a funky charm about them. They are stylistically quite different, thus leading me to believe it is a studio and not one artist doing the work.

aquaman.jpg

avengers.jpg

It's all electronic transfer, and email. Maybe someone knows a way of checking the IP of info@alexartstudio.com. I mean I could be wrong.

If these guys were operating out of Eastern Europe, then they would have really needed to have thought out the notion of mirrorring, to near perfection. From the way the site is currently being hosted, this is not one of those examples.

For starters, they would have had to register a US commercial domain (alexartstudio.com) with a Eastern European address (and depending which European country, this is near impossible to do, and I'll explain more on this below), or had a US address front their purchase (could be a friend or relative living in the US). Secondly, they are using a domain forwarding service, and web hosting provider Globat.com (possibly may be a subsidiary firm to a larger US provider). Here is the interesting part. They actually registerred the domain through a Tucows reseller, which means the domain was originally registerred through a Canadian domain reseller (Tucows has its main headquarters in Toronto and Michigan, but it is a Canadian company). The web hosting provider is based out of LA. The fact that they have co-located the service (meaning they are hosting the site on a service providers box -- Globat, and not some box out of Eastern Europe) indicates that someone who is part of alexartstudio.com is very likely located somewhere in North America. Why? Because from an invoice/billing standpoint, neither domain resellers or web hosting providers are fitted to accept payment from anyone outside of North America. There is both an adminstration restriction, and also legalities surrounding credit card billing from non-North American addresses when it comes to registerring domain names, and binding IP's to a web hosting provider.