• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic cover reproductions...great site, but....

46 posts in this topic

Look, it was a joke. I was thinking of Kevin Smith's movie, Chasing Amy, where they were asking Jason Lee's character about inking over comic artist Ben Affleck, 'so, you're a tracer' somebody said. And Lee was like 'no, I'm an artist. 'But, you're a tracer' they kept saying.

It was some exchange like that.

I respect the job that inkers have done when paired with the correct artist. Terry Austin with Byrne for example. Klaus Janson with Miller. John and Marie Severin made Trimpe's work on the Hulk superb.

But I'm trying to think of one well-known, established inker that made the transition to popular artist....and I can't.

Sorry I offended you with the inking remark.

No prob.

IMO, it's a shame for people to slam the inker as being a talentless ogre.

A good inker can make an artist great.

A bad inker can kill him.

It's a labor of love because they sure don't get credit from very many people.

People have to see an inker take an average sketchy drawing and turn it into a great work of art before they would appreciate them for the artists they are.

cloud9.gif

Dont slam the inkers - - when the page is done and the pencils are erased, all you got left is the inking... Pencillers run the gamut from tight traceable linework, to sketchy "take-your-best-shot" loose shapes. The inker has to finally choose the appropriate line thickness, tapering, curve, cross-hatching etc etc. He also has to be in total control of his linework, where a penciller can build up from geometric shapes, molding them until the figure's fina shape becomes clear.

I always wondered which was easier: being a penciller who layed out the page and panel contents but didnt have to worry about tight line work.... or the inker who comes in and just makes sense of the pencils, "tracing" as it were. I finally figured out that neither was a bag of shells, and that I wasnt good enough to be either.

If in fact the Thai artist was located in Thailand, in the hypothetical situation a US corporation where to chase them, the question would be who would you go after, the web site owner (s), or the artist?

What it basically boils down to is the fact that the trail is probably too convoluted for a corporation to follow. Thailand, eh? The art gets more and more interesting! insane.gif