• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting high grade SA Marvels is making less and less sense to me

90 posts in this topic

The fact is that you were dead wrong. I`d just like to see you admit it.

I have admitted several times that unprecedented market forces and events have artificially extended this speculative bubble far beyond what I, and others, anticipated and I do admit I was dead wrong there.

The growth of online commission shops is probably the most surprising, as I never imagined the sheer number of new entrants and the growth of the existing class. I knew Marvel and Co. would milk their remaining properties, but no one could have predicted that Heath Ledger would die and create a mass market binge on The Dark Knight, thereby driving even more comic book movies into production.

I know it'll happen, but due to the sheer number of unanticipated events (will Mickey have a heart attack before IM2 opens?) I have given up on predicting a date.

Actually JC is going to be close,wait till 2013 by then all the major marvel movies will have been made, a few will not be at the level of Iron Man 1 and interest of a lot of the silver age books will drop significantly.The best thing that ever happen to the silverage books was that marvel has taken a few years to make them, this has caused interest to grow. Other then the uber high grade books or golden age keys, most of the books will not be a wise investment raw or cgc.sad but true.Most comics are worthless with a few high grade keys that have kept the interest alive like AF 15 or Detective 27. You have 90 percent of comic books that have to be sold for pennies on the dollar or sold as cheap lots on Ebay.This looks like it will get even worse with trade paperbacks and now digital comics around the corner.

The fact is that you were dead wrong. I`d just like to see you admit it.

I have admitted several times that unprecedented market forces and events have artificially extended this speculative bubble far beyond what I, and others, anticipated and I do admit I was dead wrong there.

The growth of online commission shops is probably the most surprising, as I never imagined the sheer number of new entrants and the growth of the existing class. I knew Marvel and Co. would milk their remaining properties, but no one could have predicted that Heath Ledger would die and create a mass market binge on The Dark Knight, thereby driving even more comic book movies into production.

I know it'll happen, but due to the sheer number of unanticipated events (will Mickey have a heart attack before IM2 opens?) I have given up on predicting a date.

Gonna bookmark this page.

The thing is. If you continually say that the comic book market is going to rise, or is going to fall, you will be right. No matter which way you go.

You can do that with just about anything. THAT is not having a special understanding or insight. THAT is just throwing something out there and waiting until you are vindicated because it happened.

Eventually.

If someone wants to "put out there" that such and such book is going to skyrocket in price, OR such and such thing is going to happen, and it doesn't. Then just say "I called it wrong", without all of the "cover your arse" excuses about this or that, that caused my "prediction" not to happen, BUT IT WILL SOMEDAY.

Anytime someone predicts something in this hobby, I pay attention to the outcome of that prediction and then base my assessment of their "prediction ability" on their previous correctness, or lack thereof.

The guys that usually know what they are talking about, are those guys who have been around a long time and have seen various things come and go.

That is why the President has to be a certain age. Intelligence is not just being able to spell "speculative", but is being able to know the difference between "speculative" and "probable".

It is probable that comic books (just like the stock market) will go up and down.

Duh

Gonna bookmark this page.

The thing is. If you continually say that the comic book market is going to rise, or is going to fall, you will be right. No matter which way you go.

You can do that with just about anything. THAT is not having a special understanding or insight. THAT is just throwing something out there and waiting until you are vindicated because it happened.

Eventually.

Duh

Yep. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. There are very few certainties in this hobby, but one of them would be that everyone with interests in it, regardless of experience or expertise in all areas of the market, believes in their predictions.

when i got back into comics in 2001 i was buying stuff i liked( amaz spiderman coppers) in cgc 9.8s for crazy prices. every now and then i would buy a high grade silver age and looking back it seems almost all of the copper prices have fallen but the silvers that i purchased have gone up. i guess if i was just trying to invest i would buy golden or silver age but if you are not buying what you like the hobby is pointless imo.

when i got back into comics in 2001 i was buying stuff i liked( amaz spiderman coppers) in cgc 9.8s for crazy prices. every now and then i would buy a high grade silver age and looking back it seems almost all of the copper prices have fallen but the silvers that i purchased have gone up. i guess if i was just trying to invest i would buy golden or silver age but if you are not buying what you like the hobby is pointless imo.

is the key word, you werent buying mid-grade or low grade bronze or copper.

(thumbs u