• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why quote GPA on ungraded books ????

332 posts in this topic

Here's a question for you though: is it ok to price books according to GPA minus the costs for slabbing?

So, let's say I have a book in raw that is a solid Fine 6.0 in raw. GPA on this book is $150, and assuming it would have cost $50 in total for slabbing and shipping, is it fair to price the books $100 (GPA - Slabbing Fees)?

I mean, obviously, sellers can always price how they want, but do you feel this is a fair use of GPA as a pricing tool? I've never really had too much of a problem with people quoting GPA when pricing raw books, but I've always felt they failed to take into account the costs for slabbing that are essentially factored into the overall price GPA reports.

It's pretty simple. GPA was created to track the sales prices of CGC graded comics - period. That's why they call it "GPA for CGC Comics". :makepoint:

People who do quote GPA prices when selling raw comics are only fooling themselves. Their raw books aren't actually worth that much until they're actually in the slab at that grade. Isn't that why CGC exists? To professionally verify the grade (and to detect restoration)? (shrug)

personally I would like to also know what the book is in Overstreet -- I dont mind using GPA data on real hot raw books like Showcase #22 or Green Lantern #76-- but on common books like -- oh -- Amazing Spiderman #53 in 7.0 raw , I dont give a hoot what the GPA is as it is totally irrelevant to the book ....

It's pretty simple. GPA was created to track the sales prices of CGC graded comics - period. That's why they call it "GPA for CGC Comics". :makepoint:

People who do quote GPA prices when selling raw comics are only fooling themselves. Their raw books aren't actually worth that much until they're actually in the slab at that grade. Isn't that why CGC exists? To professionally verify the grade (and to detect restoration)? (shrug)

(thumbs u A 9.8 raw of a key book such as NM 98 is worth a lot less than a 9.8 CGC NM 98 even when factoring in the cost of slabbing. Fior lesser books both in grade and keyness (is that a word) this is less and less true.

I guess Golden Age is a different animal than the later eras where super high grade books come into play. I'd have no problem paying GPA for a raw mid-grade Action war cover. In fact, I've done it many times. If the buyer knows how to grade, and spot resto, there's little danger of losing out on the deal. Heck, it's not uncommon to get a bargain on a book that's been undergraded.

personally I would like to also know what the book is in Overstreet -- I dont mind using GPA data on real hot raw books like Showcase #22 or Green Lantern #76-- but on common books like -- oh -- Amazing Spiderman #53 in 7.0 raw , I dont give a hoot what the GPA is as it is totally irrelevant to the book ....

On that example, so's Overstreet. (thumbs u

Exactly. In a lot of cases, quoting GPA rather than Overstreet will bring the price down, not up.

This is such a stupid topic. I used to quote GPA when selling some raw books where it was important to note. I don't think I even priced it at GPA - slab fees. I discounted on top of that to account for uncertainty in grading. But that doesn't make GPA any less important as a benchmark for information.

Then misinformed posts like this popped up and JC was threadcrapping my sales thread, I (I think) stopped doing it for raw books. You know what I do now? I do the same analysis and price my raw books the same way (where it makes sense - i.e., I only ever did for UHG BA books I think), all the while without actually quoting GPA. Now you tell me. Which is better for the buyer? To know what GPA is and to compare or not to quote it all?

Personally, I did it to give a basis for the price I was asking.

very true- but the book at a small % of Overstreet say in a $10 box is more realistic than the same raw book at a bit under GPA say $50 ( which GPA is $61 on the book )

And for the record, Overstreet can be just as inapplicable to any particular book. So I never understand the hue and cry not to quote GPA and only to quote OPG for raw books.

The answer is simple, no one wants to leave money on the table

I was going to say the same thing, but it is a broken outlook on selling.

If you have not taken the time and money to submit a book into CGC, have it definitely come back in the grade you stated, and then come to the table with a slabbed guaranteed grade, you have no leg to stand on.

This is just lazy greed on trying to squeeze everything out of a book that doesn't deserve the price, and if someone pays the price that is their call and gamble.

Too many sellers do a quick scan of the front cover and call it a 9.8, and do not look at the back cover or inside pages in detail. Then, later when the book comes back from CGC as something less, they are shocked.

And for the record, Overstreet can be just as inapplicable to any particular book. So I never understand the hue and cry not to quote GPA and only to quote OPG for raw books.
on raw books that matter quoting both sources is good -- on super hot books GPA would be the prefered data -- but on general midgrade drek that sits in boxes at shows at 50% off the 1996 overstreet would be best for pricing data

Why quote GPA on ungraded books ????

Because if the book is graded accurately, then the only difference in the price would be the grading fees.

Plus, if they didn't, we wouldn't be blessed with glorious threads such as these to interuprt the dull monotony of the day. (worship)

Mike this has been discussed ad naseum. There are many facets or sides to this discussion and it's unfair to label all sellers with the same question.

I'll try to elaborate:

Some books are worth well over guide, and the only other accurate way of figuring that out is by using a source other than a guide. Since most people here are not dealers, they go to places like GPA to figure out price trends.

Now GPA is made specifically to track previous sales of CGC graded books, but it will also show you trends of certain books that will sell over guide and how much over guide they sell for.

The reason why the books are worth over guide is important. Some are worth more simply because of the grade. Some are worth more because they are rare or scarce, or just popular at that point in time.

Since people get peeved when a seller with raw books sells books quoting GPA prices for relative grades, maybe someone can explain how to figure out fair market value for all of those books that are not even remotely accurately priced in the guide?

Furthermore, for a large segment of the hobby, where people do not care about the grade but only care about finding a copy of a rare book, the slab is incidental...meaning the buyer did not pay for the book based on the slabbed grade, they simply paid for the book based on the fact that they could find a copy. The slab may have just been a nice transport mechanism until the book finds it's way to them and then they crack it out.

So you have different markets.

You have buyers of slabs for the grades.

You have buyers of slabs for only the resto check.

You have buyers of slabs for the reason that it was the only way they could find the book.

I just don't see a problem with quoting GPA as a general information tool when the price is related. As long as the grading is tight, and the info presented is fair, the buyer can make an informed decision.

If the buyer does not feel comfortable buying raw books (I happen to be ok with it) then don't. Politely stay out of the thread and refrain from making thread crapping comments and buy your books slabbed.

I've sold many books raw that have come back in the same grade or higher than advertised. I have had a few come back lower but not many. It happens.

It's important to remember that a transaction needs to be fair to both buyer and seller. There is no perfect world. There is communication and manners that make up for the lack of a perfect world though.

(thumbs u

The answer is simple, no one wants to leave money on the table

I was going to say the same thing, but it is a broken outlook on selling.

If you have not taken the time and money to submit a book into CGC, have it definitely come back in the grade you stated, and then come to the table with a slabbed guaranteed grade, you have no leg to stand on.

This is just lazy greed on trying to squeeze everything out of a book that doesn't deserve the price, and if someone pays the price that is their call and gamble.

Too many sellers do a quick scan of the front cover and call it a 9.8, and do not look at the back cover or inside pages in detail and then later when the book comes back something less, they are shocked.

When a raw book is listed at multiples with a GPA reference I usually guarantee the grade. Often the book has been undergraded (not always, but enough times to sting) and the book gets slabbed and ends up being worth much more than I sold it for.

It cuts both ways. The key is to be fair to both buyer and seller.

The buyer can choose to shop there or leave the thread and find another.

It's like a store you walk in to. If you don't want to buy anything, just walk back out. Don't go yelling at the store owner because you don't like his set up.

If you feel the store owner has overpriced something, most people are open to a private conversation, but you don't go yelling it across the store to make a point.

This is such a stupid topic. I used to quote GPA when selling some raw books where it was important to note. I don't think I even priced it at GPA - slab fees. I discounted on top of that to account for uncertainty in grading. But that doesn't make GPA any less important as a benchmark for information.

Then misinformed posts like this popped up and JC was threadcrapping my sales thread, I (I think) stopped doing it for raw books. You know what I do now? I do the same analysis and price my raw books the same way (where it makes sense - i.e., I only ever did for UHG BA books I think), all the while without actually quoting GPA. Now you tell me. Which is better for the buyer? To know what GPA is and to compare or not to quote it all?

Personally, I did it to give a basis for the price I was asking.

(thumbs u

Nothing wrong with giving the potential buyers more information to base their purchase on.

I know that GPA prices are for CGC graded books. I know that. However, if someone tells me what the GPA is for the raw book he's selling, I can keep that info in my mind and use it to help me determine whether to purchase the book or not. If I were to slab it myself, I now know approximately what it is "worth".

Nothing wrong with being more informed.

Andy 2c