• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete Restoration Experiments

469 posts in this topic

DSC02279.jpg

DSC02343.jpg

Mike, mike, mike.

Mike.

Dood.

While this cover was a TERRIBLE example to try and CT because of how far washed out the inks were, it does not give you the liberty to redraw the cover as you see fit. :makepoint:

It's one thing to not apply, or match the CT correctly while you practice. And another to completely reposition Reeds leg, rearrange Things rocks, or color in the word YELL. I mean the sky background did not really need much work, yet it is now all one shade of turquoise. But I can sympathize with your intent.

CT is difficult on many levels. So I applaud you trying new techniques to get desired results, and posting your results.

My comments probably sound overly critical to most, I say them because I know you need direction.( and we are all you got right now) So I say keep your CT limited to the original artwork no matter how bad you are able to match it.. In time you should figure out the fine line between what to hit, and what to leave alone.

It's ok to just hit a few major areas to lessen the shock, without having to re touch everything you see. Not every book can be made perfect, nor should you try.

But again, I know this was a practice book so you went for it.

You asked for feedback, so I obliged.

It's one thing to not apply, or match the CT correctly while you practice. And another to completely reposition Reeds leg, rearrange Things rocks, or color in the word YELL. I mean the sky background did not really need much work, yet it is now all one shade of turquoise. But I can sympathize with your intent.

ff_anim.gif

:doh: Colors are much brighter now. Looks like the entire sky was painted over. All the lines in the buildings, too. They are completely different now. Can this really be called restoration?

Classic MasterCPU hilarity.

ff_anim.gif

:doh: Colors are much brighter now. Looks like the entire sky was painted over. All the lines in the buildings, too. They are completely different now. Can this really be called restoration?

Classic MasterCPU hilarity.

I know you planned this as an insult and I know you don't like me but I want to compliment you on the before after gif. You did an awsome job any spent allot of time on it and I think thats great. I can't figure our how you croped the before picture so perfectly and super imposed it . Thank you. (thumbs u

Mike, mike, mike.

Mike.

Dood.

While this cover was a TERRIBLE example to try and CT because of how far washed out the inks were, it does not give you the liberty to redraw the cover as you see fit. :makepoint:

Ok I get it, stick to the original design.

CT is difficult on many levels. So I applaud you trying new techniques to get desired results, and posting your results.

Thanks Kenny, it reeally wasn't a good case for CT, I was just having fun with it.

My comments probably sound overly critical to most, I say them because I know you need direction.( and we are all you got right now) So I say keep your CT limited to the original artwork no matter how bad you are able to match it.. In time you should figure out the fine line between what to hit, and what to leave alone.

Thanks for the advise.

It's ok to just hit a few major areas to lessen the shock, without having to re touch everything you see. Not every book can be made perfect, nor should you try.

That is definitely a problem for me. I re-touch one area and think to myself, now this other area doesn't look as good so I keep going like a train with no brakes.

But again, I know this was a practice book so you went for it.

You asked for feedback, so I obliged.

I sure do, and all feedback is welcome. I learn from every comment even if it's not right away. Even Cheesy's comments tell me something.

I also consider you a role model Kenny and I consider every word you say to be solid gold. :)

This isn't my area of expertise and I'm not much of a Silver Age collector either, but I came across this thread and find it very interesting. The extent of the restoration here shows an impressive amount of work, though it reminds me of William Blake's adage that "you don't know what's enough until you know what's more than enough."

Since the title of this thread is "restoration experiments," does that mean this is more of a case-study or practice effort?

I would also be very curious to know how CGC would grade this, or whether there is some cut-off point at which they won't grade a restored comic because too much of it is different from the original.

I'll chime in here whether I can or not.

Mike is an aspiring restorer. Perhaps that is not the correct term or title,

and I do appologize to anyone [Ken or Mike} that it may pizzzoff.

When he first appearred in a couple of different forums around the web

trying to share his efforts, the vituperous attacks were like an avalanche.

Mike took more insults, more castigation than you can imagine. Way, way

more than was probably necessary. Many on this board, and they do indeed

know who they are, threw nothing but insults and inuendo at Mike for

openly attempting to learn about this subject in public. Until he and Kenny

had the balz to push the subject out into the public forums, resto was a

"hush hush, no I never, it wasn't me" subject. Anyone that collects comics

for more than a month has tried to flatten a waffley comic. Anyone that

denies this is an outright liar, and should check the condition of his sole

and manhood.

Mike has openly displayed his efforts for all to see. Some of us understand

that the "learning" is often more important than the "result". I no longer

try to build furniture. I enjoyed the effort, the results sucked.

Whether anyone appreciates what Mike is attempting to learn is moot.

Whether anyone appreciates Mike's results is moot.

Mike is giving us all an education, out in the public limelight, for free.

We're all learning from his successes and failures. My hat is off to Mike

for sticking with it for the past 2+ years. Good show !

and manhood.

:applause:

Dagnabit you're right! :preach: And Mike has really been taking the comments, innuendo insults etc. in a remarkably mature and accepting way. Good for him! And he certainly is making progress. Yes, the color touch was way too much - color "touch" is a good thing to keep in mind! :grin:

But we have all seen Mike go too far on a process/processes, get the feedback then make the corrections and rein in his enthusiasms... enthusiasms ...enthusiasms.

and manhood.

I think you need to re-read some of the threads especially prior to when he realized he needed to change his approach.

While I was one of Mike's biggest detractors in the beginning it was for a couple of reasons that are well documented in those threads. I think he has come a long way and a lot of what he does is impressive especially the way he has picked up on the leaf casting.

I do agree with the comments about the color touch though. Mike, sometimes less is more. Kind of like the girl in high school who wore way to much make-up. She looked real good from far away but once you get up close.... :fear:

It would be more impressive if you showed us a book where it would be a challenge to find the color touch rather than find where it's not. That aside, nice job with this last book. :foryou:

Note to self, cut back on the color touch. :tonofbricks: It looks like everyone agree's this book got too much color touch but how about that leaf casting eh? That was really the whole reason this book was resurected otherwise I would have passed due to the washed out inks. The next book I show you all will reflect what I have learned today. :) less is more, less is more, less is more. I just need to say it 100 more times. :insane:

This isn't my area of expertise and I'm not much of a Silver Age collector either, but I came across this thread and find it very interesting. The extent of the restoration here shows an impressive amount of work, though it reminds me of William Blake's adage that "you don't know what's enough until you know what's more than enough."

Since the title of this thread is "restoration experiments," does that mean this is more of a case-study or practice effort?

Its a practice effort and learning experience. I dont have a proffesional teaching me so allot of what I am doing is figuring out how to do it all.

I would also be very curious to know how CGC would grade this, or whether there is some cut-off point at which they won't grade a restored comic because too much of it is different from the original.

It would be funny to send it in but I never will nor will I torture someone else with owning it.

But we have all seen Mike go too far on a process/processes, get the feedback then make the corrections and rein in his enthusiasms... enthusiasms ...enthusiasms.

I hope that last part (a reference to Robert DeNiro in "The Untouchables") doesn't mean you're about to crack somebody over the head with a baseball bat.

and manhood.

I think you need to re-read some of the threads especially prior to when he realized he needed to change his approach.

While I was one of Mike's biggest detractors in the beginning it was for a couple of reasons that are well documented in those threads. I think he has come a long way and a lot of what he does is impressive especially the way he has picked up on the leaf casting.

I do agree with the comments about the color touch though. Mike, sometimes less is more. Kind of like the girl in high school who wore way to much make-up. She looked real good from far away but once you get up close.... :fear:

It would be more impressive if you showed us a book where it would be a challenge to find the color touch rather than find where it's not. That aside, nice job with this last book. :foryou:

U.S. - Been following Mike since he popped up on CBR and others et al,

I agree with all your comments. And I also agree with the color "touch".

More, and please forgive my rough analogy Mike, like a broadstroke.

Far be it from me to even offer critique on the subject. But again, it's good

to see someone experiment, to make the endeavour to learn. So many of

us just poo-poo the subject. I'm not interested in highgrade comics, but

I do collect low and midgrade that are in need of preservation. It's a whole

lot more economical to purchase a nice PLOD when I no longer appreciate

nor desire a premium copy of a comic.

AND if you want to run the endeavour out, I collect U.S, postage stamps.

Pressing is a given, as is water cleaning a given. And while encapsulation

hasn't gained traction in that hobby field, it has and continues to have a

pressence. And authentication is even more expensive than in comics for

a tiny postage stamp. I currently play with what are called "Washington-Franklins",

that are notorious for alteration. They all look to the naked eye alike.

Color touch, reperfing, outright forgery is all standard fare in that field.

Hey all, I am still waiting for my cast to come off my right hand so it's small projects right now. One of the things I am told professional comic book restorers avoid is dot halftones. I asked one specific professional about it and here is what I was told. There are still too many GA books that don't have that problem to worry about it yet. For some reason I am strongly attracted to working on SA books. Maybe it's because I have a open mind about which books to restore and what era. As most of you know my color touch skills are super rough so anything I can do to improve them is a bonus. Allot of the over done color touch I do is to cover up the fact I am adding solid color to an area that originally had dots. Like I said my hand is in a cast and sore so I am going to keep this short. If you have questions please ask. Even though I am just showing a small area today, I will have large area's to show soon. I will even be able to recreate whole images and whole sections so even if it's not a halftone but hard to hand paint I can duplicate it from a high res scan and won't have to worry about a hand painted look. Things like text will be easy such as IND and comic code text as well as back covers with the small typeset. Stay tuned for more exciting revolutionary approaches.

In this image I show you before, after leaf casting and then touch up.

3way.jpg

I just noticed it cropped the bottom, stupid scanner. :frustrated:

:Edit: Looks like this post will be a work in progress. I literally did this work an hour and a half ago and apparently it was too soon. I will update ASAP.

Interesting. Did you print it on there, or use some kind of ink transfer/rub method?

Looks like chit, but demonstrates that a technique might be perfected to make it look better.