• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete Restoration Experiments

469 posts in this topic

Finally, I am done with this book. To recap from the previous post this was a brittle cover with the whole spine missing. I Washed, sized, leafcasted and painted. Last was to try some inking on the IND, Marvel Comics box, the gal’s face and orange along the spine. Fold the cover, and attach the staples.

There are many mistake’s along the way especial for the new task of air brushing. The “N” was a train wreck that kept getting worse the more I messed with it. A lot of mistakes I didn’t try to fix is because this is a practice book I own and I am more interested in applying what I learned to do it better from the start next time.

I always try to show my books even with all the error’s just hoping you might see it like I do, much better than the before look, but still needs improving. I just need to practice more CT for a while and I should get there sooner or later.

Thank you for checking out my work and I hope to have something new to show in a few weeks.

Before

IMG_0001-22.jpg

After

IMG_0003-12.jpg

Before

IMG_0003-11.jpg

After

IMG_0004-11.jpg

Obviously it looks like a restored book, but considering what you started with (a brittle POS), anything that makes the book into a readable comic book again is a win.

Your color matching needs work, but I don't think anyone could have made that book look like a seamless, unrestored book.

I almost think it would have been better to leafcast the book and not CT it at all, given all of the wrinkles that you had to leave behind. Of course, it is easy to say that after the fact. There's no way to know how it's going to turn out until you try, and if it is a brittle book you're starting with, it's sort of like conducting medical experiments on a cadaver. There's nothing to lose by trying.

Obviously it looks like a restored book, but considering what you started with (a brittle POS), anything that makes the book into a readable comic book again is a win.

Your color matching needs work, but I don't think anyone could have made that book look like a seamless, unrestored book.

I almost think it would have been better to leafcast the book and not CT it at all, given all of the wrinkles that you had to leave behind. Of course, it is easy to say that after the fact. There's no way to know how it's going to turn out until you try, and if it is a brittle book you're starting with, it's sort of like conducting medical experiments on a cadaver. There's nothing to lose by trying.

I agree with these points. As long as you keep working at it and continue to be selective on what you CT your results should improve.

I'll chime in here whether I can or not.

Mike is an aspiring restorer. Perhaps that is not the correct term or title,

and I do appologize to anyone [Ken or Mike} that it may pizzzoff.

When he first appearred in a couple of different forums around the web

trying to share his efforts, the vituperous attacks were like an avalanche.

Mike took more insults, more castigation than you can imagine. Way, way

more than was probably necessary. Many on this board, and they do indeed

know who they are, threw nothing but insults and inuendo at Mike for

openly attempting to learn about this subject in public. Until he and Kenny

had the balz to push the subject out into the public forums, resto was a

"hush hush, no I never, it wasn't me" subject. Anyone that collects comics

for more than a month has tried to flatten a waffley comic. Anyone that

denies this is an outright liar, and should check the condition of his sole

and manhood.

Mike has openly displayed his efforts for all to see. Some of us understand

that the "learning" is often more important than the "result". I no longer

try to build furniture. I enjoyed the effort, the results sucked.

Whether anyone appreciates what Mike is attempting to learn is moot.

Whether anyone appreciates Mike's results is moot.

Mike is giving us all an education, out in the public limelight, for free.

We're all learning from his successes and failures. My hat is off to Mike

for sticking with it for the past 2+ years. Good show !

I know this comment is old and I'm not a regular poster on these boards (I do enjoy perusing this forum from time to time) but, if I'm not mistaken, (MCP) Mike was under such a barrage at first because of:

1. his online store offering restoration services and sales of such books, and

2. his "experimentation" with key books.

I believe he put up quite a defense until he eventually succumbed to the pressure and put the store on hold. Wasn't there also a grading type service similar to CGC and PGX where the holder was an oversized mylar of some sort (I can't remember the initials... "A" something something). I was one on the CPG boards who defended him at first until I was pointed toward things I was unaware (like the store).

I applaud Mike's openness now, but am cautious. According to posts, a lot of people are sending Mike books to work/practice on and he himself has been selling a lot of comics both on ebay and here (the ones on ebay offer a "professional" pressing for an additional $10). I'm certain all things, if any, are fully disclosed to any possible buyers, but like I said, I'm cautious... today's buyers are tomorrow's potential sellers.

and manhood.

I know this comment is old and I'm not a regular poster on these boards (I do enjoy perusing this forum from time to time) but, if I'm not mistaken, (MCP) Mike was under such a barrage at first because of:

I believe he put up quite a defense until he eventually succumbed to the pressure and put the store on hold. Wasn't there also a grading type service similar to CGC and PGX where the holder was an oversized mylar of some sort (I can't remember the initials... "A" something something). I was one on the CPG boards who defended him at first until I was pointed toward things I was unaware (like the store).

I applaud Mike's openness now, but am cautious. According to posts, a lot of people are sending Mike books to work/practice on and he himself has been selling a lot of comics both on ebay and here (the ones on ebay offer a "professional" pressing for an additional $10). I'm certain all things, if any, are fully disclosed to any possible buyers, but like I said, I'm cautious... today's buyers are tomorrow's potential sellers.

Caution is understandable. I make the assumption I am being watched and act accordingly. I rarely sell a restored practice book on eBAy. I had a few Iron man’s but that’s it. I pressed just a few books but that’s it. Most I keep on my wall for they really are still amateur workings. When I do sell a book that has had work, I disclose all work. I go the extra mile and disclose pressing even though it might discourage a buyer from buying while so many undisclosed books by other sellers get credit for being higher grade. I always try to do the right thing but don't always know what the right thing to do is. The books I do for other have no more risk of spreading undisclosed than done by a professional. If anything my extensive restore's are obvious to any wood be buyer. I don't paint a spine tick on an otherwise high grade book because I believe in honest disclosure. When I see purple 9.2’s with small CT it disappoints me because I know that was done with the intent to deceive. Sure I made some mistake’s in the beginning, but that was just from a lack of awareness that what I was doing was causing harm. All I can say is I am more upfront then most, so maybe caution will be converted to trust with time. I got time, I am 43 and want to do this far into retirement. I can only do so many books at a time anyways so no big hurry to open to the masses. I am content with doing some boardie’s books and picking up a press or 2 from a eBay customer and that’s it.

The Forums have been invaluable in giving me the feedback I need to be the best I can be at what I am trying to do and I thank all of you for your input. :)

Excellent honest response. Even in the rough times Mike was disclosing his work if he sold his books. He has often gone much further than many in what exactly he discloses and I commend him for that. The fact that he recognizes the varying opinions on what constitutes restoration is very, very commendable.

This point is also a very good one "The books I do for other have no more risk of spreading undisclosed than done by a professional." There are many books out there that have "lost" their restoration certificates over the years as well as a great many books that have had treatments done to them that many would consider restorative on the market today. Mike has always taken the approach that it is best to let all be know and preserve the SATISFACTION of his customers than risk his reputation to secure more money.

Mike has made mistakes but as he has learned and listened those have been corrected and that is something that is surprisingly rare in this community. Of course caution with ANY transaction is always a good thing. Mike is, however, a FAR cry from some people out there working the market as we speak.

Finally, I am done with this book. To recap from the previous post this was a brittle cover with the whole spine missing. I Washed, sized, leafcasted and painted. Last was to try some inking on the IND, Marvel Comics box, the gal’s face and orange along the spine. Fold the cover, and attach the staples.

There are many mistake’s along the way especial for the new task of air brushing. The “N” was a train wreck that kept getting worse the more I messed with it. A lot of mistakes I didn’t try to fix is because this is a practice book I own and I am more interested in applying what I learned to do it better from the start next time.

I always try to show my books even with all the error’s just hoping you might see it like I do, much better than the before look, but still needs improving. I just need to practice more CT for a while and I should get there sooner or later.

Thank you for checking out my work and I hope to have something new to show in a few weeks.

Before

IMG_0001-22.jpg

After

IMG_0003-12.jpg

Before

IMG_0003-11.jpg

After

IMG_0004-11.jpg

Thats one serious franken-book you made yourself there meh

One thing I notice looking at it again is that you did not replace the "IND." below the CCA box. The CCA box is also different. IMO I would not have replaced the "N" in "Men" or the CCA stamp.

One thing I notice looking at it again is that you did not replace the "IND." below the CCA box. The CCA box is also different. IMO I would not have replaced the "N" in "Men" or the CCA stamp.

Thanks for the all your feedback. ;) The IND is there , it just came out light. The CCA was an unfortunate overlay due to the leaf casting mishap. I really hate overlay's but sometimes there is no other option.

and manhood.

Right - there is some revisionist history in Towards2112's recounting of history. I was one of Mike's detractors when he first started posting because he was doing amateurish work on key books - not because he's evil, but simply because he was fascinated by the process of restoration and didn't realize that there was a better way to learn restoration (i.e., by using beaters/worthless books for experiments).

The thing that impressed me about Mike the most at the beginning is that he had an almost limitless capacity to take harsh criticism from people who thought he was ruining books. He genuinely wanted to learn about restoration the right way, although his resources did not necessarily allow him to run a museum-quality restoration shop or get a degree in conservation.

He has done a lot of learning and has put in a lot of work to learn restoration. He still has a long way to go, but he has made big strides. Part of the problem is that Mike likes to do extensive work on silver age books, which do not generally lend themselves to massive color touch or structural work because the cover stock is so thin and the inks so fragile. With golden age books (like a bunch of cheap Dells), he would probably see much better results from the same techniques.

Of course, there is always the chance that by beating his head against the proverbial wall (extensively restoring silver age books) for long enough, Mike may stumble upon a technique that hasn't been tried before and could make restoration of silver age books easier.

Mike has made mistakes but as he has learned and listened those have been corrected and that is something that is surprisingly rare in this community. Of course caution with ANY transaction is always a good thing. Mike is, however, a FAR cry from some people out there working the market as we speak.

True. Mike may not be the world's best restorer, but he's honest and is not some crook trying to sneak restoration past people. Out of all of the conversations I've ever had with Mike via PM (and there have been a lot of them), he has never, not once, asked me a question that gave me the impression that he was trying to sneak restoration past CGC.

and manhood.

Caution is understandable. I make the assumption I am being watched and act accordingly. I rarely sell a restored practice book on eBAy. I had a few Iron man’s but that’s it. I pressed just a few books but that’s it. Most I keep on my wall for they really are still amateur workings. When I do sell a book that has had work, I disclose all work. I go the extra mile and disclose pressing even though it might discourage a buyer from buying while so many undisclosed books by other sellers get credit for being higher grade. I always try to do the right thing but don't always know what the right thing to do is. The books I do for other have no more risk of spreading undisclosed than done by a professional. If anything my extensive restore's are obvious to any wood be buyer. I don't paint a spine tick on an otherwise high grade book because I believe in honest disclosure. When I see purple 9.2’s with small CT it disappoints me because I know that was done with the intent to deceive. Sure I made some mistake’s in the beginning, but that was just from a lack of awareness that what I was doing was causing harm. All I can say is I am more upfront then most, so maybe caution will be converted to trust with time. I got time, I am 43 and want to do this far into retirement. I can only do so many books at a time anyways so no big hurry to open to the masses. I am content with doing some boardie’s books and picking up a press or 2 from a eBay customer and that’s it.

The Forums have been invaluable in giving me the feedback I need to be the best I can be at what I am trying to do and I thank all of you for your input. :)

:applause:

Before

IMG_0001-22.jpg

After

IMG_0003-12.jpg

Before

IMG_0003-11.jpg

After

IMG_0004-11.jpg

Thats one serious franken-book you made yourself there meh

Frankenbook that it may be, it's readable and you can probably flip through it without the sawdust and flying paper effects. I have an xmen 4 that needs similar, albeit a bit better treatment...if MasterCPU wants to experiment on another xmen 4 for me, I'd give him a shot.......just to see how much better he can do.

Good on 'im...looks like he's having fun.

102723.jpg.18c2c6c524c55a6d02217d14e64d4be2.jpg