• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing 503

9 posts in this topic

I read it last night. It was so bad I forget what the story was about. I think my mind is blocking it from my memory to save me the trauma of remembering reading that POS.

So what happened?

read it and it looks like they are just tying up the loose threads from past Straz storylines (ie 500) - I checked early vol 2 Thor and saw that Romita Jr. had been drawing Loki and Asgardians pretty consistently (bad, however) from 2-3 years back...

looks like Strazcynski brought in Top Cow/Joe's Comics writer Fiona Avery - and just like Top Cow recent storylines there are a lot of losse dangling plots that need tightening and resolution - this may not have been the way to go... keep Spidey out of hor's world. Bring Thor current story back to the present time, don't go writing it into ASM.

It's a set up issue, I'll hold off and see before I condemn it. Book is ripe for dropping from monthly sub just based on the terrible art work; if story gets any worse confused-smiley-013.gif

I wasn't completely annoyed by this as some of you were, but I definitely think Amazing is NOT at the top of JMS' attention span, which must be why he brought in Fiona Avery in the first place.

Since Avery came on a few months back I've found the book has been in freefall.

I hear that JRJR is currently on holiday, but when he gets back there are plans for him to pencil 26 (!) issues of ASM this year alone. I know he can do it (he used to pencil Spidey and Thor at the same time) but this is bordering on insanity. Is it any wonder that some of the work looks rushed?

Don't get me wrong, JRJR is this generation's consummate Spidey artist, and even his rushed work is preferrable to the OTHER Spidey art teams like Ramos and Herrera... but I think they are working him WAY too hard, or at the very least giving him the option to work way too hard, as I know he can draw 'em if he has too...

...but I don't think JMS and/or Avery can consistantly write 26 SOLID issues of ASM for John to draw in the first place!

Kev

Don't get me wrong, JRJR is this generation's consummate Spidey artist, and even his rushed work is preferrable to the OTHER Spidey art teams like Ramos and Herrera... but I think they are working him WAY too hard, or at the very least giving him the option to work way too hard, as I know he can draw 'em if he has too...

...but I don't think JMS and/or Avery can consistantly write 26 SOLID issues of ASM for John to draw in the first place!

Kev

I agree totally. The JMS & JRjr team started out great when they had the time to produce quality work. I would certainly rather see 12 quality issues than 26 average/poor ones. Unfortunately Marvel's policy seems to be that if something is successful, they milk it for all it is worth as quickly as they can. frown.gif