• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why isn't there more demand for Mickey Mouse comics ??

59 posts in this topic

not much demand for mickey mouse is cause he is lame.

I agree ...... but he was so popular in the 1930's and his popularity has never ceased for 80 years. But it has not translated into a demand for Mickey comics.

throw a cape on Mickey and you get Mighty Mouse, who seems to be more in demand in comics...but, Mickey Mouse seems to dominate the Disney Collectibles (over Donald or any other Disney character) arena but not comics for some reason. My mom is a huge Mickey and Minnie Mouse collector. She easily has 1000+ items, but this past year for Mother's Day I gave her two Mickey Mouse Magazine Comics from 1939 and 1940--she didn't seem as enthused about them as she is a new figurine or toy item--probably because she had never seem a slab before :P

On another note, these characters seem to be the most highly recognizable and marketable for kids and the general public:

Mickey Mouse

Batman

Superman

Spider-Man

Wolverine

To tell you the truth, I'm perfectly fine with Mickey NOT being in great demand. That just means I wont have as much trouble picking them up .....nor will I have to pay an arm and a leg

I think that one of the mani reasons no funny animal books are ever in demand is the lack of "key issues". Other than first appearances, #1 issues, and Barks art, what other keys are there?

The same goes for war and crime books to a certain extent ..... not that many key issues.

But the superhero comics are littered with "key issues". Mind you, key issues are basically what Bob Overstreet has defined as being a key issue over the years, but collectors agreed with him and pushed the prices up on most of the books he identified as being keys.

I think that one of the mani reasons no funny animal books are ever in demand is the lack of "key issues". Other than first appearances, #1 issues, and Barks art, what other keys are there?

The same goes for war and crime books to a certain extent ..... not that many key issues.

But the superhero comics are littered with "key issues". Mind you, key issues are basically what Bob Overstreet has defined as being a key issue over the years, but collectors agreed with him and pushed the prices up on most of the books he identified as being keys.

This brings up an interesting point. Almost ALL "key issues" are about the introduction of some new character, either evil or good. To the writer, its just another chapter in the progression of their story. Shouldn't an issue be a key because its hard to find ? When trying to put a run together, if issue #16 is limited to 75 copies left on earth......then THAT is a key issue. The way it is now, ts more about some kind of character worship. :P

Believe me he is still popular,The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is a huge ratings winner on the Disney Channel with the kids and Mickey has even begun to get a cult older following with this videogame series he stars in called Kingdom Hearts.In this series he is known as King Mickey.

If you think about it, he still is the star of a major series on a network plus a star in a popular videogames series.More people will have exposure to Mickey this way then if he was in a monthly comic at the good old lcs.

:)

kingdom-hearts.jpg

Believe me he is still popular,The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is a hugh ratings winner on the Disney Channel with the kids and Mickey has even begun to get a cult older following with this videogame series he stars in called Kingdom Hearts.In this series he is known as King Mickey.

If you think about it, he still is the star of a major series on a network plus a star in a popular videogames series.More people will have exposure to Mickey this way then if he was in a monthly comic at the good old lcs.

:)

20060426-screen-kingdomhearts2.jpg

I think this kind of distills the issue with characters like Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse. They are cartoon stars. With animation and funny voices and great musical scores etc. They do not translate well to the comic medium because we are used to the cartoons. The same thing is part of why kids don't like reading comics about the characters we grew up with. Why read Spider-man comics when you can play Web of Shadows on the PS3? Why read X-Men when you can watch the movie?

My companion question to the main question in this thread is why is there no demand for Bugs Bunny? I've only met three Bugs collectors in my life.

BUGS was always my favorite cartoon when I was a kid. I could still watch them today and be highly entertained, as long as they are not those censored versions with all the good violence cut out.

Why Bugs isn't a bigger niche is a little perplexing. I'd guess that probably 85-90% of the members here (and collectors) were raised on a steady diet of Bugs. I know I was. Yet, I don't collect Bugs books.

I don't know why I don't. Just not appealing to me. I'd love to own an animation cel for Bugs. But have no interest in collecting comics. Maybe b/c the first exposure was to the cartoon, not a comic book?

I think this kind of distills the issue with characters like Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse. They are cartoon stars. With animation and funny voices and great musical scores etc. They do not translate well to the comic medium because we are used to the cartoons.

Don't forget, Donald Duck had lots of cartoons also, and they are some of the funniest cartoons I've ever seen. I think Duck comics are more successful to comic readers cuz the writing and artwork.......AND cuz alot of the stories are based on real life myths and legends. Barks always did his homework

I think this kind of distills the issue with characters like Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse. They are cartoon stars. With animation and funny voices and great musical scores etc. They do not translate well to the comic medium because we are used to the cartoons.

Don't forget, Donald Duck had lots of cartoons also, and they are some of the funniest cartoons I've ever seen. I think Duck comics are more successful to comic readers cuz the writing and artwork.......AND cuz alot of the stories are based on real life myths and legends. Barks always did his homework

So true, know what I like about Barks? his stuff is not dated, you can still read his stuff and still enjoy it, that can`t be said for a lot of my childhood superheroes.

I think, too, that being a comic book group we perceive more in terms of comic books. But Mickey has spanned almost every conceivable medium from cartoons to movies to "collectibles" like toys, watches, lamps, thimbles, dishware etc. etc. etc. To a lot of Mickey collectors the displayable aspect is important and a long box is not the most displayable thing. But a Mickey statue or telephone would be quite displayable.

In talking with non-comic book collectors of various memorabilia, it is surprising how often comic books are not really considered, except for maybe one or two that could be framed and displayed.

So I think that for Mickey it boils down to the comic book collectors and many good reasons have been posted above for Donald over Mickey (I always thought, even as a kid, that Mickey was kind of wimpy in comparison to Donald, who was always feisty!)

The dominance of Superhero books when it comes to fandom will translate to an abundance of "key" books in that genre, but they exist elsewhere. True, first issues play a more limited role in many genres, but scarcity, content and especially covers play a big role in deciding what is a "key" issue.

The real reason for the lower interest in Funny Animal comics is that outside of Barks' work, they are considered too juvenile, even by comic collectors. While this attitude overlooks some great work from a variety of other creators, it's true that most "Funny Animal" books

were geared towards the youngest readers back in the GA, and still read that way today.

AND cuz alot of the stories are based on real life myths and legends. Barks always did his homework

So far, the only comic book story tested on Mythbusters (that I recall) was Barks' concept of the raising of a sunken boat with ping-pong balls. And it worked!

The dominance of Superhero books when it comes to fandom will translate to an abundance of "key" books in that genre, but they exist elsewhere. True, first issues play a more limited role in many genres, but scarcity, content and especially covers play a big role in deciding what is a "key" issue.

The real reason for the lower interest in Funny Animal comics is that outside of Barks' work, they are considered too juvenile, even by comic collectors. While this attitude overlooks some great work from a variety of other creators, it's true that most "Funny Animal" books

were geared towards the youngest readers back in the GA, and still read that way today.

Has anybody noticed that most of the real key breakout books over the last 25 years have been non-superhero books? examples TMNT#1,Cerebus#1,

Sonic #1,Bone #1,Chew #1 and Walking Dead #1, maybe there is a reason why monthly comicbooks are at a all-time low in sales. dare I say it`s our beloved superheroes, maybe mainstream wants a little variety.

hm