• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #58 Cover (unused by Buscema?)

15 posts in this topic

I looked at it and it's pretty cool, but I have a question.. down the road when you no longer own the piece, how are people to know this is not an actual Marvel cover that wasn't used??

was the artist smart enough to sign his own name on the front & remark that it is a "fantasy" cover???

not doing so opens the way for someone to get proverbially screwed

Hey Richard,

Well that's pretty easy. First the odds of me ever selling it are slim to none. I didn't pay much for the work, $250, so its not like I would ever sell it to make money. I have never sold a commission and would keep them even if I sold my original art. These are made for me personally. Second I guess if I did sell it, again highly unlikely, I would definately mark the back at least somehow to show its a commision/reimaged cover. No harm will come from this...

Jay

Hey Richard,

Well that's pretty easy. First the odds of me ever selling it are slim to none. I didn't pay much for the work, $250, so its not like I would ever sell it to make money. I have never sold a commission and would keep them even if I sold my original art. These are made for me personally. Second I guess if I did sell it, again highly unlikely, I would definately mark the back at least somehow to show its a commision/reimaged cover. No harm will come from this...

Jay

Jay.. you aren't going to live forever and it should be identified on the front, not the back, so that if framed and sold on fleaBay someone doesn't try to cheat someone else. Any smart artist would know this and it should be signed by him "Michael Maikowsky after Buscema". Anything else is like having the proverbial head in the sand.

I've had lots of art & other items that 20 years ago I always said "I'm taking it to my grave".. I actually have almost none of these items 20 years later

however I do have other stuff I'm taking to my grave.......... well, maybe

That is a great looking piece, Jay. Does Michael put a signature or any identifying marks on his cover recreations to distinguish from the originals?

Well he didn't on this page and I'm not sure about his other commissions. It really wasn't my intention to make this about Michael signing his work or not, just about a cool new commission I was excited about. To be honest the thought never really crossed my mind as to whether to have him sign it or not as a recreation. Anyone who collects silver age covers knows they are a mishmash of pasteups and stats and glue stains and whatever and anyone mistaking this pristine page for a 30 year old cover had better do alot of homework before spending tens of thousands of dollars on comic art.

Richard, I promise you if I sell it I will mark the front as a recreation myself...but I'm never going to sell it. Heh. Just enjoy the art!

Jay

Jay

I think the reason people are bringing up the issue of clearly marking the art as a recreation is because by your own admission, you used "false pretenses" to get more views here and on CAF by using Buscema's name and not the actual artist, Michael Maikowsky. Especially since you loosely use the term "unused by Buscema?". It still implies that Buscema drew it.

While you may have noble intentions, down the road, the new owners may not. A lot of collectors on these boards still remember the infamous "Ditka" page on ebay. It was a recreation of a Ditko Spiderman page, (presumably by recreation artist Topcat), that the ebay seller tried to pass off a vintage Ditko.

Michael did do nice work nonetheless.

All the best.

Cheers!

N.

Hey Richard,

Jay

Jay - awesome piece - is $250 the going rate for a commission of this caliber by Michael? If so I would love to get Michael's info via PM to get some work done. very cool

Ok I guess the Title ( unused by Buscema ) was a little snarky but it sure drew the veiws in to CAF. Just having a little fun.

Comixcroz-Michael Maikowsky has a CAF gallery and all you have to do is email him via CAF. He is actively looking to do commissions as far as I know. $250 is cheap for work of this caliber in my opinion.

Jay

Ok I guess the Title ( unused by Buscema ) was a little snarky but it sure drew the veiws in to CAF. Just having a little fun.

Comixcroz-Michael Maikowsky has a CAF gallery and all you have to do is email him via CAF. He is actively looking to do commissions as far as I know. $250 is cheap for work of this caliber in my opinion.

Jay

400+ views in a day is pretty good for a piece without nipples.

:jokealert:

not.

Ok I guess the Title ( unused by Buscema ) was a little snarky but it sure drew the veiws in to CAF.

I'm always baffled by this. Why is it so important to certain people to get a lot of views on their CAF items? This isn't the only gimmick I've seen. Some galleries I don't even check anymore because it seems every week there's another "I just added a cool piece to my gallery, please take a look" from the same people. I share my artwork too but when I post updates I always give examples of what type of art I'm updating my CAF with. I want people who WANT to see what I've got click it. Why be deceptive? Who cares how many hits you get if people are led there by deception?

I don't get it.

Ok I guess the Title ( unused by Buscema ) was a little snarky but it sure drew the veiws in to CAF.

I'm always baffled by this. Why is it so important to certain people to get a lot of views on their CAF items? This isn't the only gimmick I've seen. Some galleries I don't even check anymore because it seems every week there's another "I just added a cool piece to my gallery, please take a look" from the same people. I share my artwork too but when I post updates I always give examples of what type of art I'm updating my CAF with. I want people who WANT to see what I've got click it. Why be deceptive? Who cares how many hits you get if people are led there by deception?

I don't get it.

yes Ruben.. there definitely is a certain feeling of "being used"

Hey Guys, Not to beat a dead horse but Michael Maikowsky, the artist on this commision, contacted me to let me know that he does indeed sign all his commissions on the front and includes "after JB". I was posting a scan that he had sent me ahead of the actual commission so it wasn't yet signed pending my approval of the piece.

I also want to thank the people who sent nice comlimentary emails about the commission. Hopefully you will be able to send some work Michaels way. Happy New Years!

Jay