• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

" 'missed' triming?" or "How i got pwnt" :(

25 posts in this topic

Ok bought my first PGX book on a whim and probably got busted. Seller wont accept a return of course. But i can always file a chargeback, just wanted some other opinions. I looks to me like the trim began right above G. To the left of the G the top edge has very slight overhang with very slight wear while to the right it appears to taper down (no overhang) and is 'razor sharp'. :cry:

DSC_0327.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

DSC_0331.jpg

Bummer. You should know though that any time you see a significant book in a PGX holder, there's a good chance that it's there because someone somewhere thought that PGX would miss restoration (whether intentionally or otherwise).

No opinions? Am i just trippin? Did i get what i deserve? :baiting:

If you like the look of the book otherwise, and paid adequately, why bother? The seller probably didn't know if it had been trimmed or not. ST 107 is a wonderful cover image, and the book presents well.

It does look suspicious hm

I agree, what makes my alarms go off more than anything is the total lack of wear in that area rather than the actual shape of the book.

Bummer. You should know though that any time you see a significant book in a PGX holder, there's a good chance that it's there because someone somewhere thought that PGX would miss restoration (whether intentionally or otherwise).
Totally agree, but there are a lot of people who are not as informed who just see it as another cheaper/faster grading service.

Green....are you going to send the book in to CGC to have them slab it? You'll definitely know if it's been trimmed after that.
I had planned to crack it and keep it raw in my collection. Ive been enjoying picking up these early marvels when i can. Its probably what will still happen, as the seller clearly stated no returns (which is BS imo ) and i wouldnt feel right reselling it. I could file a chargeback but since the auction stated no returns im not sure if that would be right either.

No opinions? Am i just trippin? Did i get what i deserve? :baiting:

If you like the look of the book otherwise, and paid adequately, why bother? The seller probably didn't know if it had been trimmed or not. ST 107 is a wonderful cover image, and the book presents well.

Your probably right. I only paid 100$ for it so compared to a CGC copy i got a great deal, and i love the cover. But i know it will always bother me. I guess i will crack it and keep it until i see Matt at a show so i can know for sure.

Merry Christmas Green - can you post an overall shot of the book? It really helps to see the full cut of the book.
Merry Christmas to you too :) My scanner is pretty sucky.

scan0001-3.jpg

Merry Christmas Green - can you post an overall shot of the book? It really helps to see the full cut of the book.
Merry Christmas to you too :) My scanner is pretty sucky.

scan0001-3.jpg

I hate to ask this but could you now reverse the book in the scanner so the top is in that darker exposed area? Keep the other scan up, though.

I need to get my posts number up,and couldnt help but chime in on this as Strange Tales # 107 is one of my favorite covers.Ive seen some weird cuts and printing flaws on alot of older books and wouldnt be surprised if thats just the way it came from the press. I see what you are saying,it does look like it might have been trimmed and may very well have been. Sometimes you can look at other examples of the same issue and see the very same defect,so you may want to just look up other Strange Tales # 107`s in other venues just to compare. A good example is Daredevil # 7,alot have the same miscut down the right side. I have 2 copies of Strange Tales # 107...a mid grade and high grade and neither have this particular look but even those 2 have different cuts,so....a great book with a great cover.Everyone needs a Strange Tales # 107 in thier collection.