• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What "Avatar" means for us

29 posts in this topic

I don't know how many of you have seen Avatar yet, but if you can, watch it in 3D. The film is amazing and represents the next technological leap in film-making. It's such a next generation event, that I think it has implications for comic book collectors and thought I would share these thoughts here in the signature room, since this is the room I'm most familiar with.

I think we've all seen some recent trends that have been troubling in terms of prices, not to mention the overall economic picture which is not pretty. Don't let it get you down. In fact, it might be the perfect time to buy (who says I'm not an optimist?).

A little history first:

I have to say when I first heard Disney had acquired Marvel, I thought it was terrible news. Acquisitions tend to be troublesome, and Marvel has a unique culture that only the hardcore Marvel fans seem to truly understand. I didn't like the idea of Disney mucking it up.

Stan Lee, on the other hand, thought the acquisition represented a real opportunity (told me this personally) to reach more people, calling it a dream deal.

I remained skeptical until two things happened.

1) I saw the trailer for Iron Man 2

2) I saw Avatar

The trailer for Iron Man is fun, exciting, and gives a clear indication that Marvel understands just how good that franchise can be. I think success in the films will continue to extend value into the comic books. Iron Man was not Marvel's number one superhero and yet the films are able to add dimensions and likability that was not present in the comics (not intended to be a slight on ol shellhead). Iron Man may ultimately emerge as their number one property.

We all know that Marvel had plans for Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers, plans which as far as we know are still in tact. These are ambitious plans which involve story tie ins across multiple films and franchises. One reason they probably sold to Disney (besides getting the premium for the stock) was Disney's access to capital and it's ability to distribute merchandise. The films are no doubt going to be expensive.

When you put the Marvel universe in the context of what James Cameron has accomplished with Avatar, you begin to see the possibilities that the Marvel movies represent. I can imagine the Avengers in 3D fighting the Red Skull and the Cosmic Cube or a Skrull invasion or some other enemy rich with possibilities.

As a movie going experience, it now represents something new visually (at least it has that potential if they follow Cameron's technique), elevating it into something that no one could have predicted. If Avatars numbers play out they way I think they will, Marvel/Disney will no doubt take note and try to take full advantage of these techniques. They could take a superhero movie to all new level.

If that happens the way I predict it will, the public will love these characters even more than they have in the past. And, just as it has in the past, success in films will continue to drive demand in the comic book market, with new collectors coming in to snap up the source material.

So this is my prediction: Disney/Marvel will learn from Avatar and take that technology into the Marvel universe, probably in time for the first Avengers movie. It will be a hit unlike what we have seen before and the demand for CGC graded comics and CGC SS comics (especially Stan Lee, Joe Simon, John Romita, and the rest of the Marvel creators) will skyrocket.

Now this is just an opinion, and I may be overly optimistic, but given what Avatar represents, in terms of what is now possible, I'm going to enjoy my optimism until proven otherwise. I'm also going to see Avatar 3D for a second time. I still can't get over how good it really is.

Chime in if you have some thoughts on this. 2010 is already lining up to be a very interesting year.

Bill.

Well....I think that a film like Avatar means much more than simply the Marvel Disney deal...it will effect film making in general....of course it will effect action films, but that's a given.

I think its a new way to display modern film making....it will effect pop culture....

I think trying to relate that to signature series is a real stretch....

I think the technology used in Avatar despite being available probably wont be used in every movie (that would require CGI). I mean you would think it would be but movies like New Moon will still be made with sub par CGI. (Not that I give a about New Moon)

You might be right about it not being used in every movie. But I'm thinking that if the numbers for Avatar turn out to be compelling, Disney will get on board quickly, unless the technology is not available to them for competitive reasons. They still have time to bring it into production for the Avengers movie since they haven't even started filming it yet.

I'm curious to know if anyone else here has seen the imax 3d version of Avatar yet. If not, I highly recommend it, and I will be seeing it again for a second time myself. Once you've seen it, the connection I'm making to the future of the Marvel movies gets a little more obvious. And the better the movies do, the better the comics books do, including our favorite, CGC SS. I'm optimistic about the ripple effect of the technological leap. It gives me something to be in a good mood about as we head into 2010.

Bill.

imagine if a movie like the avengers implemented this technology with Skrulls or Kree :o

Now you're talking. It would take the whole superhero genre to a new level. Imagine Namor with his undersea kingdom and the Silver Surfer surfing across the galaxies. I don't know if they could deploy it in time for Asgard and the Thor movie. The possibilities are endless and the timing is perfect for a new wave of superhero movies by Marvel/disney. I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Bill.

I have a feeling that the technology will be used first in a X-men related movie for the Sentinels. Just a hunch. ;)

Oh man oh man oh man! I can't wait for Wolverine 5! The movie is going to kick some serious arse, Wolvie 4 had a slight set of hiccups but, five, now that things are sure to be better planned ..it will be awesome..let the sponsors roll in on this one. Sentinels...that would be freakin insane!

I don't mean to sound down on this but this technology has been around for a few years now. Yes Avatar was a great movie and by using the technology it helps show what it is capable of doing but I would imagine that this technology has been available for others to use as well. Part of what made Avatar such a great movie was the mind of James Cameron. It was the story and the ideas that he imagined that help drive this whole thing along. JC has always been a great story teller and has always been on the edge of technology. So as for is it to late for Thor or any other comic book movie currently being made I would imagine that the technology is being used in some form or another to help drive those movies along. The CGI world is really hitting its stride in the movie industry now and as a result it will continue to push the envolope with each and every film that comes out. Heck look at the difference between Star Wars episode 4 and episode 6? The first Star Wars movie came out in 1977 and considering the technology available then. The second Star Wars movie came out 3 years later and the third three years after that. Yet the technology used for the 1st to the 3rd is like night and day. BUT the vision of Goerge Lucas to move the story in each of them is what made them seem so similar.

So in conclusion I think that Avatar is going to go on to be a great movie, I think it is just scratching the surface of what is already in the works. Just my 2c.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

I still have to see Avatar.

I have heard a million reviews on how Avatar tells it's story through a visual aesthetic rather than just words.

I completely feel that the future of Hollywood/Marvel/Disney is tied to the superhero films that it creates, and that it will only lead to CGC SS books become more popular. More movies will only give us more chances for AWESOME siggys!

I still have to see Avatar.

I have heard a million reviews on how Avatar tells it's story through a visual aesthetic rather than just words.

I completely feel that the future of Hollywood/Marvel/Disney is tied to the superhero films that it creates, and that it will only lead to CGC SS books become more popular. More movies will only give us more chances for AWESOME siggys!

+1

I wonder if the people who don't think Avatar is as much of a big deal as I do have actually seen it in Imax 3 D. It's an amazing experience and the possibilities for the Marvel universe are exciting and rather obvious. Luckily we have the vision of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby to draw on, so anyone using the technology to tell the stories has a head start. Marvel is already 5000 characters deep, not to mention all the worlds they have created.

Up until now, 3D has always been a bit cheesy, but not anymore.

Now the 3D technology engages you in a way that 2D can't.

I think the bottom line with Avatar is that the bar has been set to a new level and it's nothing but good news for the Marvel Universe, that is if Disney has the wisdom to follow through. My guess is they will and this is reason to celebrate.

Bill.

I wonder if the people who don't think Avatar is as much of a big deal as I do have actually seen it in Imax 3 D. It's an amazing experience and the possibilities for the Marvel universe are exciting and rather obvious. Luckily we have the vision of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby to draw on, so anyone using the technology to tell the stories has a head start. Marvel is already 5000 characters deep, not to mention all the worlds they have created.

Up until now, 3D has always been a bit cheesy, but not anymore.

Now the 3D technology engages you in a way that 2D can't.

I think the bottom line with Avatar is that the bar has been set to a new level and it's nothing but good news for the Marvel Universe, that is if Disney has the wisdom to follow through. My guess is they will and this is reason to celebrate.

Bill.

Disney is no stranger to 3D technology. Honey I Shrunk the Kids, a 3D movie that they show at the Calif. Disneyland theme park, is amazing and I would guess that it has been there for 15-20 years. Its a Bug's Life, a 3D movie at the Disney California Adventure Theme Park, is also amazing and blends 3D, robotics, smells, moving worms in the seats seamlessly.

I think you are right Bill, 3D technology is here to stay and Disney will hopefully release great 3D Marvel movies.

I also think that movie studios are looking at 3D technology as something special that home TV theatres can't duplicate.

Well if it was the 3D technology that you were strictly referring to, then I can undestand the excitment. Although I did not see it in 3D, those 3D Glasses give me a head ache, I heard wonderful things about it being in 3D. I saw it in the regular version. From that aspect yes it could change how movie making takes place. I was talking more about the use of the human actors being converted into CGI characters while capturing the human movement through the use of the motion suits they wear in the filming process with a blue or green screen. I believe that is the same prcoess they have been using with Iron Man. But once again it can not be said enough times. Avatar is a great movie.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

I should probably see it in 2D just to get an idea of the difference. You might want to try it in 3D because of the improvements, you might not get the headache. I got a little loopy from time to time because of the sense of motion, but I actually liked the feeling. It was an amazing ride.

The first few scenes, I thought, this is very sharp 3D, but it's just a novelty. As the film went on, I got more and more absorbed into it and was feeling it on a level that I've never experienced from another film. In that sense, it's the best film I have ever seen, by far. If this technique gets applied to the Marvel Universe, I think we're in for a lot of fun.

Bill.

Disney is no stranger to 3D technology. Honey I Shrunk the Kids, a 3D movie that they show at the Calif. Disneyland theme park, is amazing and I would guess that it has been there for 15-20 years. Its a Bug's Life, a 3D movie at the Disney California Adventure Theme Park, is also amazing and blends 3D, robotics, smells, moving worms in the seats seamlessly.

I think you are right Bill, 3D technology is here to stay and Disney will hopefully release great 3D Marvel movies.

I also think that movie studios are looking at 3D technology as something special that home TV theatres can't duplicate.

I think you are right. 3d blockbusters give us a reason to go to the theater. And since you pointed out that Disney is no stranger to the technology, it seems only logical that Marvel would go in this direction. Guess we have to stay tuned to find out.

Bill.

I think this is kind of...well....I hate to say it, but silly.

I will explain it like this...

The Giants/Jets are building a new football stadium. It will be great for each team, the economy, the NFL league.....

But then someone comes out and says that this new park will be great for sales of the new Madden 2011 game!!!!!!!! They reason this by telling people that more kids will like football, those kids will run out and buy video games!!!! YAY!!!!!

See what I mean? Of course the park is a big deal, but for someone to claim that it will trickle down to something like a video game...yeah...I guess you COULD make an argument for that...but....forgive me for saying, sounds silly.

Let me also say...comic book movies are GREAT....yes...they DO bring new readers and bring back older readers. Those older readers will love to go out and buy old books they used to own. Yup, they may stumble upon CGC Signature Series books...I hope that's the case.

But as many shop owners will claim, sometimes new readers will stick around, sometimes they wont....

I think that Signature Series is amazing...I, along with many others will be a collector for life...I think the SS banner will grow because of the great job that people on this board and CGC employees do...not because of new movie tricks...

My 2 cents...