• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ous The First Comic Book Movie to Win Best Picture... sort of.

145 posts in this topic

the studios couldnt care less about winning Oscars!

You're absolutely wrong there, and what Hollywood execs and producers want is to release brainless garbage that collects $100 million on opening weekend AND trot up for a Best Pic Oscar.

They don't want to make great movies that win awards but are commercially suspect, they want to make bad-to-mediocre movies that take in tons of cash *and* win awards. Have your cake and eat it too.

Get rid of the high-quality indies, like when they started the screener ban or simply by shutting their divisions down, or as this year, expand the Best Picture noms to 10 to ensure some PG blockbusters make it in.

Lord of the Rings- No acting nominations.

Fellowship, by far the best of the three, had:

Best Actor in a Supporting Role

Ian McKellen

Thanks for confirming. I took Flash105's statement at face value, but should have checked.

Can you imagine today, pictures like Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark or E.T. being nominated for best picture?

Yes I could, but the problem today is that the "blockbusters" are all brainless, plotless PG-pablum made for the average ADD-afflicted 8-year old. Back when Lucas and Spielberg were young, they made high quality movies that *also* appealed to the mass market.

Are you *really* comparing the above movies to stuff like Transformers 2, Terminator Salvation, Wolverine, etc?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but... great post! (thumbs u

Thought it was fairly common knowledge Tarantino was a Fury fan and that he went back to the comics for inspiration on Basterds...

That still doesn't make it a "Sgt Fury adaptation" which is what most are contending.

You do realize that Tarantino has stolen from just about every source imaginable for his various movies, right? There are books written that cover virtually every theft, and it still doesn't make them adaptations.

Thought it was fairly common knowledge Tarantino was a Fury fan and that he went back to the comics for inspiration on Basterds...

That still doesn't make it a "Sgt Fury adaptation" which is what most are contending.

You do realize that Tarantino has stolen from just about every source imaginable for his various movies, right? There are books written that cover virtually every theft, and it still doesn't make them adaptations.

I didn't contend it was an adaptation. I said it owed more than a little to Sgt. Fury and there were responses that seemed, honestly, like anger and contempt that I would ever suggest such a thing, when all I was doing was quoting Tarantino himself who said publicly and often that he was heavily inspired by Fury comics.

Lord of the Rings- No acting nominations.

Fellowship, by far the best of the three, had:

Best Actor in a Supporting Role

Ian McKellen

Thanks for confirming. I took Flash105's statement at face value, but should have checked.

I did check but I only checked winners. My mistake.

The fact that Annie Hall won over Star Wars which has turned out to be the most influential movie ever is why the Oscars stink. Look at how that movie has influenced movies, directors, studios, technology companies, toy sales, nerds like myself, and in many other ways. Annie Hall - no lasting impact.

Annie Hall won because it IS a better film. I love Star Wars but it's got nothing on Allen when he's got it.

I would seriously disagree with that statement. I'm in my forties and am a fan of many genres. You probably would not be able to guess my favorite films. Annie Hall is a good movie and I love Woody Allen films but it really does not differentiate itself from any outher Woody Allen film and is certainly not his best. I would say most do not watch it or have even seen it to this day.

Think about the great films from the 60s on and which are still seen today, which are considered great today, and which are considered groundbreaking. Star Wars would be at the top of the heap. It had two great actors, simple story, great action, groundbreaking technology and effects, and a total disregard for studio politics.

The simple fact that Lucas refused to run the credits at the beginning of the film may have cost him the best picture oscar. The academy did not see fit to give him anything in all these years other than a bogus Irving Thalberg Award which isn't even an Oscar.

The fact that Annie Hall won over Star Wars which has turned out to be the most influential movie ever is why the Oscars stink. Look at how that movie has influenced movies, directors, studios, technology companies, toy sales, nerds like myself, and in many other ways. Annie Hall - no lasting impact.

Annie Hall won because it IS a better film. I love Star Wars but it's got nothing on Allen when he's got it.

I would seriously disagree with that statement. I'm in my forties and am a fan of many genres. You probably would not be able to guess my favorite films. Annie Hall is a good movie and I love Woody Allen films but it really does not differentiate itself from any outher Woody Allen film and is certainly not his best. I would say most do not watch it or have even seen it to this day.

Think about the great films from the 60s on and which are still seen today, which are considered great today, and which are considered groundbreaking. Star Wars would be at the top of the heap. It had two great actors, simple story, great action, groundbreaking technology and effects, and a total disregard for studio politics.

The simple fact that Lucas refused to run the credits at the beginning of the film may have cost him the best picture oscar. The academy did not see fit to give him anything in all these years other than a bogus Irving Thalberg Award which isn't even an Oscar.

you bring up an important point: jealousy and relationships affecting Oscar voting. Think if the 5000 acad members as high school students voting for prom king and queen, and you get great insight into the choices made over the years. There are many reasons for NOT voting for someone... but only one for voting FOR: that you dont mind too much seeing them win (instead of you or someone who can help your career.

Another actor that only had one nomination in his career and never as a lead- Sean Connery.

Just because someone is a star doesn't mean he/she is a great actor. Connery is a star but is not a great actor. It's not surprising that his nomination (and win) was in a supporting role where a fairly one dimensional acting style works better.

I saw Up In The Air over the weekend and thought it was very underwhelming. Far from a Best Picture in any year.

I enjoyed it. My complaint was in the unexpected ending. It was a great twist, but .......

overall he was great and the concept and storyline different and well told. Best Pic Nom yes, Best Pic, depends on how it shakes out... as always

Hahahaha I can't honestly believe someone thinks Watchmen should win for best picture.

No, it's not BP material. It was, however, better than I thought it would be. So, a small victory there (at least for me).

Still hated how Rorshach sounded. Too much like "Bale Batman". Too gruff.