• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Attention eBay scam artists - your days are numbered - Help wanted

33 posts in this topic

I am on the phone with eBay right now regarding all the scammers that are hurting our hobby.

It was in response to this thread - http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3677569#Post3677569

We have been talking about all these "scams" for years but I think its time to bring them down!

They are hurting our hobby, causing damage to their buyers - and getting away with it and I don't think we should put up with it any longer!

Please post any scams you personally know about with PROOF as I am going to send eBay this very thread. Lets keep it professional! and you all know what I mean

We all know the names of the usual suspects - lets work together to change eBay policy so our hobby is protected and scammers get shut off!

I know - I like a challenge.. :popcorn:

The response I have received from them so far tonight is that, although it may take some time, they are definitely starting the ball rolling on creating a policy for graded comic books.

Certainly not the "official word" but kind of looks promising

lexerific aka cdpaoli aka aram321 aka Narbeh Harutunian. That guy is a crook

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3441593&fpart=1

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=3623671&Searchpage=9&Main=177769&Words=pickycollector&topic=0&Search=true#Post3623671

I had problems with that guy as well. I would be glad to help you if you need any info. In any case, I wish you the best luck

I don't like this "Have it CGC'd!" Well if it's such great shape,why doesn't the seller have it graded? The seller will probably say "I don't have time for that" But they have time to list an auction and wait 10 days then another 3-4 for payment? They have time for all that but not fill out a form and mail the book in?

Report any auction that has "CGC it" in the auction when the book has not been CGC'd as having Spam phrases, they will take those down.

"CGC ready" too.

ebay won't do anything about those - I'm 0 for 5 and I quit trying.

Must depend on the person who does the reviewing of your complaint, I have had them taken down. I just don't use CGC as a search term, so I don't do it that often.

Report any auction that has "CGC it" in the auction when the book has not been CGC'd as having Spam phrases, they will take those down.

"CGC ready" too.

ebay won't do anything about those - I'm 0 for 5 and I quit trying.

A while back, we had a period of sending mass notices to eBay. Joe Collector organised a few of these campaigns, listing item numbers, etc., and I think we had a success rate close to 100%. (shrug)

I'm all for getting rid of the scammers on ebay. I haven't bought or sold anything on there in a while cause I don't trust it anymore.

The problem is, ebay is very well informed of all the scams, but they get paid either way. When a scam develops that takes money AWAY from ebay, rest assured, that will be stomped on real fast.

eBay is basically like government. They know they are dirty, but they get paid to be dirty. Not gonna change!.....Just my 2c

Just got this email from "lexerific" - I guess because I reported his listing that eBay informs him it was I who did it....or he read it on these boards

Dear ivegotneatstuff,

The comics I'm selling are not restored. On the JIM #83, the restoration was slight and was removed from the comic, thus no more restoration on the comic. The comic sold for less than what a 3.5 sells for. CGC has their opinion of a grade. I know hundreds of people who have re-submitted their comics because they feel it deserves a better grade. I myself have re-submitted comics and have received a higher grade than the previous one.

- lexerific

This was my response

Dear lexerific,

May I ask - Where on the book was the restoration removed? Can you provide before and after photos of the restoration removal? Why do you feel justified that 3 experts who have spent years grading books have inferior grading skills to your own and furthermore, how could you possibly think a book would actually grade 1.5 grades higher AFTER the removal of restoration? I've re-submitted books as well and gotten a higher grade, but that is a very rare occasion and has only happened a few times out of submitting thousands of books. In my opinion, you are warping the truth in order to make a profit and what you are doing should be outlawed. Would you be willing to share the name of the winner in your auction so these facts can be divulged to them? I'm sorry, but I am just not buying your answer or justification. In my opinion you are damaging the comic book industry by representing these books as something they are not - and taking advantage of unsuspecting buyers. Your activity is damaging eBay's reputation and as a result, damaging honest sellers like myself who look to eBay to make a living. I welcome you to come defend yourself on this thread located here (http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3680038&fpart=1) and if everything you are saying is true, I will be the first to offer my sincere apologies and retract everything I have said.

I'm all for getting rid of the scammers on ebay. I haven't bought or sold anything on there in a while cause I don't trust it anymore.

The problem is, ebay is very well informed of all the scams, but they get paid either way. When a scam develops that takes money AWAY from ebay, rest assured, that will be stomped on real fast.

eBay is basically like government. They know they are dirty, but they get paid to be dirty. Not gonna change!.....Just my 2c

I think eBay needs to take a step back and really look at this. This scam and scams like it ARE taking money away from eBay. They are making more and more people turn to outside auction houses to buy and sell their books. They need to act now before the damage is irreversible.

I think eBay needs to take a step back and really look at this. This scam and scams like it ARE taking money away from eBay. They are making more and more people turn to outside auction houses to buy and sell their books. They need to act now before the damage is irreversible.

It is already too late.

A while back, we had a period of sending mass notices to eBay. Joe Collector organised a few of these campaigns, listing item numbers, etc., and I think we had a success rate close to 100%. (shrug)

When you say 100%, you mean you successfully got eBay to remove all those listings?

Getting a listing removed is one thing. getting eBay to completely change is another. I admire you wanting to make change, and eBay is after one thing: $$$$$$

eBay sin;t interesed in wasting time and money on policing comic scammers. Sad, yet true.