• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New site to register and search for stolen comic books about to be launched

30 posts in this topic

I wonder how long before you getting sued by someone who claims that you're defaming their title? Best of luck.

what do you mean? what title am I defaming?

You're going to let people post pictures/descriptions/etc. about books they claim were stolen. Then some owner is going to see their book and get mad because you are decreasing the marketability of the book. Not saying it wasn't stolen originally, but you better be real sure. Think about how a seller's business would be hurt here if someone points out that the book is listed on the stolen book website.

Do you mean like the NOD's Gallery of Disclosure only except the books aren't stolen... only presumed to have been manipulated somewhere along the line?

I wonder how long before you getting sued by someone who claims that you're defaming their title? Best of luck.

You're going to let people post pictures/descriptions/etc. about books they claim were stolen. Then some owner is going to see their book and get mad because you are decreasing the marketability of the book. Not saying it wasn't stolen originally, but you better be real sure. Think about how a seller's business would be hurt here if someone points out that the book is listed on the stolen book website.

I've held off from posting as I had my own biases from the post I originally started this morning, and didn't want to come across as being contrarian towards David's idea. I think the domain is problematic, and not exclusively for the reasons you mentioned. This said, I think your concerns about legal issues could be averted with a little thought in putting in place the kind of filters that would eliminate any/all bogus claims.

Do you mean like the NOD's Gallery of Disclosure only except the books aren't stolen... only presumed to have been manipulated somewhere along the line?

Better get it in now, since you told me your New Year's resolution was to not mention the NOD at all next year. My money is on your head exploding first.

If I read the post correctly, he's describing a hypothetical issue with verification (or lack thereof) that the property is in fact stolen.

Better get it in now, since you told me your New Year's resolution was to not mention the NOD at all next year. My money is on your head exploding first.

I never make New Year's resolutions, Mississippian.

If I read the post correctly, he's describing a hypothetical issue with verification (or lack thereof) that the property is in fact stolen.

We will have a few checks in place...such as IP address logging, and several other ways I have not disclosed yet..but I know what you are saying and yes, we have thought of these things. Good points!

Interesting. I've got a book that was stolen from me but I know exactly where it is and it's been resold. I laid off doing "clawback" to the initial recipient of the stolen book because I was led to believe the recipient would use his considerable influence to aid me in getting the money I was owed. He never did and now it is too late to hold him legally accountable for the cash -- but perhaps if the book appeared on the registry as what it is (technically, it still is stolen) could be something of an incentive for the stolen-property recipient to provide the help I didn't get when I should have.

While I applaud the idea, I'm unsure of how well the execution will go. How are you going to document who the true owner is? What's to stop me from stealing a scan and claiming it's my stolen book?

whatif.jpg20080314_sherlock_holmes.jpg

This question is in part why I am announcing it here first... I know I will be bombarded with "What Ifs" since all comic collectors are familiar with the phrase...and these questions/comments/criticisms will be used to make the site better so it really functions for us and lowers the potential for damage.

To answer your question, we might require that a police report be included (possibly within a certain time frame - i.e., allowing users to upload their stolen comic first to get the word out as fast as possible, followed by a police report within 24 hours that is not made public, but is "on file" with us so WE know it is authentic) as a form of validation.

Anyone that goes to a police station and files a false stolen property report is committing a crime - and if they go to that extent and get through our "radar" - well we might miss a couple. However, with all that being said, we do feel that 99% of the posts will be legitimate.

When a post is made, an email is immediately sent to myself and my partner overseas (who is awake the OTHER 12 hours of the day) and we personally look at it - not that it will necessarily help validate the book...but if someone puts an Action #1 up we might want to make some phone calls first. As a collector/dealer I feel somewhat qualified to know if a post is legitimate or not and HOPE I can stop that sort of posting, but obviously some might slip by and we aren't perfect. I will tell you every post will be looked at by a human being who is very familiar with the hobby - and we will be doing searches on the internet, etc and using any means in our power to prevent fraudulent postings.

If the police report is not uploaded within 24 hours the post might be removed. All users must register first before posting. Their IP address will be logged. A blood sample MUST be sent in (just making sure you are reading)

I'm sure there are many potential problems or scenarios that may arise..but I'm not going to let them stop us from launching this because I feel we as collectors need a site like this. If it turns out a book was fraudulently put up in order to cause damage to someone else, and it actually does, then that is what insurance and law enforcement is for...and any information we have on anyone posting such fraudulent information to cause harm to others will be turned over to any and all proper authorities. (and I'm sure we would put up a notice of the fraudulent posting on the site once it is ferreted out)

If anyone has any suggestions or how this site could be made better, please feel free to share, as we are still programming it and are a few days away. I just felt a site needed to be built and I hated feeling powerless with no place other than the boards (which is a great place mind you!! (worship) to announce it when I had my own book stolen. I am sure the site will be constantly revised and perfected as time goes on - and if it turns out there is just too much potential for damage in building such a site down the road...then I will just give up, shut down the site, curl up in the corner of my room and suck my thumb. :sorry:

I will say if your suggestions are good and helpful, I will send you some comics as a thank you! :)

A) REALLY GOOD IDEAS - SILVER AGE SPIDER-MAN COMICS

B) KINDA GOOD IDEAS - BRONZE AGE MARVEL COMICS

C) REALLY PATHETIC AND BLATENTLY OBVIOUS IDEAS - 10 used and yellowed comic bags covered with old tape - submitter pays postage

(NOTE: THIS DEAL MAY BE CANCELED WHEN I RUN OUT OF SILVER-AGE SPIDER-MAN AND BRONZE AGE MARVEL COMICS) :insane:

Don't pizz him off. He might threaten to delete all your PMs. :eek: Or some other similarly masculine action. lol