• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you grade?

95 posts in this topic

Very interesting replies, everyone. I like reading this sort of thing before I plan on making a trip down to CGC as I would like to begin doing at least 2-3 times a year - I live 2 hours away, why not? Reading what those who spend a lot more time around comics than I do use to determine grading is great! Just have a few additional questions to tack on to this thread:

What makes a 10.0 different than a 9.9? What makes a 9.9 different than a 9.8? I will be grading a lot more modern comics in the 1:200 range than anything this go around, and in that aspect, I can pull out some serious high grades on issues my LCS has taken special care for me.....

Has anyone written a guide of how to PREP your comics before sending them off for grading? The owner of my LCS, being so close to CGC in Sarasota, used to work for a company that would run down there at least once a week, and they put him in charge of it. He told me to bring in the ones I want to have graded before I head down there because he knows what to look at after all the years he has spent staring at stacks and walls of comic books, but I would like to read more about it as well as having his expertise at my disposal. He suggested a few things when offering up the ability to help - grab a sharp razor blade and making the edges real sharp and clean, on each page if necessary, trying to pull out any light bends by working the pages, etc.... Any suggestions or links to other threads I couldn't find while searching?

He suggested a few things when offering up the ability to help - grab a sharp razor blade and making the edges real sharp and clean, on each page if necessary, trying to pull out any light bends by working the pages, etc....

:o:roflmao:

Yeah, I'd definitely have to be there to watch what they're doing - but they haven't ever let me down so far, so I'm pretty confident in their abilities....

Really, could you give us the name of this shop please?

DRX

So, you know some loser who trims books to make them look better. That person is like poison to the hobby. If you somehow think that's ok, you're a tool as well!

And I guarentee you don't even understand this complaint? You do realize that trimming comic books with a razor is BAD BAD BAD right???

I carefully place them into a titanium sleeve before ascending the cliffs in my sandals. I give my offerings of nubile young females before ingesting peyote and deciding to take the fight to xerxes with 299 other dudes wearing only underwear and capes.

Then, afterwards, I ask mschmidt what he thinks.

Seriously though, overstreet. Compare to slabbed books. I've been focusing on the usual suspects (spine ticks, roll, color and non-color breaking bends,etc...) Talking to other collectors and getting tips from more seasoned graders. Hanging out with other collectors, in person mind you, and going over books together has been the biggest improvement in my own grading skills. Getting to know several other collectors and dealers at smaller local shows where you can talk a little more has been invaluable.

So, you know some loser who trims books to make them look better. That person is like poison to the hobby. If you somehow think that's ok, you're a tool as well!

And I guarentee you don't even understand this complaint? You do realize that trimming comic books with a razor is BAD BAD BAD right???

Let me stop you right there..... I think you have the impression that I meant that he suggested I grab each page and make them look abnormally sharp, as if they were 10 years younger. I did not say anything of the sort. I said that he suggested I use a razor blade to clean up the edges and that if there were production errors, like cross cut edges where the page has an extra puff of fiber on it, that they get trimmed off. I don't know nearly enough about grading and such as I do enjoying the books I read, so why don't you enlighten me as to why you think this is a poison to the society, mASSachusettes, instead of calling me a tool...... I know it is your nature being a typical Northerner to spout off like that on the internet, but that doesn't go over too well with me, so take a second to maturely explain what you want to before continuing the insult game!

Let me stop you right there..... I think you have the impression that I meant that he suggested I grab each page and make them look abnormally sharp, as if they were 10 years younger. I did not say anything of the sort. I said that he suggested I use a razor blade to clean up the edges and that if there were production errors, like cross cut edges where the page has an extra puff of fiber on it, that they get trimmed off. I don't know nearly enough about grading and such as I do enjoying the books I read, so why don't you enlighten me as to why you think this is a poison to the society, mASSachusettes, instead of calling me a tool...... I know it is your nature being a typical Northerner to spout off like that on the internet, but that doesn't go over too well with me, so take a second to maturely explain what you want to before continuing the insult game!

We all hate trimming.

Trimming in this hobby, in any form, is like a criminal act is in society. I didn't say it was a poison to society. I said it was a poison to the comic book hobby.

It is EXTREMELY frowned upon. Maybe you didn't know this, but let me just explain that if you take a razor to any pages, no matter how minor, is trimming. No one is going to buy from you and you'll be an outcast on the forum...

Read some old threads or do a search if you don't believe me.

I'm sure more will chime in.

And you just made what I think is a gay joke about Massachusetts? I don't really see how that is relevant in this thread??? (Edit: Maybe you were just calling me that and not making a gay joke lol. FYI thats how it's usually perceived here)

Holy , I have never seen anyone call someone an Azz from Massacusetts!! how original!

:jokealert:

first of all, newbie to newbie, you may want to read threads about trimming and you would see that it is a big NO-NO in the comic collecting world. with the rant you just went on about, it shows that you know close to nothing about collecting. and what is all this about being a Typical Northerner? What are you implying by saying that all northerners spout off on the internet. I think just about anyone in the Country would say the same thing, but just because ur from the south that makes you better? Think about what you say before you type it..... just common sense

2c

No here's what you said below. You changed the reply above from your initial statement. Dont say one thing and then change it when you get called on it.

DRX

"He suggested a few things when offering up the ability to help - grab a sharp razor blade and making the edges real sharp and clean, on each page if necessary, trying to pull out any light bends by working the pages, etc."...

Trimming in this hobby, in any form, is like a criminal act is in society. I didn't say it was a poison to society. I said it was a poison to the comic book hobby.

It is EXTREMELY frowned upon. Maybe you didn't know this, but let me just explain that if you take a razor to any pages, no matter how minor, is trimming. No one is going to buy from you and you'll be an outcast on the forum...

Read some old threads or do a search if you don't believe me.

I'm sure more will chime in.

And you just made what I think is a gay joke about Massachusetts? I don't really see how that is relevant in this thread??? (Edit: Maybe you were just calling me that and not making a gay joke lol. FYI thats how it's usually perceived here)

Trimming is bad. Okay cool, I get it now. Wasn't that easier to say that to call someone you don't know and don't know their experience with comics but just look at their post count and judge them by how long they've been on THIS forum? For all you know, I could be kin to Stan Lee but never joined this forum..... Let's settle down here and explain logically what the negatives are before insulting someone! And finally, I was calling you an @$$ for what you were saying, nothing gay about that, but definitely relative to how you were acting.....

first of all, newbie to newbie, you may want to read threads about trimming and you would see that it is a big NO-NO in the comic collecting world. with the rant you just went on about, it shows that you know close to nothing about collecting. and what is all this about being a Typical Northerner? What are you implying by saying that all northerners spout off on the internet. I think just about anyone in the Country would say the same thing, but just because ur from the south that makes you better? Think about what you say before you type it..... just common sense

2c

I don't know much about collecting because none of my friends are into comics like I am, so I have to step outside my normal shell in order to enjoy them - think about how hard that might be, especially to someone formerly involved with high-end car customizing, now running a successful business. My own mother hates the fact that I "act like a child" and blow hundreds of dollars every week on comic books and related merchandise.... Furthermore, because I LIVE in the south doesn't mean I'm FROM the south either!

No here's what you said below. You changed the reply above from your initial statement. Dont say one thing and then change it when you get called on it.

DRX

"He suggested a few things when offering up the ability to help - grab a sharp razor blade and making the edges real sharp and clean, on each page if necessary, trying to pull out any light bends by working the pages, etc."...

Yeah, that's what I said, alright. I didn't CHANGE anything with any editing, read them both first before you try to "call me out on it"

He suggested a few things when offering up the ability to help - grab a sharp razor blade and making the edges real sharp and clean, on each page if necessary, trying to pull out any light bends by working the pages, etc.... Any suggestions or links to other threads I couldn't find while searching?

My first suggestion would be to go to your LCS and point the guy who trims the books towards this thread, then get him to do a search on trimming through these boards and let him see how despised it is. It is after all a form of destruction carried out solely for financial gain. Run a search on Jason Ewert.

My guess is this guy from your LCS already knows how trimming is perceived in this hobby and is doing it for financial gain anyway. So having said that I'd recommend you find a new LCS.

I don't know nearly enough about grading and such as I do enjoying the books I read, so why don't you enlighten me as to why you think this is a poison to the society, mASSachusettes, instead of calling me a tool......

They're called Mindividual_without_enough_empathys. Sheesh, get it right newb!

;)

Seriously though, do some research here about trimming. As said previously, look up some threads on Ewert. Once you've done that have a little chat with your LCS guy. If he's trimming book and selling them to his customers without disclosing the trimming, he's being dishonest, unethical, and cheating his customers.

Trimming is an attempt to artificially improve the grade of a comic. If you trim books, sell them without disclosing the timming, you'll be vilified by the hobby and quite possibly have legal actions taken against you.

Btw, I love my Mindividual_without_enough_empathys neighbors to the north. I vacation on Cape Cod every year. :whee: