• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A text indentation question

32 posts in this topic

LBJARM raised a question last night that I hadn't thought about before... If a comic has a text indentation (i.e. from somebody writing a price on a comic bag whilst the comic was inside, thus leaving an indent) - could this be pressed to disappear? My guess was no... but now I'm thinking maybe it's possible? Does anybody know? I have no idea (shrug)

Good defects (do not break color)

Dents

Bends

Folds

Light creases

Minor spine stresses

Impacted corners or edges

Slight warping

Ripples

Slight spine rolls

Waviness

Light cover impressions

Light pencil marks

Bad defects

Dirt Creases that break color

Missing chips or pieces

Tears

Stains

Detached staples or staple tears

Spine stresses that break color

Fading

Fingerprints

Dust shadows or Sun shadows

Rusted staples or rust stains

Rounded or blunted corners

Pen markings

Cover veins

Thanks guys!

It's crazy how much pressing can actually remove.

I posted a book of mine that I recently purchased in the 'This Week in Your Collection' thread - it seems like this may be a good candidate to get pressed in a few months - wouldn't be for a while though - but while it's out the case - it would make sense to get it signed too and re-slabbed :)

Light cover impressions

Light pencil marks

The key word being "light"

Deep indentations (writing or otherwise) almost never come out 100%. It all depends on the condition of the book, what era it is from, type of writing instrument used etc...

But I imagine most indents made through a poly bag are on the light side.

I took out a seal imprint. Someone must have been a notary or owned a corporation at one time and used the seal on the BC of a very expensive silver age books. I really had to work on it but when i was done the only remnant of the seal was where the text lost color on the covers interior.

PM me about rates Lloyd.

I took a reader and wrote heavily on the poly bag. Wanted to see how much the indentations came out. I imagine it will become pretty flat, but leave behind a ghosted image of the writing.

Be back in a few.

DSC09771.jpg

DSC09772.jpg

DSC09775.jpg

DSC09776.jpg

It is funny but I have seen that same indentation on literally thousands of books! Really looking forward to the after shot. I would GUESS you get a lot but not all. Then again, you ARE Ze-Man so...

BTW - what Macro Lens did you get?

91676.jpg.916dc780604570e6d9a9a810492b44b5.jpg

Well, a little while later and most of it came out. And to think most all of it was removed without even using an actual press. :o As I suspected there is a residual image left behind. Almost like the cover inks were pushed through to the interior side when it was indented. So while it is improved, I don't really consider them pressable flaws. Both before and after still bother me equally.

Anyhow, was a fun quick little experiment to show what can come out. Could probably be done better if one wanted to spend the time.

DSC09772.jpg

DSC09778.jpg

DSC09774.jpg

DSC09779.jpg

DSC09773.jpg

DSC09792.jpg

DSC09775.jpg

DSC09781.jpg

DSC09776.jpg

DSC09785.jpg

After shot of the interior cover to show it at normal viewing distance.

DSC09788.jpg