• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Real or counterfit?Help

28 posts in this topic

The fake has darker colors? Also noticed ''subtle'' differences.

At least the fake everyone is referring to does. Could be a new improved fake. Wouldnt be hard to do. Warren Eerie #1 ashcan is a book I gave up on due to that.

Looks like it could be real. Here is a site that gives you a scan of both the real and fake cover.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff308/vacantpassenger/cerebus.jpg

The fake has darker colors? Also noticed ''subtle'' differences.

No, no - it's a myth that you can tell a genuine Cerebus #1 from a counterfeit one through the colors on the cover alone.

I have several copies of each in my own collection, and I can tell you that the colors on the cover vary greatly from each copy to the next - Cerebus #1 was printed on left-over paper stock by the cheapest printer Dave Sim could find, and it definitely shows in the print quality of that particular book.

The only true way to tell the copies apart are by looking at the inside front cover (the genuine copy is flat, the counterfeits are glossy) and, to a lesser extent, the staples (the genuine copy has silver staples, counterfeits have bronze staples).

With that said, I think it's rather alarming that the original photo he posted has a definite orange hue to it, and the new "downsized High Density scans" are completely red - there's no way lighting can account for that much of a color difference.

The only true way to tell the copies apart are by looking at the inside front cover (the genuine copy is flat, the counterfeits are glossy) and, to a lesser extent, the staples (the genuine copy has silver staples, counterfeits have bronze staples).

I know I'm gonna be tiresome but again from my experience chasing the Eerie ashcan. Guranteed there are multiple versions of counterfeits out there and they are counting on people only trying to authenticate against the known counterfeit. For books like this you gotta trust your seller. It's an act of faith.

With that said, I think it's rather alarming that the original photo he posted has a definite orange hue to it, and the new "downsized High Density scans" are completely red - there's no way lighting can account for that much of a color difference.

Thats the first thing I thought when looking at both cover pics. hm

I say DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER ;)

I know I'm gonna be tiresome but again from my experience chasing the Eerie ashcan. Guranteed there are multiple versions of counterfeits out there and they are counting on people only trying to authenticate against the known counterfeit. For books like this you gotta trust your seller. It's an act of faith.

Yes, you've said that before - and, yet, I've been collecting Cerebus for more than a decade now and have never run across a counterfeit that "broke the mold". I believe Rich_Henn posted a long explanation in another Cerebus thread explaining why (in his experience as a printer) it was almost impossible and definitely not cost-effective to create new counterfeits of this book.

Yes, you've said that before - and, yet, I've been collecting Cerebus for more than a decade now and have never run across a counterfeit that "broke the mold". I believe Rich_Henn posted a long explanation in another Cerebus thread explaining why (in his experience as a printer) it was almost impossible and definitely not cost-effective to create new counterfeits of this book.

Hey if you/whoever is confident on the book then by all means go ahead. Most of my experience with this is from one ashcan and it put such a bad taste in my mouth I am most likely being over cautious on something I havent even researched.

I've been chasing an authentic Eerie ashcan too (I've had plenty of counterfeits) and purchased one a few years ago in a Heritage auction that was sold as "probably" authentic (based on what we know about the originals). I'm 80% convinced it is real. I wish I were 100% sure, but unless I get a copy of an original that came from Jim Warren to compare - I don't think I'll ever really know.

but unless I get a copy of an original that came from Jim Warren to compare - I don't think I'll ever really know.

Some people have suggested that Mr. Warren may have been the source of those counterfeits. :whistle:

You'd be surprised. I know I was when I compared my original scan of this book to the photo of the slab. Same book.. vastly different colors. In my case -- and in the ebay auction in question -- the photo image is more orange than the scan (probably due to the warm lighting in the room). Different hardware (scanner vs camera), different lighting, and lack of color correction can amount to big differences.

th_Cerebus1ACGCfront.jpg th_Cerebus1Afront.jpg

From what I've seen.. I think that auction is legit.. or at least the book pictured is legit. Doesn't mean that's the book you'll get if you win. :wishluck:

but unless I get a copy of an original that came from Jim Warren to compare - I don't think I'll ever really know.

Some people have suggested that Mr. Warren may have been the source of those counterfeits. :whistle:

I never heard that! Very interesting news...

I never heard that! Very interesting news...

Sending you a PM.

The book looks fake to me,but I can't really tell from the picture.

Have you ever owned a real Cerebus #1? Or a counterfeit one, for that matter? :shrug:

Nope

Keeping my big mouth shut paperbag.gif