• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long is a noob a noob?

189 posts in this topic

You're pretty much a newb until you've been Greggy'd.

If you don't know what that means, then you're still a noob. If you do know what it means, you still cry late at night in the fetal position wishing for morning.

Once one reaches 282 posts they lose their noobishness.

Damn! Still a noob.... (shrug)

a serious answer...

IMO -

1. Visit and Post on a daily or semi daily basis

2. Start a few threads here and there

3. Buy a few things from other board members (bonus points if you have atleast one for sale thread under your belt, and most importantly have all transactions go smoothly).

4. Be active doing the above things for about.... 5 months

5. Your newbishness disappears at an accelerated rate if people start deferring to you for your comic book knowledge or if you have met members in person.

That being said, I am probably still a Newbie. :insane:

Hmm is there a difference between "Noob" and "Newb"?

Well maybe i'm not such a newbie after all.. hm

You cease to be a newb when...

1) Watson flames you (it's his gentle way of welcoming you to the boards).

2) You get a "666" PM from some bloke whose name escapes me.

3) You get a nickname.

4) You are no longer regarded as a shill.

5) You spend loads of money in the marketplace, especially on GA/SA.

6) You've met Steve Borock.

7) You wear a distinct item of clothing that marks you out as an individual of taste and style.

It is a complex mixture of many elements that transform one from n00b to legend.

First, and possibly most important, is a clearly defined stance for or against pressing (REQUIRED). A minimum of three heated battles in a pressing flame war, with clearly distinct individual skirmishes with one or more of the opposing side is required.

lol

You are a noob until you successfully make fun of anothers post (usually another noob but more points are garnered if it was pointed at a seasoned veteran) - success being determined by how many other board members laugh and agree with what you posted

...but be careful.. you can lose points here too which might drop you right back down to noob status, if your post is misinterpreted by others. (like this post i just made probably will be)

:roflmao:

EXAMPLE:

Veteran "Well, ever since DC published Spider-Man the entire market changed"

You: "It was Marvel you dufus"

Others: "What a ignoramus! Good one"

I don't like to label people "newbie" or "noob". Just because you are new to the boards, doesn't mean your opinion means less or you have less collecting experience.

Now, I can understand people wanting to have a little more interaction with you when it comes to buying/selling.

:hi: Kathryn! Is your av Death? =P

Sometimes I still think I'm a newblet, even though I have met boardies, have regular hot secks with BL, started threads, have bewbs, etc. I think it's a self recognition sort of thing. I'm starting to feel more at "home" here, even though I've been on for over a year now. If you've lasted this long, then you know how important thick skin is on here...once you get past the constant :baiting:, it's a pretty welcoming place for newblies. Even if you ask dumb questions, people will (generally) answer. xD

If you've participated in a Secret Santa gift exchange at least once, then you are totally on your way.

Also, voting in one of Adams War Cover Vote Offs is good for some points :acclaim:

:hi: Kathryn! Is your av Death? =P

Sometimes I still think I'm a newblet, even though I have met boardies, have regular hot secks with BL, started threads, have bewbs, etc. I think it's a self recognition sort of thing. I'm starting to feel more at "home" here, even though I've been on for over a year now. If you've lasted this long, then you know how important thick skin is on here...once you get past the constant :baiting:, it's a pretty welcoming place for newblies. Even if you ask dumb questions, people will (generally) answer. xD

Yes, that sort of distorted looking avatar is Death :) I just finished the Sandman books and I'm in love with her and Dream at the same time.

Nice to meet you Han, I've seen you post before and I like chatting with the girls around here. We seem to be few and far between, maybe we should start a poll about it.

I don't care if I am a noob, starting this thread was a great way to meet a lot of you that I didn't know. So :hi: to all of you. All of the comments are great. Oh, and even if scoring with Sal would grant me ex-noobiness, I'm afraid it isn't going to happen. My husband would be a bit angry about it lol

stfu_noob.jpg
DAMN I remember when someone used that on me during my newbish days.

As for becoming newb to none newb, you will know. You should not EVER have to ask this question. If you do, then you're a newb to the maximum.

I knew when I became a regular.

Yes, that sort of distorted looking avatar is Death :) I just finished the Sandman books and I'm in love with her and Dream at the same time.

Nice to meet you Han, I've seen you post before and I like chatting with the girls around here. We seem to be few and far between, maybe we should start a poll about it.

:foryou: Nice to meet you! The Boardie Wimmenz are the best, I really can't lie. ;)