• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

when did the addiction to HG started for you?

48 posts in this topic

I am definitely addicted to high grades and I wish I wasn't. From the first day and first purchase, I was careful with my book. I just know for most of my early childhood in this country, I was poor so whatever I bought with my money, I took care of it. It didn't matter if it was comic or shoes, I was taught to take care of them. I also got reminded plenty by the LCS owner back then to not damage the books. He didn't mind that I browsed thru the racks but reading was a no no. Most of the books I bought off the rack in the 80's would probably be in the VF range...not bad for something that were read 100 times without bags or boards.

I think as I got older and started to have money to buy back issues, I gravitated right away to the high grades because I found it "fascinating" to hold something that is 10 or 30 years old that looked like it just came off the rack.

How about you? at which point did the addiction started.

In 1998, when I was going through some of Motor City's Northland books. I realized that the "high grade" books in my collection were not really high grade. Then it jumped up a notch in 2003 when i started buying CGC books.

December 25th, 1978.

I was 7 years old, and I got my first Star Wars action figures for Christmas. The movie the previous summer had made a huge impression on me and these toys took so long to come out that I was dying to get them. I loved those damn things so much that even when I played with them I made sure not to chip the paint or bend the accessories. I still have my original couple dozen or so action figures from back then. They are as shiny as first day out of the package.

My Mom would go to various stores and check for the Star Wars figures for me. She could never remember which ones and I had and which ones I didn't. Being the weird kid that I was if she got me one that was a duplicate I would not open it and put it in a box still sealed.

About 13 years later I came home from college for Christmas break and my Mom presented me with a cardboard box with 30 sealed Star Wars figures from 1978-1980, all in pristine sealed condition.

So I started WAY early, and I really can't figure out why I cared so much about their condition, other than the fact that they meant a lot to me and I didn't want them ruined.

Best,

Chris

After I got back into collecting and started buying raw books on eBay. I thought they looked like and took out my OO books from the 80's to compare. The eBay books WERE . They looked like Hatian refugees compared to mine so I quit buying and started buying the good stuff.

December 25th, 1978.

I was 7 years old, and I got my first Star Wars action figures for Christmas. The movie the previous summer had made a huge impression on me and these toys took so long to come out that I was dying to get them. I loved those damn things so much that even when I played with them I made sure not to chip the paint or bend the accessories. I still have my original couple dozen or so action figures from back then. They are as shiny as first day out of the package.

My Mom would go to various stores and check for the Star Wars figures for me. She could never remember which ones and I had and which ones I didn't. Being the weird kid that I was if she got me one that was a duplicate I would not open it and put it in a box still sealed.

About 13 years later I came home from college for Christmas break and my Mom presented me with a cardboard box with 30 sealed Star Wars figures from 1978-1980, all in pristine sealed condition.

So I started WAY early, and I really can't figure out why I cared so much about their condition, other than the fact that they meant a lot to me and I didn't want them ruined.

Best,

Chris

You still have those or did you sell them off?

December 25th, 1978.

Best,

Chris

You still have those or did you sell them off?

Sold them when the bubbles started to yellow.

I am definitely addicted to high grades and I wish I wasn't. From the first day and first purchase, I was careful with my book. I just know for most of my early childhood in this country, I was poor so whatever I bought with my money, I took care of it. It didn't matter if it was comic or shoes, I was taught to take care of them. I also got reminded plenty by the LCS owner back then to not damage the books. He didn't mind that I browsed thru the racks but reading was a no no. Most of the books I bought off the rack in the 80's would probably be in the VF range...not bad for something that were read 100 times without bags or boards.

I think as I got older and started to have money to buy back issues, I gravitated right away to the high grades because I found it "fascinating" to hold something that is 10 or 30 years old that looked like it just came off the rack.

it started for me back when hg was cheap. it ended for me when it got expensive.

Since I picked up my first comic and that Groo is stilla 9.8 canidate;)

When I was 14 I remember being at the SDCC and passing by all these low # ASM's and not buying them because they weren't in Mint lol

When I was 10 (my second year of collecting) I discovered ''condition'' and ALWAYS wanted the best possible. To this day I refuse to buy anything below a 9.8 for copper/modern books.

<<<<<<<<< Bottom feeder and proud of it! You can keep all those pricey 5.0 and 7.5 books, send me a sweet, sweet stack of 1.8 to 2.5 GA and I'm a happy camper!!!

(Which is not to say that if a nice 9.2 or better falls into my lap I turn it down, oh my no! I sell it to some knucklehead a high grade collector and buy another stack with the proceeds)