• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free WW Con ticket with a sub

21 posts in this topic

I have a question about WW cons and I really don't think it deserves a new thread so hopefully someone can help me here.

Now I have never been to a Wizard Con before and I am looking forward to the one coming up in Toronto. This isn't to say Toronto hasn't had great shows in the past (the Fan Expos have been fantastic) but no-one is coming to complain about another big show. Looking on-line I see there are VIP packages and such and I was wondering if anyone has purchased a package like this before. From looking at it it seems as though they hand you a package with upwards of 50 comics in it. Asking if it is 'worth it' is pointless as to each their own but to those that have purchased a VIP package were you happy with it?

I purchased VIP packages to WW Chicago in 2003 and 2004.

2003 was great, got to meet lots of cool artists, including Michael Turner who did a free sketch for me. Also got free sketches from Erik Larsen, Mark Bagley and Greg Land at the VIP event. The swag bag had everything it was supposed to, lots of great stuff. There were sandwiches, chips, cookies, and drinks provided for free. All in all it was a very positive experience.

2004 was horrible. After everyone had purchased their VIP tickets, Wizard THEN announced that artists would not be doing sketches, so don't even ask. There was no food or drinks this time. The really aggravating part was that almost none of the items that were supposed to be in the swag bag were included. On the website there was a long list of about 15 items that were supposed to be in it, but all that was in the bag was one comic book, and a certificate good for $20 at the Wizard store. That was it! Everyone felt really ripped off. Myself and my friends sent several e-mails to Wizard asking what happened to the stuff that was supposed to be in our swag bags, none of us received a reply.

That experience really soured me on Wizard, and I certainly didn't buy a VIP ticket after that.

That does not sound encouraging. How could they get away with not even including the items that were listed?

It looked like a 'fun' thing to buy as I do like modern variants but if they are going to substitute things with a gift certificate that would be completely unacceptable.

Heck from what I was told when they cancelled the Los Angeles show last year it took people who paid $1000 for a Stan Lee VIP ticket months and months to get their money back. That cancellation caught everyone off guard. And it won't surprise me if there are still people out there who haven't gotten their money back. I used to really look forward to going to the Wizard shows in the past but since they have switched their emphasis from comic creators to "media" guests it has not been the same. I personally think that Grarab needs to get back to concentrating on what was his three best shows. Chicago, Philly and LA. But now he looks like he is more interested in buying up shows all over the place instead of fixing and making his three best shows the top shows to go to again, I don't know what happened at Wizard HQ over the last 2 years but it is not looking pretty at all. Sorry Wizard.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

Heck from what I was told when they cancelled the Los Angeles show last year it took people who paid $1000 for a Stan Lee VIP ticket months and months to get their money back. That cancellation caught everyone off guard. And it won't surprise me if there are still people out there who haven't gotten their money back. I used to really look forward to going to the Wizard shows in the past but since they have switched their emphasis from comic creators to "media" guests it has not been the same. I personally think that Grarab needs to get back to concentrating on what was his three best shows. Chicago, Philly and LA. But now he looks like he is more interested in buying up shows all over the place instead of fixing and making his three best shows the top shows to go to again, I don't know what happened at Wizard HQ over the last 2 years but it is not looking pretty at all. Sorry Wizard.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

I completely agree with you.

I know there were a number of people that bought some of the more expensive VIP passes in Chicago in 2009 who were still desperately trying to get their promised swag sent out to them months after the con. They complained and complained to no avail on Wizard's message boards until Wizard suddenly yanked down their forum one day...

The FREE Ticket has a $4 "Convenience Fee" attached to it from Ticket Leap. So, your "all in" is a little over $60 for a 2 year subscription and a 3 Day Pass.

Overall, not a bad deal considering if you were planning to go to the convention, a 3 Day Pass is $45. So, that's like getting a 2 year subscription for $15.

The whole "VIP" and different levels of "packages" used to be value added premiums. In later years, the packages contained leftover items from previous years like that "Ultimate Invisible Woman" Marvel Bust that is "free" with almost every and any package offering... and a bunch of sub-par CGC graded books with very common grades and other stuff not worth the extra money. As for rights to meet guests with limitations, so long as it's disclaimed, I guess it's fair, but so long as the disclaimer has limits and the prices can't justify those limitations, I'd speculate most would not see value in basically rights to maybe cut into an express line ahead of others, but still be in a line and wait.

I know the VIP tickets used to get either early entry or an express line to get into the convention hall, but the last year at the Los Angeles Wizard World, the like organization was very disoranized and the VIP ticket didn't get any preferred treatment.

Also, in years past, Wizard World would invite celebrity guests who would appear for fans and sign autographs for free. These were "A" grade celebrity guests promoting new movies, and even giving out nice promotional posters and swag.

Lately, the conventions have feaured more "B" and "C" or below grade celebrities who charge for their autographs, photos with them and selling their wares. The Hulk, Baby Boba Fett, a random actor who played a Jawa in Star Wars, and the rest of the usual suspects.

Hopefully the Wizard World Anaheim show brings their "A" game and makes this a fan friendly show.

Wizard is desparately trying to shore up their subscription numbers. At the last few shows, a 12 month subscription was $20 with a free gift. Even to renew is either $24 or $28, which is a little above $2 an issue. Given their cover price, it is MUCH cheaper to get a subscription than order it from a store.

Their VIP packages and tickets started out really great, as Mutant Manatee described. Wizard decided to scale back the perks to the VIP ticket over the years, to the point that yeah, it is really not worth it *UNLESS* the VIP signings they offer with the ticket are with a hard-to-get comic guest (like Jim Lee, Joe Quesada, or Todd McFarlane) and the guaranteed signatures help make up for the cost. The swag you get with the ticket is leftover stuff, you can probably order it direct from their store or eBay account, and hope that it arrives.

I don't think people from Wizard read this board, though they read their own boards on occasion. Unfortunately, they are down to a handful of employees plus interns or freelancers, so even if they have an employee who cares about fan comments, I do not believe they have the power to make real change. Wizard has decided, it seems, to go after the "autograph show" revenue and pack the room with B and C list celebrities, wrestlers, and possibly some comic guests and some comic publishers with ties to the magazine.

Bottom line: I would wait until before the show to see who their VIP signings are going to be with, and then decide if you want to buy a VIP ticket. Unfortunately, due to their desire to compete with other conventions on the same weekend, I think Wizard's likelihood of attracting a top-flight comic creator is slim. (Oh, and don't think that Wizard will offer their celeb guests to a VIP badge holder, since celeb guests want $$ for every autograph given)

Joel

2004 was horrible. After everyone had purchased their VIP tickets, Wizard THEN announced that artists would not be doing sketches, so don't even ask. There was no food or drinks this time. The really aggravating part was that almost none of the items that were supposed to be in the swag bag were included. On the website there was a long list of about 15 items that were supposed to be in it, but all that was in the bag was one comic book, and a certificate good for $20 at the Wizard store. That was it! Everyone felt really ripped off. Myself and my friends sent several e-mails to Wizard asking what happened to the stuff that was supposed to be in our swag bags, none of us received a reply.

That experience really soured me on Wizard, and I certainly didn't buy a VIP ticket after that.

+1, I purchased VIP ticket for WW Philly in 2004. My experience was just like the one described above.

So is Wizard in 'trouble' financially?

Thanks for all the input. I was looking forward to the Wizard show and now not so much.

At least CGC is going to be there. They haven't made their way to Canada in a few years.

The wizard shows are still good for buying since 80% of the dealers are comic dealers.

They still bring out a few big name comic guys but they are more recent. No big silver or

golden artist(which would be great). As far as the autograph people go, they bring in who is out there William Shatner is a great guest he is high priced but Wizard does not handle how much he charges. You still get the has beens and the c and d level guest, but thats at every show. And for each of you that says you dont care about the hulk or Star wars guy#2 enough people do to make it worth that guys time to be there. So you can go to the show and support the parts you like and inform the Wizard staff of what you would like to see and hope they get the message. Or don't go and go to another show that might be farther away or not have the dealers that set up at the Wizard show.

Their VIP packages and tickets started out really great, as Mutant Manatee described. Wizard decided to scale back the perks to the VIP ticket over the years, to the point that yeah, it is really not worth it *UNLESS* the VIP signings they offer with the ticket are with a hard-to-get comic guest (like Jim Lee, Joe Quesada, or Todd McFarlane) and the guaranteed signatures help make up for the cost. The swag you get with the ticket is leftover stuff, you can probably order it direct from their store or eBay account, and hope that it arrives.

I don't think people from Wizard read this board, though they read their own boards on occasion. Unfortunately, they are down to a handful of employees plus interns or freelancers, so even if they have an employee who cares about fan comments, I do not believe they have the power to make real change. Wizard has decided, it seems, to go after the "autograph show" revenue and pack the room with B and C list celebrities, wrestlers, and possibly some comic guests and some comic publishers with ties to the magazine.

Bottom line: I would wait until before the show to see who their VIP signings are going to be with, and then decide if you want to buy a VIP ticket. Unfortunately, due to their desire to compete with other conventions on the same weekend, I think Wizard's likelihood of attracting a top-flight comic creator is slim. (Oh, and don't think that Wizard will offer their celeb guests to a VIP badge holder, since celeb guests want $$ for every autograph given)

Joel

Excellent advice Joel. I agree with your bottom line too, though I believe Wizard got rid of their won boards a few months back...

I remember the first year I got a VIP in Chicago - they gathered all the biggest guests together in one room for us for an hour (Turner, Quesada, Silvestri, etc.) and even had Joss Whedon there and provided snacks. It was a relaxed vibe and you were able to sit and talk with some of the creators and I got a number of things signed by Whedon without the many hour wait for just 1 sig. It was amazing, but after that year it morphed into just special signings with one creator a few times throughout the weekend and the extras got worse and worse...