• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Cap books shooting up again?

13 posts in this topic

Ok let me first say this isn't a thread about Cap books shooting up drugs or something. Has anyone noticed that Cap books are starting to go for more then they were over the summer? Watching a Cap 101 9.6 with 46 min to go already at 285..100 dollars more then when it sold at All Star Auc's San Diego auction. Also been watching Cap's between 110-115 in 9.4 go for over 200. Just curious if anyone else noticed this and any ideas why they're going up? (other then the fact that I've decided to collect them thus they suddenly go beyond what I wanna pay for them frown.gif)

Brian

I haven't been able to read many new titles since Marvel (very bad move in my opinion, btw) stopped putting some of their issues online to read. How's his new title looking? I thought vol 3 was great, but I stopped buying them after about #40 and was very annoyed when I heard they were rebooting AGAIN.

Brian

only read a couple of issues myself, but marvel are turning him into a punisher type character who is waging a war against terrorism.

the premise is a bit of a stretch actually, since it involves not only a number re-boot but also a complete change of character for cap. he now kills without a second thought.

the cassidy artwork though is great, and IMHO its worth checking the book out for that alone.

any ideas why they're going up?

After 9-11, patriotism soared to heights the like of which I've never seen in my life. It effected everyone, and so now there is more of a demand for patriotic covers like Superman (1st Series) issue 14 (that cover is sweet). Captain America is the embodyment of American patriotism, so there is more of a demand for Captain America books, and with more people looking to purchase them, the more competitive the prices will be.

Interesting but that would be more of an explanation of why they would've gone up last year..I guess the tie in to terrorism of the new series could be the culprit though..so you could be right..

Brian

It effected everyone, and so now there is more of a demand for patriotic covers like Superman (1st Series) issue 14 (that cover is sweet).

Very true... the recent DC Direct statue of that cover is pretty nice too... and I am not just saying that because I am selling three of them on eBay this week... smile.gif

I think the spike in Cap prices echoes the reality we always see. If the current material featuring a character is cool, the back issues of that character will be more in demand. The first two years of the current Black Panther series were so good people started scavenging everywhere looking for earlier stuff. Kevin Smith made Daredevil cool again in 98 and all the older stuff started selling better. The current Thor series has been lame since issue 12 so there are fewer people chasing his back issues. Bruce Jones' run on Hulk has sent people scrambling for older Hulk material. Collectors are sheep just waiting to be led to greener pastures.

One factor I don't think enough of us here consider is the turn times at CGC. If I see a book selling great on eBay, but I know it will take months to get mine back, I may not send it in. So the prices may stay artificially high while quality copies sit on the sidelines. When turn times grow shorter submitters have a better chance to react to the market. The CGC market turns like a coal barge right now. And until you get consistently dependable turnaround times, the product available for sale will be representative of how the submitter felt months ago.

Yeah, speaking of those times..I'd really like to see Economy get "on-time" and then maybe cut it back to 30 days. Right now with economy you basically wait yourself out of a good sale sometimes (it would seem?).

Brian

i recently saw a Cap #110 in 9.6 go over $600! And a DD #43 (fights Cap) approach $400 in 9.6. #117 always commands $ and #111 is such a great cover. From 100-120, u can't go wrong, after that, Cap books tend to go way down in popularity it seems.

Right now with economy you basically wait yourself out of a good sale sometimes (it would seem?).

Well just as an example, I have two short boxes of Mylar'd comics (roughly 200 total) that are destined for Sarasota, but they have yet to be sent because I can't afford to have that much working capital tied up for that long. Included are multiple high grade copies of Amazing Adventures 12-17, Swamp Thing 2-12, ASM 103-120, Wonder Woman 160-205, and a slew of 1st print Undergrounds. I have sold around three dozen books raw out of those boxes in the last few months, but for the most part they sit and wait for better turn times.

On the one hand you can look at those 200 books and say that CGC will get their money eventually. But on the other hand, every book I sell raw while I wait is business they just lost. I am not dogging CGC here, I think they do a fabulous job and in a choice between grading consistency and turn times I hope they always choose consistency. It will just take time for them to get enough quality people hired to be able to meet the demand. I don't think anyone associated with the forming of CGC expected the demand to be as strong as it is.

Actually, the new Punisher Wolver-Cap who's running around snapping necks, coupled with that horrid "The Truth" Black-Cap ret-con nonsense has caused many irate readers to move to back issues as the way to get their Captain America fix.

And let's not even go near that "Yer Momma Wears Army Boots" Ultimate Craptain America.

I'd love to post an intelligent rebuttal to the criticism of the new portrayal of Cap, CI...... but I can't. It seems like this book is as slow to come out as Smith's DD was.

My suspicion, though, is that they simply want to portray a more determined Cap. I don't think you'll see necks snapped routinely, but again, I could offer a stronger opinion with a few more stories under my belt.

I think they give up on the character too easily now..the series they had going and then rebooted at like 50 could've been saved..instead they gave up and restarted with a harder Cap that is kinda an insult to a lot of original Cap fans. This is the reason I quit reading, once they quit giving up on a character and stop trying to make him this and that and this to everyone..then it might become interesting to me again.

Brian