• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ya Know, Hellboy's Not Too Bad

43 posts in this topic

But both final showdowns ended on a downer note, and HB2 had the chick sacrificing herself rather than Hellboy actively doing anything.

SPOILER ALERT!!! (tsk)

Dude the movie was released July 2008. No spoilers exist.

that doesn't mean dog poo. (shrug) i still haven't seen E.T. or the titanic. :baiting:

E.T. phones home, and the boat sinks.

Jack dies of hypothermia.

Jenny dies of AIDS and Momma dies of cancer.

Malcolm was dead all along.

Norman had his dead mother in his basement.

Private Ryan lives.

Dorothy makes it back to Kansas.

Marty makes it back to 1985.

Clarence gets his wings.

James Bond gets the girl.

Rod Tidwell gets the money.

Ray Kinsella plays catch with his dad.

Roy Hobbs plays catch with his son.

Indiana Jones finds the Ark.

And the Holy Grail.

The Von Trapp family escapes to Switzerland.

Andy escapes Shawshank.

The Planet of the Apes is just Earth many years later.

Seabiscuit wins.

So does Daniel LaRusso.

The Cleveland Indians suck at first but then they win in the end... twice.

Rockford loses to Racine in the World Series.

John Nash wins a Nobel Prize.

Charlie wins the chocolate factory.

Rocky wins. Then loses. Then wins. Then Apollo dies and Rocky goes to Russia and wins again. Then he becomes an arm wrestling truck driver. Or something like that.

Rudy gets to play.

So do the Bears.

Frodo destroys the ring.

They find Nemo.

They shoot Old Yeller.

Princess Fiona becomes an ogre.

The Beast becomes a human.

Darth Vader is Luke's father.

Verbal Kint is Keyser Söze.

Neo is the one.

Soylent Green is people!

Rhett leaves Scarlett.

Rosebud was a sled.

:gossip:

I really enjoyed both movies + feel that they should be mentioned along side the best comic book movies.

While not Batman Begins/Dark Knight level, I think I enjoyed them a bit more than Iron Man, which I still liked. These movies are just a lot of "fun", with very good performances given the subject matter, and I am a bit surprised there wasn't more "heat" about these on the forums.

I really enjoyed both movies + feel that they should be mentioned along side the best comic book movies.

While not Batman Begins/Dark Knight level, I think I enjoyed them a bit more than Iron Man, which I still liked. These movies are just a lot of "fun", with very good performances given the subject matter, and I am a bit surprised there wasn't more "heat" about these on the forums.

Same here.

I expected more discussion about Hellboy 2 as much as it was getting time in the press due to the success of the first movie.

(shrug)

i liked hellboy 2 better than hellboy 1 though.

Me too. I rented Hellboy II by accident and was really surprised by how much I liked it. So then I had to see the first HellBoy. I actually liked the added on part of the DVD about the making of Hellboy II, that was quite interesting.

Jack dies of hypothermia.

Jenny dies of AIDS and Momma dies of cancer.

Malcolm was dead all along.

Norman had his dead mother in his basement.

Private Ryan lives.

Dorothy makes it back to Kansas.

Marty makes it back to 1985.

Clarence gets his wings.

James Bond gets the girl.

Rod Tidwell gets the money.

Ray Kinsella plays catch with his dad.

Roy Hobbs plays catch with his son.

Indiana Jones finds the Ark.

And the Holy Grail.

The Von Trapp family escapes to Switzerland.

Andy escapes Shawshank.

The Planet of the Apes is just Earth many years later.

Seabiscuit wins.

So does Daniel LaRusso.

The Cleveland Indians suck at first but then they win in the end... twice.

Rockford loses to Racine in the World Series.

John Nash wins a Nobel Prize.

Charlie wins the chocolate factory.

Rocky wins. Then loses. Then wins. Then Apollo dies and Rocky goes to Russia and wins again. Then he becomes an arm wrestling truck driver. Or something like that.

Rudy gets to play.

So do the Bears.

Frodo destroys the ring.

They find Nemo.

They shoot Old Yeller.

Princess Fiona becomes an ogre.

The Beast becomes a human.

Darth Vader is Luke's father.

Verbal Kint is Keyser Söze.

Neo is the one.

Soylent Green is people!

Rhett leaves Scarlett.

Rosebud was a sled

The chick in The Crying Game is really a dude

I often post on here about how terrible many Marvel/DC Comics movies are, like the execrable Daredevil, Catwoman, Batman & Robin, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four and Punisher movies, along with the obligatory Spidey 3, so I wanted to post that I actually got around to seeing the Hellboy movies and they're not half-bad.

The Movie Channel was showing HellBoy II in HD over the holidays and I happened to switch it over just for curiosity's sake, and it was a blast. Not a great movie, but it was a lot of FUN and had some nice action set pieces. I watched Hellboy 1 in HD the other night, and it was both better (more formidable/cooler enemies) and worse (slow in places, unneeded love triangle) than the sequel, but Perlman was great in both.

Overall, Hellboy 1 and 2 were surprisingly good, especially compared to the flowing river of BS that accounts for about 90% of comic book flicks.

have you read any of HB. Cause the comics are even better.

IF you're a fan of Mignola's type of art. For anyone planning to buy, check his art out on the Web first. Personally I think his art is terrible, but you can't argue with his success.

Are there really people left out there who DON'T know what Mignola's art looks like? hm

Between his contributions to Batman and Hellboy, I doubt it.

He did the covers for "A Death in the Family," and those rocked!

426-1.jpg

The thing that left an impression on me about HB 1 was how they made his appearance (suit, probably partial CGI) look so fluid and organic in terms of the way the character blended into the movies composition, background and other elements. In other words, It wasn't a suit that stuck out like a sore thumb, or an unconvincing attempt at CGI (sorry, but this was one thing that troubled me about the Hulk's appearance).

Given HB 1's budget, Guillermo del Toro might have provided some valuable opinion and insight to the Hulk and FF crew, because IMHO part of the letdown with these two movies is that they might have done more to make The Thing and the Hulk translate their on screen appearance and presence as monoliths.

I often post on here about how terrible many Marvel/DC Comics movies are, like the execrable Daredevil, Catwoman, Batman & Robin, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four and Punisher movies, along with the obligatory Spidey 3, so I wanted to post that I actually got around to seeing the Hellboy movies and they're not half-bad.

The Movie Channel was showing HellBoy II in HD over the holidays and I happened to switch it over just for curiosity's sake, and it was a blast. Not a great movie, but it was a lot of FUN and had some nice action set pieces. I watched Hellboy 1 in HD the other night, and it was both better (more formidable/cooler enemies) and worse (slow in places, unneeded love triangle) than the sequel, but Perlman was great in both.

Overall, Hellboy 1 and 2 were surprisingly good, especially compared to the flowing river of BS that accounts for about 90% of comic book flicks.

:o

I gotta go outside and see if pigs are flying!

This is very refreshing JC. And I agree with you completely (except for your very last statement about 90%) I actually take the reverse view. 10% is BS, 90% is gold

These movies are just a lot of "fun", with very good performances given the subject matter, and I am a bit surprised there wasn't more "heat" about these on the forums.

JC nails it. I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments in this thread.

I watched HB 1 and 2 sequentially in an MTV here in Asia (anyone know what an MTV is?). I watched it with a date - she's a female university student.

Neither of us had any expectations going in before the film - and neither of us had even really heard of the movie (couldn't think of anything else to watch). After the first one, we were so entertained we watched the 2nd one the same night. They were fun movies - a high-end popcorn flick kinda.

So yes - fun fantasy movies that don't really have the "fantasy" feel to it. I thought there was good character development cause you really began to care for the individuals (HB, and his fish friend).