• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Give me your stupidest issue title

26 posts in this topic

Uncanny X-Men #168 - "Professor Xavier Is a Jerk!" lol

Hey, that was a great title. :sumo:

And for what it's worth, Kitty was absolutely right! He was a jerk!

Out of context, with no prior knowledge, just any schmoe off the street would think that was a ridiculous title. Now, I agree with you, that issue was great, but the story titles were kinda dumb. #170, the fight with Ororo and Callisto in the sewer for right to lead the Morlocks? It's called "Dancing In The Dark." Now, it makes sense in context, yet I still have the Bruce Springsteen song stuck in my head every time I see it.

:D

-slym

I'm currently re-reading all X-Men books (started with GS #1 - right now I'm up to #191) and I have to agree with you. For the most part, the stories range from good to excellent but most of Claremont's titles leave a lot to be desired. :P

If you want the "stupidest" story titles that are really great puns, just check out some ECs. "Taint the Meat, it's the Humanity!"

You said "taint."

lol

-slym

And "meat".

lol

lol

Out of context, with no prior knowledge, just any schmoe off the street would think that was a ridiculous title. Now, I agree with you, that issue was great, but the story titles were kinda dumb. #170, the fight with Ororo and Callisto in the sewer for right to lead the Morlocks? It's called "Dancing In The Dark." Now, it makes sense in context, yet I still have the Bruce Springsteen song stuck in my head every time I see it.

-slym

I'm currently re-reading all X-Men books (started with GS #1 - right now I'm up to #191) and I have to agree with you. For the most part, the stories range from good to excellent but most of Claremont's titles leave a lot to be desired. :P

"Professor Xavier Is a Jerk!" could be the title of all X-Men issues.

-slym

I read GS #1-up starting in 06 or 07....and literally could not get past #206.

I've picked the book up 4-5 times, and just cannot slog my way through it.

-slym

I read GS #1-up starting in 06 or 07....and literally could not get past #206.

I've picked the book up 4-5 times, and just cannot slog my way through it.

My general opinion of Uncanny was that it used to be really good up to #190ish and at least pretty good up to 220 or so. The rest I found mostly mediocre and in some cases downright unreadable. I continued buying the book up to #310 and then stopped for 3-4 years.

But, my collecting/accumulating/OCD nature made me return to the title from time to time, buying any back issue I could find to "complete the collection", and naturally, I read them too, in big chunks.

But this time, I'm going all the way. No matter how cringe-worthy some stories are, I'm going to read every single X-book - or die trying! :sumo:

And yes, "every single X-book" means every title. And ltd series. And specials. And crossovers. My head hurts thinking about it, but it might actually be fun, in a twisted sort of way! :insane:

I actually plan on doing the same for the Spider-titles after I'm done with the mutants :banana: