• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Give me your stupidest issue title

26 posts in this topic

I always laugh at the silly story/issue titles that editors come up with for monthly titles. Examples:

And They Called the Wind Pariah! - Incredible Hulk #268

Vengeance In the Sky With Diamonds! - Daredevil #101

Why is it that Marvel (IMO) has the stupidest story titles?

stu·pid (stpd, sty-)

adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est

1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.

2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.

3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.

4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.

5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

n.

A stupid or foolish person.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Latin stupidus, from stupre, to be stunned.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

stupid·ly adv.

stupid·ness n.

I love those old titles, as they're intended kitsch, playing off pop culture using a tongue-in-cheek approach.

There are some great ones from the BA and I often chuckle at them when I'm going through some books.

I like/hate how many of them end with an exclamation point...

Also, why is there not a punctuation mark (in English anyway) that is intended to convey sadness? I suppose we could go for the ellipsis which Marvel sometimes used, but not usually to that effect.

what the hell am I talking about.

Uncanny X-Men #168 - "Professor Xavier Is a Jerk!" lol

Hey, that was a great title. :sumo:

And for what it's worth, Kitty was absolutely right! He was a jerk!

Out of context, with no prior knowledge, just any schmoe off the street would think that was a ridiculous title. Now, I agree with you, that issue was great, but the story titles were kinda dumb. #170, the fight with Ororo and Callisto in the sewer for right to lead the Morlocks? It's called "Dancing In The Dark." Now, it makes sense in context, yet I still have the Bruce Springsteen song stuck in my head every time I see it.

:D

-slym