• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comicbook artist non-comic work (say that 3xs fast)

66 posts in this topic

Thanks guys, I am enjoying these.

Speaking of paperbacks, there was a set of Justice League of America books and the covers always reminded me of Alex Ross' work. Does anyone know if he did these covers? I remember seeing paintings that he did and they were very similar to the covers as well. On a side note if anyone did not read these, I have read the JLA and Flash one. They were excellent reads.

51JD0Q693SL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

9780743417136.jpg

stoneking.gif

Vince Locke does album covers. I think exclusively for Cannibal Corpse.

Depends on how heavily involved in comics the artist has to be. Camilla D'errico does lots of stuff outside of comics, I first heard of her through her fine art.

For fans of the Goon, Eric Powell did the cover art for The Golden Age (a kinda scream metal band) album Carry the Torch.

wow14.jpg

Frazetta did Wolfmother:

Like Molly Hatchet, Wolfmother used a Frazetta image. But the art wasn't done specifically for the album.

Still cool that they thought enough of Frazetta's work that they used it to help sell albums. (I dig Wolfmother BTW (thumbs u )

Thanks guys, I am enjoying these.

Speaking of paperbacks, there was a set of Justice League of America books and the covers always reminded me of Alex Ross' work. Does anyone know if he did these covers? I remember seeing paintings that he did and they were very similar to the covers as well. On a side note if anyone did not read these, I have read the JLA and Flash one. They were excellent reads.

51JD0Q693SL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

9780743417136.jpg

stoneking.gif

They certainly look like Ross.

Mike Kaluta has several album covers...

Danzig, Black Aria

51391.jpg

Danzig, Danzig 4

danzig410.jpg

I miss my Danzig, those were sold in the summer. :cry:

By the time 4 rolled around, the art on these was better than the music.

Frazetta has done album covers,paperbacks and movie posters.

Flirtin with Disaster, Beatin the Odds & Original for Molly Hatchet.

FwD had the famous 'barbarian with exposed nad' cover painting by Frank.

Also, Lou Fine went on to have a great advertising career. Later on, in the 60's (?), an editor invited him to work again in comic-books and he had been gone so long from the medium that the story never saw print as the art was "lifeless". I know I read this recently but can't remember where and who had commissioned the work. Anyone remembers?

Edit: IIRC, I read that in Man of Rock, the Shelly bio of Joe Kubert and it was Joe I believe who had commissioned the story. I finished the bio 2 weeks ago, great read from cover to cover.