• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Strip Art

10 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if there is a permanent thread for this topic, but I thought it would be a good time to at least see if there's enough interest in making this a permanent topic.

Over the past few years, I've seen some collectors shift their collecting focus from Superhero to strip art, and I've been looking at the prices realized on some of this stuff and it looks as though its on an upward trend.

Anyhow, I thought this might be a nice place to post discussions on our favorite strips, artists, storylines, and possibly strip reprint material. I'll be uploading some strip art onto my CAF and will post here for discussion.

I hope others will do likewise. (thumbs u

I have to admit not liking these perm threads. Take the general comic forum for example.

It has 7-8 threads that are stuck there and are so big it is ridiculous. I am not going to

spend hours going through those threads and seeing post after post of broken picture

links! Plus the nonsense posts and +1 posts give me a headache trying to view them.

If you have art from a particular artist, create a nice subject line explaining your post.

That way other people like me can search and find it. Over time the post goes to the

next page and life goes on. Oh, and the search function is so useless in some cases

with these monster threads showing up with page after page of results of useless info

depending on your search criteria.

I really do not expect my opinion to be valued around here because all boards have

hard core users that want it the way it is and change is EVIL. This board is complicated

enough with sub-forums, multiple forums for every category under the sun, and the

term *spoon* being used every few seconds :-|

So with that said, i really do like strip art. Comics are just an extension of that form of art.

I welcome anyone who posts stuff of that nature. Bring it on!

Just keep the sticky posts away from me. thanks ;0)

Strip art is still a great bargain, and lots of fantastic material.

Too bad it is underappreciated here in the States.

Overseas it is considered fine art!

Mitch I.

Like Mitch says except I'll go further

for a long time, strip art was most valuable than comic art. That changed considerably during the late 80s-early 90s

there are reasons of course.. most comic book collectors under 35 have never read most of the great comic strips is the biggest one

I would pick up some strip art when I started collecting but only a piece here or there. In the last 5 or 6 years I have found I and buying more original strips. Many are quite inexpensive, there are the exceptions, Peanuts, Far Side and Bloom County. I tend to look for one good example from a strip or I like getting strips published on my birthday. It doesn't matter what year it is especially for recent strips like Spider-Man, Bloom County or Non-Sequitur, though I have gotten lucky and found strips published on the day and year I was born, like Secret Agent X-9 (bought directly from Al Williamson), Wizard of ID or Rip Kirby by Alex Raymond.

Strips cover such a variety of areas from traditional strips like Peanuts or Blondie to Heroes Spider-Man, Superman and the Shadow and then there are the ones that don't always have recurring characters like Far Side and Non-Sequitur. I have strips running all the way back to 1942, half a Superman strips to an Archie done in the last few years. I have even gotten a week of consecutive Conan strips. Sometimes the strips tie in with comics as in the wedding of Peter and MJ and some are related to my con/commission theme Apple/iPod. For those into Original comic book art there is a strip for everyone no matter the tastes. Here are some of the favorites from my collection:

Secret Agent X-9 by Al Williamson

secretagent_x9_2_27_68.jpg

Superman (1/2strip) by John Sikela

superman_strip1942.jpg

Non-Sequitur by Wiley

11-22-96-nonsequitur.jpg

Wedding of Peter and MJ

spiderman_strip_6_17_87.jpg

spiderman_strips_6_18_87.jpg

Bloom County by Berke Breathed

bloomcounty_2_27_89.jpg

Hi, folks:

I have the opportunity to purchase an Otto Soglow Little King Sunday from 1965 and was hoping for a little help regarding valuation?

Little King is featured predominantly in most panels, board is oversized, no staining or condition problems that would detract from eye appeal. Any help would be appreciated.