• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The events leading up to "Planet Hulk" SHOULD have been the "event"

18 posts in this topic

just my opinion, but i feel that the event should have started with the hulk messing up las vegas (for some decent reason), then reed and 'em trying to send him to an obscure, peaceful planet. the tag line could have been something about Hulk never being the same, and it'd be true. after Hulk strays off course, the gladiator part would start and continue for as long as they could write decent stories.

yes, i know it's dreaming. and i know they'd never turn down a chance to make money over having a character fit his situation, but they could have drawn people in with the "Hulk destroys vegas" story. they could write gladiator hulk stories for years. keep his wife and son alive, and build off of that. oh well, that's what dreams are for i guess.

At the length it was, Planet Hulk was a true classic. If it had been any longer, it would have risked running out of steam. 2c

At the length it was, Planet Hulk was a true classic. If it had been any longer, it would have risked running out of steam. 2c

I agree, I loved Planet Hulk. Plus in a few years, they'll find a way to bring Caira and the kid back anyway, if they haven't already. I stoppped reading Hulk at the 3rd issue of WWH. :sick:

I agree, I loved Planet Hulk. Plus in a few years, they'll find a way to bring Caira and the kid back anyway, if they haven't already. I stoppped reading Hulk at the 3rd issue of WWH. :sick:

Not only did they bring the kid back Sean, they aged him gave him his own title and now gave him a regular appearance in Incredible Hulk. :ohnoez:

Not only did they bring the kid back Sean, they aged him gave him his own title and now gave him a regular appearance in Incredible Hulk. :ohnoez:

exactly why my original post was made. hulk would have been FAR better in the short term and long term staying as a gladiator book on another planet with his wife and kid.

I take it you're agreeing with gaz's 2nd statement and not his first.

I agree in saying that Planet Hulk was great as-is and likely would have suffered if it went much longer. It was one of the best mainstream Marvel reads in the last 5 years.

I take it you're agreeing with gaz's 2nd statement and not his first.

I agree in saying that Planet Hulk was great as-is and likely would have suffered if it went much longer. It was one of the best mainstream Marvel reads in the last 5 years.

yes. i don't care for hulk on earth. never have. i personally feel the gladiator approach is a perfect fit, and i'd rather they fail trying to put the hulk in the right situation, then fail bringing him back so he can fight everyone. really, they've failed with the hulk. maybe the gladiator approach would run out of gas, but we don't know that. we DO, however, know that what they DID do, failed horribly.

The key is Hulk can't cut loose like he did on Sakaar.

Pak could create a nutz character and have the Hulk slaughter him. That was great.

Honestly, it's the reason that WWH failed. Hulk couldn't kill anyone and everyone knew it would go down that way.

Pat

The key is Hulk can't cut loose like he did on Sakaar.

Pak could create a nutz character and have the Hulk slaughter him. That was great.

Honestly, it's the reason that WWH failed. Hulk couldn't kill anyone and everyone knew it would go down that way.

Pat

You've got a good point there, Pat.

Just like the sun rising in the east.

They are going to rank Planet Hulk pretty high years down the road. Its been a long while since I picked up a Hulk book and went wow. Almost every issue of Planet Hulk for one reason or another made me do that.

Very true!

I loved reading it! (thumbs u

Yeah, and a fantastic hard cover with solid extras made reading it even better. To me, it was the best Hulk story ever told (especially due to longevity). If Sakaar was getting old (which I find hard to believe), they could have had him stop at other planets along the ride.

One part I really loved is how they took random characters from other Marvel books (generally villians) and made them an integral part of his group. The Brood, the characters from JIM 83, etc.

Pat

Yeah, and a fantastic hard cover with solid extras made reading it even better. To me, it was the best Hulk story ever told (especially due to longevity). If Sakaar was getting old (which I find hard to believe), they could have had him stop at other planets along the ride.

One part I really loved is how they took random characters from other Marvel books (generally villians) and made them an integral part of his group. The Brood, the characters from JIM 83, etc.

Pat

This is why Geoff Johns is so good, he does this all the time. He has 2 volumes of JSA where he did it every few issues.

Marvel does it once and they go "Hey that worked" then some front office insufficiently_thoughtful_person goes lets plan a summer event around it and tie in all the books. When will these learn that by writing self contained stories with good art and paced action that you can eventually get the other stuff. Hire Shooter back and give him some power.

Don't know if it's a good read but the Hulk spent a year (real time) off the earth in his book in the late 80's (issues 301-313).

The Crossroads. Did not care for it too much.

It depends upon you're looking for, I guess.

In these stories, the Hulk has been driven pretty-much nuts by Nightmare, and is banished to the 'Crossroads of Eternity' by Dr. Strange.

While in the Crossroads, this 'Mindless Hulk' interacts with a creature called the Puffball Collective (horrible name, I know). This creature tries to get some understanding of the Hulk (for its own needs - which pays off about issue #308), while the Hulk pinballs through a series of different worlds.

The significance of these stories, written by Bill Mantlo (with art by Buscema & Mignola!), I believe - is that this is the first time it's explored that Bruce Banner was the victim of child abuse... a theme that Peter David picked up on and used to great affect. I believe Pak has even been quoted as saying this storyline was a big influence for him for his Hulk stories.

While the Hulk stories seem to be mostly 'flavor-of-the-month,' with him careening/interacting within these different worlds, it is the examination of Banner's psyche by the Puffball Collective at the beginning & end of each issue that really set things in motion for years to come. Of course, Peter David gets of ton of credit for picking up on this theme & running with it.

Overall, these particular stories weren't fantastic, but they didn't seem to suck as bad as WWH. In fact, for pay-off/build-up, WWH has to be one of the all-time worst stories in the history of Marvel Comics.