• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

Ok, so read the first several pages of posts and skipped ahead.

Admidiatly, I've only been in the hobby for a little over a year and a half. I also didn't buy books from any where other than ebay and a LCS until I found the boards this past summer.

What I don't get is why does it matter if a books been pressed?? If you truely can't detect it (unlike color touch-ups, rebuilding the pages, etc.), who effing cares?

And what the heck is NOD? (shrug)

Go back and read the fake tits/real tits analogy.

I liked that one. :cloud9:

Admidiatly, I've only been in the hobby for a little over a year and a half. I also didn't buy books from any where other than ebay and a LCS until I found the boards this past summer.

What I don't get is why does it matter if a books been pressed?? If you truely can't detect it (unlike color touch-ups, rebuilding the pages, etc.), who effing cares?

Which one's in your sig line?

Which one's in your sig line?

They, my son, are 100% real. :cloud9:

Been around a year-and-a-half, and still doesn't know why people care?

doh!

-slym

I didn't say I didn't know why people care. The statement was meant to be more along the lines of "get over it". If it truly is not detectable, it's not going to stop. Who should care about pressing? People should just accept that its going to happen and find something more interesting about the hobby to discuss.

doh!

-slym

I didn't say I didn't know why people care. The statement was meant to be more along the lines of "get over it". If it truly is not detectable, it's not going to stop. Who should care about pressing? People should just accept that its going to happen and find something more interesting about the hobby to discuss.

Oh, OK then.

Do you mind if I tell you what you should give a flying about, then? Can we discuss that instead? (shrug)

doh!

-slym

greggy (shrug)

or Girls & Comics (ie pillow fights & slumber parties) (shrug)

doh!

-slym

Oh, OK then.

Do you mind if I tell you what you should give a flying about, then? Can we discuss that instead? (shrug)

Your welcome to make recommendations :headbang:

I would expect mass resignations from NOD members if, as an organization, they embrace and profit from pressing for clients that will not disclose.

I can't imagine they would all agree to not jump ship when the Captain steers it towards an iceberg.

Mutiny or death? Seems like an easy choice to me. (shrug)

my recommendation is that if you should probably stop asking for recommendations. also, you should probably just keep out of these sort of threads. it will lessen the amount of poo flung your way and keep your blood pressure down

doh!

-slym

Oh, OK then.

doh!

lol

doh!

-slym

Oh, OK then.

doh!

lol

(Thumbs u

my recommendation is that if you should probably stop asking for recommendations. also, you should probably just keep out of these sort of threads. it will lessen the amount of poo flung your way and keep your blood pressure down

I smell minty fresh and if I were anymore laid back, I'd be in a coma. (shrug)

(thumbs u

With so many sweet books coming to market these days, I'm often tempted to bid on some of these books at auction. But, it's gotten to the point where I just have to assume the book has been manipulated to reach its maximum potential by the seller (and I subsequently lose all interest). I mean, since there's basically no downside to it (negligible time, cost, risk of damage and negative stigma), I'm sure even books with defects that can't be pressed out are regularly thrown under the press in the off-chance that the book just gains a more flattering appearance post-flattening. :(

I still don't understand how a book that has achieved its high grade through artificial manipulation can be considered the equal of a book that was cherry-picked off the stands (or even the printing press, like the Gaines EC file copies) and studiously well preserved by its owner(s) over years and decades. The sad thing is, even the aforementioned Gaines File Copies have been pressed. I mean, how absurd is it that Bill Gaines cherry-picked the best copies of his books and preserved them for decades, only to have some greedy snot press his Mad #1. That is just disgusting - how can anyone think that this is what the hobby should be about?

And we all know that Church books have also been pressed (apparently the rich history and lore behind those books wasn't enough for some people, they had to press the hell out of those too), as well as many copies of the top Silver Age books, mere pawns in some twisted opera of greed and ego. Instead of being revered, respected and accepted for what they were, their owners had to throw them under the iron too for the shot at the 0.2 bump.

This hobby truly deserves everything that's coming to it.

doh!

-slym

Oh, OK then.

I recommend spelling you're correctly. :insane:

With so many sweet books coming to market these days, I'm often tempted to bid on some of these books at auction. But, it's gotten to the point where I just have to assume the book has been manipulated to reach its maximum potential by the seller (and I subsequently lose all interest). I mean, since there's basically no downside to it (negligible time, cost, risk of damage and negative stigma), I'm sure even books with defects that can't be pressed out are regularly thrown under the press in the off-chance that the book just gains a more flattering appearance post-flattening. :(

I still don't understand how a book that has achieved its high grade through artificial manipulation can be considered the equal of a book that was cherry-picked off the stands (or even the printing press, like the Gaines EC file copies) and studiously well preserved by its owner(s) over years and decades. The sad thing is, even the aforementioned Gaines File Copies have been pressed. I mean, how absurd is it that Bill Gaines cherry-picked the best copies of his books and preserved them for decades, only to have some greedy snot press his Mad #1. That is just disgusting - how can anyone think that this is what the hobby should be about?

And we all know that Church books have also been pressed (apparently the rich history and lore behind those books wasn't enough for some people, they had to press the hell out of those too), as well as many copies of the top Silver Age books, mere pawns in some twisted opera of greed and ego. Instead of being revered, respected and accepted for what they were, their owners had to throw them under the iron too for the shot at the 0.2 bump.

Hopefully what's coming to this hobby of comic book collecting are level-headed thoughtful opinions from people who actually participate in it.

Oh GOD.

doh!

Hmm that smiley face is pressing his hand against his head. So does this mean his head or his hand is restored? Or neither. The world may never know...

I didn't expect to see this thread pop up today. I guess it's an "if you can't beat 'em..." situation.

-Rob-

Mike,

How do you know what I do or do not want to do?

I did want to join then. But I knew full well that I wouldn't be allowed to because of the way the organization was set up.

I don't want to join NOD now because the organization is useless in my opinion.

But I'd happily join NOD if it were something worth joining.

Make it so :wishluck:

Working on it. Seriously.

(thumbs u

This is the most profound post I've ever read on these boards.

You have a keen understanding of the collector's inherit naivete, the wisdom to understand that greed is the most powerful of motivators and that it provides the impetus for those "in the know" to prey on the weak and uninformed, and the knowledge to know that it inevitably will lead to ruin.

Thanks for taking the time to make your post.