• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

Just curious does anyone think its sad & unfortunate that most of the educated people on these boards only post anymore on these type of threads? :(

Boards for the past year have been filled with lackluster threads about god knows what.

Maybe some are more educated than you think and avoid these threads.

Pressing and CGC have changed the model by which collectors make money. Used to be collectors made money by buying books and holding them until their value increased above the purchase price. It was slow and a labor of love for the comics, if you will. It usually took many years before values rose enough that one's selling price exceeded the purchase price.

Now we have the age of collector A.D.D., in which books can be pressed, slabbed, and sold above purchase price essentially immediately. There are certainly favorable and unfavorable aspects to each model (not trying to pass any judgement here), but the current age of flipping would seem to hold less love for the comics.

Pressing and CGC have changed the model by which collectors make money. Used to be collectors made money by buying books and holding them until their value increased above the purchase price. It was slow and a labor of love for the comics, if you will. It usually took many years before values rose enough that one's selling price exceeded the purchase price.

Now we have the age of collector A.D.D., in which books can be pressed, slabbed, and sold above purchase price essentially immediately. There are certainly favorable and unfavorable aspects to each model (not trying to pass any judgement here), but the current age of flipping would seem to hold less love for the comics.

:gossip: books can be slabbed and sold above purchase price immediately without being pressed

:gossip: books can be slabbed and sold above purchase price immediately without being pressed

Agreed, Tim, it's encompassed by the "CGC" component of my post. But now there's another way that wasn't nearly as prevalent decades ago.

then why are so many of your books slabbed before they are sold?

It seems you are wanting your cake and eat it too. You think collectors should be required to buy and hold. To do things the way you did. But yet, you deride people who have "collector" ADD who buy/slab/flip or buy/press/slab/flip.

And what is up with the moral judgment on how much collectors love their comics?

It seems you are wanting your cake and eat it too. You think collectors should be required to buy and hold. To do things the way you did. But yet, you deride people who have "collector" ADD who buy/slab/flip or buy/press/slab/flip.

And what is up with the moral judgment on how much collectors love their comics?

I can't defend what you've chosen to misrepresent, Arex. For one thing, I clearly stated a belief that there are favorable and unfavorable aspects to collecting in both olden tymes and now in the age of CGC. I derided no one. I asked no one to buy and hold, let alone "required", as you put it. I have no idea why you choose to tee off about things I haven't even posted. You're way off base.

As far as why I slab books before selling them, the answer is obvious: to get a better price for them. You got a problem with that, too?

I proudly keep my Comics Manuel on the same shelf as the WWE Rulebook.

Does Manuel have a Visa? Or is he being kept here as an illegal?

Que?

article-1177596-002F8C0800000258-97_468x388.jpg

I can't defend what you've chosen to misrepresent, Arex. For one thing, I clearly stated a belief that there are favorable and unfavorable aspects to collecting in both olden tymes and now in the age of CGC. I derided no one. I asked no one to buy and hold. I have no idea why you choose to tee off about things I haven't even posted. You're way off base.

As far as why I slab books before selling them, the answer is obvious: to get a better price for them. You got a problem with that, too?

It appears some do Bob. That you turn a profit on a book you may have held in your posession for 30 years or press a book to get the bump to maximize your ROI. Don't you know that shrinks the available pool for the purists out there?

Last time I checked most books at a show, on ebay, at auction and even straight off the shelf are available to anyone who wants them and is willing to pay to get them. I think many are looking at the days when there was a lot of low hanging fruit to plunder and they see that the ride is now over.

I can't defend what you've chosen to misrepresent, Arex. For one thing, I clearly stated a belief that there are favorable and unfavorable aspects to collecting in both olden tymes and now in the age of CGC. I derided no one. I asked no one to buy and hold. I have no idea why you choose to tee off about things I haven't even posted. You're way off base.

It appears some do Bob. That you turn a profit on a book you may have held in your posession for 30 years or press a book to get the bump to maximize your ROI. Don't you know that shrinks the available pool for the purists out there?

And here I thought that bringing comics to market that had been off the market for many years or never been on the market in the first place INCREASED the available pool of comics. (shrug)

As a pirate who plunders what exactly are you talking about?

Should I price books at the Potential grade to discourage guys from pressing? Will the purist step up and pay the higher price so the seller isn't leaving money on the table. Ask a guy who has been upgraded about how he feels leaving thousands of dollars on the table.

The anti-pressers are looking for some code, some security to buy a book. Therefore a seller should code the books as NP (Not pressed), UP (upgrade potential), NU (Not upgradeable) and MP (Maximized potential). Imagine the fun sellers could have with that in their search engine feature.

While Gene and some others focus on the presser I feel that everybody wants a piece of that profit margin.

The guy who is pressing the book - why else would they have value tiers. Takes the same amount of time in the press.

The company grading those books - why else would they have a tier with "Fair market value". Takes the same time to grade.

Finally the auction house selling those books - If it's upgraded it coming back for a "Value added sale" so I get my cut. Takes the same amount of effort to sell.

I proudly keep my Comics Manuel on the same shelf as the WWE Rulebook.

Does Manuel have a Visa? Or is he being kept here as an illegal?

I thought he was deported along with Business Morales.

We need Jesus to come back and fix this problem.

Please don't convert them to MP3s. Use a lossless format to rip and then convert to your format of choice if your player can't play the lossless format. Google is your friend. I think Lifehacker has a good article on this.

Please don't convert them to MP3s. Use a lossless format to rip and then convert to your format of choice if your player can't play the lossless format. Google is your friend. I think Lifehacker has a good article on this.

Oh, meant I'm converting to apple lossless...or MP4. Saves space, but I did buy the WD 1.5 Terabyte external. That should be able to hold my 3,000 cd's.

I've got a question though, after I'm done with my CD's I would like to burn my DVD movies onto my hard drive. How do I get past the key encryption? I'm doing this in prep for my deployment to Afghanistan.