• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rare Batman

10 posts in this topic

Batman1949001.jpg?t=1263665253

It took me 15 years to find this. It is a one sheet of paper promo comic from 1949. It is only listed in the Hake's guide and is listed as scarce but I think it is extremely rare. Good luck in finding one.

I take it this also appeared as one of DC's public service announcements on the inside front cover of DC comics at the time (10,000,000 of them apparently). Is this the only one to have been printed as a seperate one sheet, and if so, what's the story?

Here is it in color (from a comic).

Batman+PSA.jpg

I did notice the ad slick/promotional piece or whatever the black and white page is has a copyright notice at the bottom that this printed page doesn't have.

comics.org lists this story appearing in:

Adventures of Bob Hope, The (1950 series) #1

February-March 1950 DC

All-Star Comics (1940 series) #51

February-March 1950 DC

Miss Melody Lane of Broadway (1950 series) #1

February-March 1950 DC

Real Screen Comics (1945 series) #28

February-March 1950

Credits from Comics.org:

-script: Jack Schiff

Pencils: Win Mortimer

Inks: Stan Kaye

Colors: ?

Letters: Ira Schnapp

Tom,

A copy of the Batman mask can be found in the DC Vault but your mask is an original I am sure. They both advertise the Philadelphia Record on the backside but the Vault version doesn't advertise the 1943 Deanna Durbin movie.

I think I have a Batman Sunday page from the Record stored in the closet. I'll have to dig it out.

Nice item.

Bruce

Bruce,

There are only a handful examples of the Deanna Durbin version known. There is currently one of these masks in the Hake's Americana & Collectibles auction.

Tom