• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC - Who's talking smack ?

131 posts in this topic

So today at The Vancouver Comic Show I heard some collectors talking about CGC so I thought I'd just stand by and listen a little.

One guy outright stated that CGC is a fraud. He said he heard you can call them up and request someone to grade your books, wink wink, bribe bribe.

Another guy stated he had spoken to ex-employees that said they (CGC) are a complete joke. He also stated he had been to Sarasota himself and "it isn't what you think it is down there". I think he was trying to imply that CGC is very Mickey Mouse.

Another guy stated he had a ASM 19 that he thought was a 9.0. He subbed it in and it came back a 7.5 so he resubbed it again and now it was a 8.5. I think people forget CGC is people and these grades are opinons so grades may vary a little. I took a look at it and it had a dust/sun shadow on the bc that I honestly am unsure how it should effect the gade.

Than some who seemed like he was lying started beaking off how some stuff might be a 6.0 one day and a 9.0 the other day. Maybe the guy grading is hung over :blahblah: This was the same genius that suggested CGC regularly accepts bribes.

They also discussed the ridiculous prices acheived by 9.8's that may be 9's on another day depending on the graders mood.

I've been pretty happy with CGC's grading for the most part and wanted to know if anyone had such jumps in grades on resubs w/o pressing.

I don't believe the bribe bs but perhaps CGC is softer ala Mound City collection. You bring us a load of SA,GA to grade we'll be a little looser on the grades.

Thoughts?

ps I like CGC so don't think I'm trying to bash'em (thumbs u

I'd just like to hear some peoples opinions on what they hear others saying - you know, the unfounded ridiculous stuff

I've not complained about anything I've subbed, although they've been mainly moderns. My one foray into SA and BA were very pleasing.

I've quizzed a few modern 9.6s which I thought would fetch 9.8s (and a couple of 9.8s I thought would fetch 9.6s!), but at that top end of the scale I suppose it is very subjective.

We all make mistakes, but I would like to believe no one can up 6.0 and 9.0s on a consistent basis.

I have submitted 3 books (yes w/o Pressing) and all 3 came back the same grade.

One book got a better PQ bump.

However, I do feel knowing how to grade without CGC's help will make your results obviously more favorable and less surprising other than higher grades achieved.

I've heard people say this kind of stuff before about crazy grade jumps. Caught a guy in a lie one time when he was spouting off saying how he subbed a book 3-4 times and it came back different every time.

Questioned him a bit about the submitting process which he had no clue about, I called bs, he said "ok, actually it was my friend" I still called bs.

I asked him why he would just make this stuff up. He finally caved after I kept grilling him about the situation than he said he was just kidding about the whole thing. doh!

I've heard people say this kind of stuff before about crazy grade jumps. Caught a guy in a lie one time when he was spouting off saying how he subbed a book 3-4 times and it came back different every time.

Questioned him a bit about the submitting process which he had no clue about, I called bs, he said "ok, actually it was my friend" I still called bs.

I asked him why he would just make this stuff up. He finally caved after I kept grilling him about the situation than he said he was just kidding about the whole thing. doh!

So why did you start this thread then if the whole conversation was a lie?

I'd be surprised if this thread makes it to Monday. Wonder who those ex-employees were and what kind of positions they held?

Honestly, I think the guy that said this was blowing hot air trying to sound like a somebody in the know. He's also the one that stated he visited them in Sarasota and saw the facilities and that they were a joke.

Anyone here been there ? What are they like ? Are customers even allowed in there ?

Are there pics of the facilities ?

That was a different time a LCS. Reread what I wrote (thumbs u

I'd be surprised if this thread makes it to Monday. Wonder who those ex-employees were and what kind of positions they held?

I"m surprised its still here now. :o I made a copy of the post just in case. doh!

DRX

exactly

exactly

see above :makepoint: I already addressed this

He was talking about two different incidents.

I always invite people to come check out the CGC boards myself at conventions. Seems like a good way to get new victims - I mean - blood on here... (thumbs u

Since I got into CGC books and have come to understand them, I've only had one complaint.

I had a German FF #10 with the Alex Ross version of the cover to #1 on it signed by Stan Lee and Alex Ross. I thought it was a 9.6 at the very least, but it came back an 8.5! :o

Talking to CGC, they said that the top edge had ripples on it. I couldn't find them in any kind of light and was still aggrivated until I took a slab apart and understood the inner well. The way I see it, CGC is pressing it for me in their holder, so I'll re-sub in a couple of years!

lol