• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC - Who's talking smack ?

131 posts in this topic

Too bad...

I think I would have stepped into the conversation and simply said...

"Never got the grade you wanted huh?"

There are also people who claim:

We never went the moon

JFK was killed by more than 1 gunman

Elvis is still alive and undercover...

You might want to change the title of the thread before it gets pulled.

:tonofbricks: yeah I was going to once it got a couple responses but how do I do that again

Edit your first post.

before this does get yanked can someone explain how I can change the title

Trouble is, you can't change the titles of the posts that responded to your first one lol

You might want to change the title of the thread before it gets pulled.

:tonofbricks: yeah I was going to once it got a couple responses but how do I do that again

Just look up at the title when you go to make a post. You can change it.

So today at The Vancouver Comic Show I heard some collectors talking about CGC so I thought I'd just stand by and listen a little.

One guy outright stated that CGC is a fraud. He said he heard you can call them up and request someone to grade your books, wink wink, bribe bribe.

Another guy stated he had spoken to ex-employees that said they (CGC) are a complete joke. He also stated he had been to Sarasota himself and "it isn't what you think it is down there". I think he was trying to imply that CGC is very Mickey Mouse.

Another guy stated he had a ASM 19 that he thought was a 9.0. He subbed it in and it came back a 7.5 so he resubbed it again and now it was a 8.5. I think people forget CGC is people and these grades are opinons so grades may vary a little. I took a look at it and it had a dust/sun shadow on the bc that I honestly am unsure how it should effect the gade.

Than some who seemed like he was lying started beaking off how some stuff might be a 6.0 one day and a 9.0 the other day. Maybe the guy grading is hung over :blahblah: This was the same genius that suggested CGC regularly accepts bribes.

They also discussed the ridiculous prices acheived by 9.8's that may be 9's on another day depending on the graders mood.

I've been pretty happy with CGC's grading for the most part and wanted to know if anyone had such jumps in grades on resubs w/o pressing.

I don't believe the bribe bs but perhaps CGC is softer ala Mound City collection. You bring us a load of SA,GA to grade we'll be a little looser on the grades.

Thoughts?

ps I like CGC so don't think I'm trying to bash'em (thumbs u

I'd just like to hear some peoples opinions on what they hear others saying - you know, the unfounded ridiculous stuff

92385.jpg.8859b873af6142d87c4e24f1e2d02c51.jpg

Too bad...

I think I would have stepped into the conversation and simply said...

"Never got the grade you wanted huh?"

There are also people who claim:

We never went the moon

JFK was killed by more than 1 gunman

Elvis is still alive and undercover...

We went to the moon, someone would have cracked and wrote a book by now.

Oswald killed Kennedy....ALONE.... somone would have cracked and wrote a book by now.

Elvis is still alive, he just went home.

men_in_black_movie_image_tommy_lee_jones_and_will_smith.jpg

I am confident in my grading and have never been overly disappointed with anything I have subbed once I learned the CGC grading curve. I find that sometimes I am tougher than CGC and sometimes I am more lenient, and really, that reenforces to me how subjective grading is.

That said, the ridiculousness surrounding the 9.4/6/8 price multiples and the indistinguishable differences between those grades does lend itself to, warranted or not, conspiracy theories regarding preferential treatment.

It just annoys me when I hear this stuff because besides the minor grade disagreements I think they are pretty damn trustworthy.

I kind of wish I'd gotten a little more verbal because it would be a shame if a couple goofballs influenced a bunch of other people to not trust CGC as well.

I've heard people say this kind of stuff before about crazy grade jumps. Caught a guy in a lie one time when he was spouting off saying how he subbed a book 3-4 times and it came back different every time.

Questioned him a bit about the submitting process which he had no clue about, I called bs, he said "ok, actually it was my friend" I still called bs.

I asked him why he would just make this stuff up. He finally caved after I kept grilling him about the situation than he said he was just kidding about the whole thing. doh!

So why did you start this thread then if the whole conversation was a lie?

That was a different time a LCS. Reread what I wrote (thumbs u

Either way you should understand most of the conversations I hear in lines or seeing what people think is worth sending to CGC is more often than not really doh! at comics cons.

These are probably the same guys that get signatures on books by artists and writers that had nothing to do with the book, and then submit that to CGC.

It just annoys me when I hear this stuff because besides the minor grade disagreements I think they are pretty damn trustworthy.

I kind of wish I'd gotten a little more verbal because it would be a shame if a couple goofballs influenced a bunch of other people to not trust CGC as well.

(thumbs u