• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC - Who's talking smack ?

131 posts in this topic

Out of all of the books I have submitted, I have only thought the grade was off a few times. A couple of the times they explained to me why..and I agreed with them. Another couple times they agreed..and actually bumped the grade up.

hm I'm not really sure what to think about that. I was under the impression that once the book is graded, that's its grade (shrug)

Gotta call BS on this here. Please explain this statement. This is exactly the sort of stuff I'm talking about.

You basically make it sound like you phoned them, complained and than they bumped up the grade.

(shrug)

I'd be surprised if this thread makes it to Monday. Wonder who those ex-employees were and what kind of positions they held?

Honestly, I think the guy that said this was blowing hot air trying to sound like a somebody in the know. He's also the one that stated he visited them in Sarasota and saw the facilities and that they were a joke.

Anyone here been there ? What are they like ? Are customers even allowed in there ?

Are there pics of the facilities ?

I've visited Sarasota. It's a fortress. They are talking out of their alternative oriface.

So today at The Vancouver Comic Show I heard some collectors talking about CGC so I thought I'd just stand by and listen a little.

One guy outright stated that CGC is a fraud. He said he heard you can call them up and request someone to grade your books, wink wink, bribe bribe.

Another guy stated he had spoken to ex-employees that said they (CGC) are a complete joke. He also stated he had been to Sarasota himself and "it isn't what you think it is down there". I think he was trying to imply that CGC is very Mickey Mouse.

Another guy stated he had a ASM 19 that he thought was a 9.0. He subbed it in and it came back a 7.5 so he resubbed it again and now it was a 8.5. I think people forget CGC is people and these grades are opinons so grades may vary a little. I took a look at it and it had a dust/sun shadow on the bc that I honestly am unsure how it should effect the gade.

Than some who seemed like he was lying started beaking off how some stuff might be a 6.0 one day and a 9.0 the other day. Maybe the guy grading is hung over :blahblah: This was the same genius that suggested CGC regularly accepts bribes.

They also discussed the ridiculous prices acheived by 9.8's that may be 9's on another day depending on the graders mood.

I've been pretty happy with CGC's grading for the most part and wanted to know if anyone had such jumps in grades on resubs w/o pressing.

I don't believe the bribe bs but perhaps CGC is softer ala Mound City collection. You bring us a load of SA,GA to grade we'll be a little looser on the grades.

Thoughts?

ps I like CGC so don't think I'm trying to bash'em (thumbs u

I'd just like to hear some peoples opinions on what they hear others saying - you know, the unfounded ridiculous stuff

It must have been a slow day in the conspiracy theorist world..

I have not submitted that many books to CGC, more than 30, less than 50. I have to say that while I have been disappointed in some grades (Moderns) that came back 9.6s :pullhair: (lol still great books) when I thought they would get 9.8s the grading does seem within the realms of consistency.

Just my 2c

Out of all of the books I have submitted, I have only thought the grade was off a few times. A couple of the times they explained to me why..and I agreed with them. Another couple times they agreed..and actually bumped the grade up.

hm I'm not really sure what to think about that. I was under the impression that once the book is graded, that's its grade (shrug)

Gotta call BS on this here. Please explain this statement. This is exactly the sort of stuff I'm talking about.

You basically make it sound like you phoned them, complained and than they bumped up the grade.

(shrug)

We'll let ivegotneatstuff answer this, but I think you guys might have jumped to the wrong conclusion here. I don't think he's necessarily saying that he knew about the grade before the book was returned to him (although you can easily do that on the CGC website if you're a Society member) and that he convinced them to change their mind before the slab was shipped to him. He's probably saying that once he got the slabs back and reviewed them, he resubmitted a few and got the grade bump after resubmission.

(shrug)

We'll let ivegotneatstuff answer this, but I think you guys might have jumped to the wrong conclusion here. I don't think he's necessarily saying that he knew about the grade before the book was returned to him (although you can easily do that on the CGC website if you're a Society member) and that he convinced them to change their mind before the slab was shipped to him. He's probably saying that once he got the slabs back and reviewed them, he resubmitted a few and got the grade bump after resubmission.

This most likely did happen. I had 4 Teen Titans #2's, 3 came back 9.8 and 1 9.6, well the 9.6 looked better than one of the 9.8's. I thought maybe thery mixed them up before slabbing so I called them up and they send to send them back and they would take another look.

Lo and behold they both came back to me as 9.8's

I've been there. It's not what anybody would/could call "mickey mouse". The guy that said that was talking out of his arse.

Ditto. I was there years ago when they were still in their old facility. I met and spoke to their head of security at the time. He was a former Police Detective from Jersey IIRC. They ran a tight ship.

(shrug)

Gawd.... I don't even think I should address this skepticism because of the potential can of worms it could open..but I will anyway.

No I didn't just phone them....... I brought the books in person and they were personally inspected with me and a couple other people who happened to be there..(including a well known customer I am sure you all know who coincidentally happened to be there at the same time) and kindly and professionally asked them in a very nice calm setting why it wasn't a higher grade...(I say this because I don't want all your board members to think I was mad or something and ranting and raving...I was speaking to them without emotion...like Spock! Anyway, I asked them to point out the specific defects for me which kept it from being a 9.9. I am in no way saying or implying it was just some phone call with me saying "hey..yo bump my grade!" and them saying "ahh what the hell..its Dave so why not"

it was a couple books ... meaning 2. (Admittedly, the books were modern junk (They were WILL TO POWER)...but I felt they should have been 9.9's...and they were graded 9.8's. I felt they were flawless....save small printing defects..but not flaws that would keep it out of the 9.9 category. After careful review and scrutinizing ... they agreed to take another closer look. I gave them 5 books which they had graded 9.8 - and if I remember correctly 2 of them came back in a 9.9 holder.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing an assigned grade with the CGC. They do make mistakes...get tired...etc. Imagine staring at comic books all day long 40 hours a week. I think many of you reading this have received a slabbed book with the wrong label on it for example.

Grading is really a matter of opinion...and I think they would agree that they will be the FIRST ones to fix something if they feel it is not reflective of the slabbed book or an oversight as every comic in a CGC holder out there represents their brand...and if the grades are off, it reflects on them. That goes for books that should have been graded lower AND higher.

Of course, this is all just my humble observation or opinion...

(including a well known customer I am sure you all know who coincidentally happened to be there at the same time)

That'll be Doug Schmell...and Doug's been 'talking up the grade' directly with CGC pretty much since inception.

Why do some people find this scenario so hard to believe? (shrug)

(including a well known customer I am sure you all know who coincidentally happened to be there at the same time)

That'll be Doug Schmell...and Doug's been 'talking up the grade' directly with CGC pretty much since inception.

I'm new and guilible :(

I'm new and guilible :(

lol

Yeah, fair play. We all were once, but if you've spent the last six-and-a-half years here, and seen the sort of stuff that's gone down, you'll find that your default setting is 'cynical' and you'll believe pretty much anything.

Case in point...

For some months, back in '04, I was telling the boards that CGC had their own in-house pressing and resto-removal service, operated by Chris Friesen, just down the hallway and the services were being offered to 'select' clientelle. I was pretty much laughed out of court.

That was until 2005, when CGC attempted to publicly launch their own in-house pressing and resto-removal service, operated by Chris Friesen, just down the hallway. doh!