• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC - Who's talking smack ?

131 posts in this topic

:slapfight:

If u can grade-cgc is your friend

if u dont know how to grade-cgc is your enemy.

^^

cgc is my friend !!!

Rather simplistic...and not necessarily true. How about those people who can grade but still have issues with how CGC does certain things? (shrug)

I didn't realized that this thread was full of conspiritors -

What this thread is full of is facts, proven and supported by testimony and evidence. PCS, Schmell, regrades...we've been here before and seen it all before.

This is simply history repeating itself.

by allowing any "joe schmoe" to sell a book on ebay and have others trust the grade they are saying it is because it has been professionally graded.

But who's to say that Joe Schmoe isn't getting ripped off due to undergrading, just like you did? hm

What this thread is full of is facts, proven and supported by testimony and evidence. PCS, Schmell, regrades...we've been here before and seen it all before.

Unfortunately for you, FACTS typed on a forum is mere hear-say. In order to support your claims, you may want to take pictures (before and after helps). You may also want to document your claims. Like the date and time you've had this "conversation". Along with any paperwork from CGC...like your submission form.

The overall claim that CGC treats books differently for "friends" is completely biost. The graders, alone, are independant, not some common JOE who's owned a comic book shop and sits behind the counter seven days a week.

CGC is much bigger than just a comic book grading company. Its entity is owned by NCG - The largest collector's society in the world. CGC is just a minor chapter of the company. There's no way, shape, or form that CGC would ruin its reputation on grades alone that would eventually cause the melt down of a bigger company.

So before you state your so-called "claim" provide facts, not based on what little old Tommy heard from Joe down in the comic book shop three weeks ago, but by simple evidence.

Unfortunately for you, FACTS typed on a forum is mere hear-say. In order to support your claims, you may want to take pictures (before and after helps). You may also want to document your claims. Like the date and time you've had this "conversation". Along with any paperwork from CGC...like your submission form.

The overall claim that CGC treats books differently for "friends" is completely biost. The graders, alone, are independant, not some common JOE who's owned a comic book shop and sits behind the counter seven days a week.

CGC is much bigger than just a comic book grading company. Its entity is owned by NCG - The largest collector's society in the world. CGC is just a minor chapter of the company. There's no way, shape, or form that CGC would ruin its reputation on grades alone that would eventually cause the melt down of a bigger company.

So before you state your so-called "claim" provide facts, not based on what little old Tommy heard from Joe down in the comic book shop three weeks ago, but by simple evidence.

Not to put words in Nick's mouth, but I think he is referring more to the DS JIM fiasco, PCS, and the Mound City soft grading as fact. I don't think he's stating that the assertion that CGC grades more softly for big customers is fact. :gossip:

The he needs to clarify things. If someone sold you a trimmed book without telling you, then buyer beware. If people are undergrading books, then you're lucky to have it at a much higher grade.

Sorry... you've lost me. :sorry:

What do your follow-up comments mean?

The he needs to clarify things. If someone sold you a trimmed book without telling you, then buyer beware. If people are undergrading books, then you're lucky to have it at a much higher grade.

Que Dice?

Not to put words in Nick's mouth, but I think he is referring more to the DS JIM fiasco, PCS, and the Mound City soft grading as fact. I don't think he's stating that the assertion that CGC grades more softly for big customers is fact. :gossip:

(thumbs u Correct.

I would just like to make a couple MORE comments... :frustrated:

I don't submit thousands of books a year...I think I said I have submitted two thousand total since I started. It is a complete guess - and could be significantly less... and I started about 4 years ago. I mention this because some people on these boards seem to think volume somehow increases or changes influence....and I personally have seen nothing like that at CGC....and if I did I would be the first one to point it out, as I feel we need this impartial jury in our hobby - and I think they have been great and I can't say I have met a CGC employee I didn't like or trust.

Anybody could have done what I did. If you had a few books in your hands graded 9.8 ... and they had absolutely no flaws...and you had CGC reps standing next to you...whether in Sarasota or at a comic book show or wherever - wouldn't you hand them to them and say "can you please show me the flaws on these books and tell me why they aren't 9.9s?"

If they couldn't find any flaws, wouldn't you then say to them "I would like to re-submit them?" ... and wouldn't then you no longer be "anonymous" according to what some are writing on this thread? The CGC is not a computer!..its made up of physically approachable humans!! What were they supposed to do....hold up their hands and say "Don't come any closer!!! Set the book down...and step away while we shield and avert our eyes!"???? Christ... I'm not Medusa, I'm a customer!

Whether they knew it was my book (or books) or not doesn't change my perception of what happened and the very professional and IMPARTIAL manner in which it was handled. I said it before and I feel it is a good analogy. It is like dealing with Vulcans! There is no emotion attached to the grading process - or favoratism shown toward who is handing the book to them. I could have been President Obama handing them a Spider-Man book he signed and they would say "Sorry...but unfortunately we didn't witness your signature .. can't put it in a Signature Series case unless you re-sign it in front of us"

In this case, the CGC took the books from my hand and looked at them closely and acknowledged that perhaps I might have a point. Anyone reading this could have done the same thing with the same CGC rep... The meeting didn't take place in Studio 54's VIP room! (OK - I acknowledge I happened to live in Sarasota at the time..but you could do it at any show they were set up at too....just trying to make a point here.) They took another look at the books! - not the customer!!. The books deserved to be in a 9.9 case - as they were 9.9 books! The graded books represent their brand! If a book is graded with a grade that doesn't belong on the case, it is in the CGC's interest to have another look at the book and I think they would be the first ones to tell you that. That adds value and integrity to their brand. I think ANY company who grades tons of books is BOUND to make a few debatable grading decisions....I just happened - out of the laws of chaos - to be the recipient of a couple of those far end of the bell curve books and called them on it.

P.S. I have written to the person I sold these to for scans...so I can show you exactly what I am talking about. Now I want them back!