• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Chipping - Is there any issue worse than AF15?

33 posts in this topic

While perusing the AF15 club thread, one cannot help but notice the high number of copies with marvel chipping.

Is there any other single issue of any series that compares, or am I just being jaded because we have a thread dedicated to a single issue of a comic book?

You stole my thoughts. :sumo::baiting:

Here's what I was thinking about for a poll:

Top ten SA books noted for chipping? (anyone know how to poll?)

1) AF 15

2)ASM 1 -per my wife

3)FF 1

4)Hulk 1

5)FF 4

6)ASM 2

7)X-Men 1

8)FF2

9)DD 1

10)Avengers 4

Is my order correct?

Seems spot on, I might put Hulk 1 above ASM 1 though.

I've seen too many marvels over the years with chipping. Even before the Fantastic Four came out. Just the nature of the paper they used.

Add Amazing Adult Fantasy #14 to the list. I seen lots of them with chips. Thats the issue right before Amazing Fantasy #15.

The question I would like to know is when did they start using this bad paper and when did they stop? Anyone have any info?

I don't think it was them being lazy, it was them cutting costs.

From the way I understand it money was tight for Timely/Marvel.

DC seemed to have a much larger budget up until the early 1960's as their books seemed to be made from better paper, use better inks and nicer quality machinery.

Spidey #1 was a bloodbath on the printer !

It just makes sense the more copies produced, the higher the liklihood that chipping would occur more often. And the more copies produced, the duller the cutter.

I've seen more Spidey 1s chipped than any key book. :blahblah: