• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How important is the grade on a CGC SS book?

68 posts in this topic

I think Delvie put it best..... :applause:

Alot of times the difference in the quality of the book between a 9.6 and 9.8 is so small (where sometimes I've seen 9.6s that are better than books that are graded 9.8) but the price difference when picking it up depending on the book and the signature can be huge up to a couple hundred dollars......me i rather save my money and use it to buy another book. 2c

Hello all! New to the forums....Glad to be here! :grin:

For me, a thor #337 @ a 9.2,signed by Simonson is WAYYYY cooler than a 9.8 Universal grade. :headbang:

Another case: Silver Surfer #4 signed by Stan Lee &/or Buscema @ a 5.5 is also WAYYYY cooler than a 9.4 Universal. :headbang:

Proper sig placement is a factor, as well as other variables. On the other side of the scale, for me, a sig on a 2.0 or a 3.0 does not beat out a Universal 8.0 or higher. :makepoint: Of course we would all love that 9.8 Signature series label, but if i had to pick one over the other, Signature over Grade: Generally speaking. (thumbs u

Another case: Silver Surfer #4 signed by Stan Lee &/or Buscema @ a 5.5 is also WAYYYY cooler than a 9.4 Universal. :headbang:

(thumbs u

Alas, there is no such thing as a John Buscema Signature Series book as he died in 2002.

As long as we're on the subject, here's another example of a book that if it were a 9.8 would draw plenty of attention, but as a 9.2 ( :censored: stain on the back cover) , it probably only gets polite applause.

marv_proj_blank_ss92_htd.jpg

This is an awesome sketch. A Howard the Duck fan would flip over this. Heck I'm not much of a HtD fan, but just the fact that it's a cool sketch by a relevant artist to the character makes me interested in it. I've never seen this one. Great book!

As long as we're on the subject, here's another example of a book that if it were a 9.8 would draw plenty of attention, but as a 9.2 ( :censored: stain on the back cover) , it probably only gets polite applause.

marv_proj_blank_ss92_htd.jpg

This is an awesome sketch. A Howard the Duck fan would flip over this. Heck I'm not much of a HtD fan, but just the fact that it's a cool sketch by a relevant artist to the character makes me interested in it. I've never seen this one. Great book!

:takeit:

OMG! Yes!!

Gentlemen, this beats a 9.4 Universal ANYDAY! (worship)

I realize you're just trying to make a point, but that's crazy talk.

A 9.4 universal is a $1600 book - a 4.5 SS copy is a $200 book. If you're talking 6.0 blue labels vs 4.5 yellow labels, sure - but giving up a NM copy of a classic book for a VG+ signed copy? Nooooo ...

I gotta say "+1" to that. I love sigs and i especially love vintage sigs, but no way a 4.0-6.0 SS book trumps a 9.4. I have always thought the perfect sweet spot for SS on Silver Age books is 8.0-9.0. Not UHG, but a really beautiful copy nonetheless.

that looks nice! how big was that book to start with? seems like a pretty large image!

Oh, no, it's really not that big - it was on a Secret Invasion #1 (it's just pretty detailed). Here's the wall in my office where it's hanging:

office-sketches.jpg

Is that a Moebius in the upper left corner?