• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How important is the grade on a CGC SS book?

68 posts in this topic

that looks nice! how big was that book to start with? seems like a pretty large image!

Oh, no, it's really not that big - it was on a Secret Invasion #1 (it's just pretty detailed). Here's the wall in my office where it's hanging:

office-sketches.jpg

Is that a Moebius in the upper left corner?

It's actually a Moebius/Geoff Darrow collaboration ...

that looks nice! how big was that book to start with? seems like a pretty large image!

Oh, no, it's really not that big - it was on a Secret Invasion #1 (it's just pretty detailed). Here's the wall in my office where it's hanging:

office-sketches.jpg

Is that a Moebius in the upper left corner?

It's actually a Moebius/Geoff Darrow collaboration ...

:applause:

Mschmidt; Seanfingh:

First let me say that it's wonderful to discuss comics with you guys! :grin:

Here's my point: I realize that a Silver Surfer #4, 9.4, will always list for more on the market than the 4.5 Sig. But who's buying @ that ridiculous price of $1600? Apparently not many. An eBay completed search for Feb shows the highest closed Surfer #4 @ 8.5 closing @ $405 with a signed 2.0 closing @ $120. Not that big a gap in price when comparing the grades.

The sig on the 4.5 is rare, the universal 9.4 is not. The census indicates that there are 72 Universal's @ 9.4's out there right now with not one of them signed. There are 36 Universal's @ 4.5 with only 2 signed. The numbers alone show that the 9.4 universal is far easier to obtain than the 4.5 sig. On eBay right now there are 14 issues graded higher than the 4.5 and only one of them signed: @ a 5.5.

So basically, if i went to a buddy's house and saw his Surfer #4 high grade, if, i wanted one, i could easily obtain it. But if he had one signed by Stan & Buscema, even @ a low grade, i'd have a hell of a time finding one. Simple mathematics gentlemen: if something is easy to obtain, it cannot be more valuable than the item that is harder to obtain. Only seller's believe the opposite. Again, this is why i feel the sig is more important than the grade. I'm a buyer. A collector. And you collect what is rare....not what is easily obtained. Sure i have a bunch of common books, but when i sit down with that glass of Pinot Noir on a Sunday evening, those rare sigs are what get my full attention. And again, this is my opinion and how i purchase. Everyone is entitled to their own....just a friendly discussion. (thumbs u

It's a signed & sketched one of a kind item. Until i see a 9.6 or above on the same book, with the same sketch, by the same artist, yours is KING! :cloud9:

And even if a 9.8 comes along yours is still an original classic cause there won't be many out there. :applause:

Here's my point: I realize that a Silver Surfer #4, 9.4, will always list for more on the market than the 4.5 Sig. But who's buying @ that ridiculous price of $1600? Apparently not many. An eBay completed search for Feb shows the highest closed Surfer #4 @ 8.5 closing @ $405 with a signed 2.0 closing @ $120. Not that big a gap in price when comparing the grades.,

$1,600 isn't a ridiculous price for this book in 9.4 - there were 4 sales in 2009 with an average price of $1,666 and 10 sales in 2008 with an average price of $1,651.

There is, however, a huge gap between 9.4 and 8.5 prices - which is pretty common with SA books - and you can't really compare the two.

The sig on the 4.5 is rare, the universal 9.4 is not. The census indicates that there are 72 Universal's @ 9.4's out there right now with not one of them signed. There are 36 Universal's @ 4.5 with only 2 signed. The numbers alone show that the 9.4 universal is far easier to obtain than the 4.5 sig. On eBay right now there are 14 issues graded higher than the 4.5 and only one of them signed: @ a 5.5.

It isn't, though - HG silver age books are relatively rare, mid- and low-grade silver age books aren't. And this is definitely not a knock against SS books of which I own plenty myself - but Stan Lee is a pretty easy person to get a signature from. There are tons of signing opportunities with him each & every year. Which is why the market (buyers & sellers alike) doesn't put a huge premium on his signature.

Don't get me wrong - SS books in general pretty much always command some sort of premium - but the huge premium that you're inferring to, well, it just doesn't exist in real life.

So basically, if i went to a buddy's house and saw his Surfer #4 high grade, if, i wanted one, i could easily obtain it. But if he had one signed by Stan & Buscema, even @ a low grade, i'd have a hell of a time finding one. Simple mathematics gentlemen: if something is easy to obtain, it cannot be more valuable than the item that is harder to obtain. Only seller's believe the opposite.

Considering that buyers aren't paying more for a CGC 4.5 SS copy than a CGC 9.4 universal copy I'd say it's both buyers and sellers who don't believe this.