• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Van Helsing trailer

27 posts in this topic

Marvel did a Rachel Van Helsing character ion TOD...but I don't think they ever did Van Helsing,...probably couldn't get the rights.... link .... he was a charecter in Bram Stoker's Dracula...

It looked alright. What's the background on Van Helsing the character? I swear I've heard that name before...

shocked.gif He's Dracula's arch-nemesis. He was a major player in the comics....

Jim

Did he appear in TOD?

Is that just in comics or in the Dracula books? I definately haven't heard of him from comics.

Not sure of the book but he was a major factor in the Dracula Hammer movies. Played by Peter Cushing......also known for playing Grand Moff Tarkin in Star Wars.

Jim

It looked alright. What's the background on Van Helsing the character? I swear I've heard that name before...

shocked.gif He's Dracula's arch-nemesis. He was a major player in the comics....

Jim

Did he appear in TOD?

Yep...Rachel took over from him but he was shown in flashbacks early in the run.

Jim

I love horror, but the Van Helsing trailer reminds me of "League of Ordinary Gentlemen"--a bunch of licensed names in an action movie disguised as horror. It did look cool, and I might see it if I'm really bored one weekend.

But c'mon--Frankie, Drac, and Wolfman...my understanding is Van Helsing was just a vampire hunter hell bent on dealing the fatal blow to Drac.

Wasn't he the older man with the grey beard in the comics?

I believe that was Harker. The Rachael Van Helsing character was the grand daughter of the Van Helsing from the Dracula books. The Van Helsing character may have made an appearance in Dracula Lives as there was an adaption of the Dracula novel in it I think.

Wasn't he the older man with the grey beard in the comics?

I believe that was Harker. The Rachael Van Helsing character was the grand daughter of the Van Helsing from the Dracula books. The Van Helsing character may have made an appearance in Dracula Lives as there was an adaption of the Dracula novel in it I think.

Yes...just checked the book and record set. It''s Quincy Harker, a long time friend of the Van Helsing family.

What's the background on Van Helsing the character? I swear I've heard that name before...

Dr. Abraham van Helsing was one of the main characters in Bram Stoker's original Dracula novel and was also a main character in the 1931 Dracula film by Universal. I believe Peter Cushing played him in one or more of the Dracula movies by Hammer Films. He is a Dutch vampire expert/hunter (from the University of Leiden in the Netherlands according to the 1931 film; don't remember if that was part of Stoker's original novel or not).

Marvel created a Rachel van Helsing character (a descendant) for the Tomb of Dracula series and Warren created the father and son team of Professor Conrad and Adam van Helsing for its Vampirella series. Marvel also created a Quincy Harker character for ToD, who must be a descendant of Jonathan Harker from the Dracula novel (the character Keanu Reeves played in Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula movie).

Gene the Vampire Slayer

nice summary, you saved me some time. wish i could remember the name of the dude who played van helsing in the universal role in 1931. i've got it on laser disc but it's late.

and of course only peter cushing who played against christopher lee in just about every major hammer horror film COULD have been van helsing......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif