• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pretty books for GROUNDHOG DAY

17 posts in this topic

i thought that we needed something a bit QUIRKY in honor of one of the strangest american holidays. issues # 1-2-3 of ogden whitney's Herbie - the fat fury.......

i think Punksatawney Phil would enjoy reading these grin.gif

as always, purchased by yours truly off the rack almost 40 years ago to the day.

1074588876062_herbies.jpg

1075310931555_herbies_001.jpg

1074396125865_herbies_003.jpg

actually his "powers" were ill-defined. he could walk on air, change himself into other things, breathe underwater, travel thru time, etc. he first appeared way back in forbidden worlds # 73 which should have been around 1959-60 or so. definitely an aquired taste............ crazy.gif

BTW these 3 issues in 9.0 grade would guide for around $350..........

i actually went through a couple to try and recall what Herbie could do. my sense is that they would be perceived to be light fantasy tales. things seemed to be pretty open insofar as what herbie was or could do. the one KEY ingredient was his 27_laughing.giflipops. he had tons of them and a special supply under lock and key to include time travel pops.

the very first story starts out with what was a typical story byline with Herbies dad ranting about what a fat loser his son was. then herbie just goes out to pay a visit to LBJ and ladybird at the whitehouse. next thing you know he's our ambassador of somesort to russia and is dancing for nikita khrushchev. all very tongue-in-cheek.

you REALLY had to suspend belief for these puppies........ unlike the far more realistic stuff like getting bit by radioactive spiders or blasted with cosmic/gamma rays.............. grin.gif