• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

new DD question

15 posts in this topic

The end page. all those guys in hte shadows....just a gang of bad guys, or is it the Hand?

I sorta enjoyed the scene with Doc Strange, Cage, Peter, and Reed, but I don't think I like Maleev. I like the darker, noir effect, but the art doesn't seem too clear.

I think Maleev intentionally left the "gang" ambiguous so that the reader isn't sure what DD is up against. This adds suspense leading up to the next issue. I thought it was a great cliffhanger ending. I can't wait for the next issue.

Isn't it going to be easy for everyone to figure out Matt is Daredevil since Matt now has a goatee? Would be a dead giveaway when he puts on the costume, wouldn't it? Hopefully, he remembers to shave before doning the red tights again.

To me, I think Maleev is perfect for Bendis' Daredevil. Quesada isn't suited for the type of stories that Bendis is trying to tell. It's not gritty or noir enough. I do wish that Maleev would bring a little bit more clarity to his art, the faces in the "intervention" were cryptic for example, but overall I think he's great for the title.

I would settle for Frank Miller style of art.

settle??!! sheesh!! I'd LOVE it!

What I was trying to say is that Maleev's art is dark and so is FMs. However, FMs art has clarity. My point is you can make the art dark, but still have clarity where you can make out the features on a characters face, body, and surrounding landscape. I don't like shadowy art. To me it is pure laziness.

I would settle for Frank Miller style of art.

settle??!! sheesh!! I'd LOVE it!

What I was trying to say is that Maleev's art is dark and so is FMs. However, FMs art has clarity. My point is you can make the art dark, but still have clarity where you can make out the features on a characters face, body, and surrounding landscape. I don't like shadowy art. To me it is pure laziness.

I wouldn't call Maleev lazy. It's definitely an intentional style. I don't think he's doing it to hide anything based on his limitations as an artist. He's doing it because he and Bendis are going for a gritty noir thing. I too wish he was be a little clearer, but I definitely wouldn't call him lazy.

I too wish he was be a little clearer, but I definitely wouldn't call him lazy.

I think the better word for Maleev would be dis-interested. I met him in Philly last year, and I was really excited that he would be there. I had just started reading the new DD title, and really loved the look he brought to the book. When I met him, he seemed like he didn't even care about the book, or that I liked it. He didn't seem to be enjoying himself at the show. His art has gotten sloppy since then. i think he does it for a paycheck. frown.gif

Too bad to. He is very talented.

Chris

I know I'm in the minority, but I never really cared for Miller's DD art. It always seemed a little clunky, a little dull. And yet I'm a fan of Maleev's work--I like the scratchiness of it, the odd texturing, the gritty street scenes.

I agree that Miller's art is far from a thing of aesthetic beauty - heck, I wouldn't want to date Elektra if she looked like the way Miller drew her (especially not the way he drew her in Elektra Lives Again in that bizarre Dark Knight style)! However, I thought his style lent itself to very efficient and effective storytelling. In other words, I thought it was excellent artwork for the comic book medium, but, on a standalone basis, I don't think his artwork was anything to write home about.

Gene

I know I'm in the minority, but I never really cared for Miller's DD art. It always seemed a little clunky, a little dull. And yet I'm a fan of Maleev's work--I like the scratchiness of it, the odd texturing, the gritty street scenes.

I not saying Miller's art is awesome and should be the standard of all comics. I am just saying Miller's art works better with story telling because of its clarity than Maleev's shadowy art IMHO.