• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mid-grade BA horror reports?

21 posts in this topic

Hey guys, some of you may remember me as I was a big poster here years back. Still think the comics are cool but the collecting bug withdrew it's venom and left me years ago. I had sold most of my high grade stuff but I sit on box after box of the mid-grade DC horror as well as the big Marvel titles TOD and WBN, for example.

I noticed today in the new CBG in Auction Trends that it states" Mid-range horror, science-fiction and war titles also were among those showing surprising strength". Just wondering if it is worth my time to get back into selling. Not too concerned with selling comics that will net me a couple dollars, but if this stuff has really picked up it may be worth my while.

So.... since I have been out of it for a while, what BA horror is hot now, anything newly becoming hot, anything to note? I've just been out of it so long that any info about current trends and so on may be helpful. Thanks.

Hey guys, some of you may remember me as I was a big poster here years back. Still think the comics are cool but the collecting bug withdrew it's venom and left me years ago. I had sold most of my high grade stuff but I sit on box after box of the mid-grade DC horror as well as the big Marvel titles TOD and WBN, for example.

I noticed today in the new CBG in Auction Trends that it states" Mid-range horror, science-fiction and war titles also were among those showing surprising strength". Just wondering if it is worth my time to get back into selling. Not too concerned with selling comics that will net me a couple dollars, but if this stuff has really picked up it may be worth my while.

So.... since I have been out of it for a while, what BA horror is hot now, anything newly becoming hot, anything to note? I've just been out of it so long that any info about current trends and so on may be helpful. Thanks.

Showcase 22

Green Lantern 7 have been hot while a new mutants 98 cgc 9,9 went for over $12,000 a few months back. also bone 1 cgc 9.8 sold for over $5000.

hope that helps, I am sure others can chime in.

Thanks for the reply, but I guess to narrow it down I am more interested in how the BA horror issues are doing, mainly DC and the more well known Marvel titles. Especially the mid-grade copies. When I get back into selling I'm not sure if it is worth it to sell individually or in small lots. I remember how much people were clammoring for the super high grade issues, but according to the CBG reports even the mid-grades are doing well these days. I guess I can just scan the closed listings in Ebay for some pricing info.

I am always looking for DC Horror. I have the "bug" for high grade stuff (I am sure that will be taken out of context), but I am filling holes in my runs of HOM, HOS, Witching Hour, Ghost, ect, ect. If you are thinking of selling as a lot, shoot me a PM.

Thanks.

Gust

Hey Sid, if you ever want to sell off your Huerta books lemme know (thumbs u

[

Hey Sid, if you ever want to sell off your Huerta books lemme know (thumbs u

Klozd, yeah you bring up the one genre that I like more than BA horror. Unfortunately most of all that is gone. Sold pretty well a few years back. I only have a few left that I bought not too long ago from guys that are selling a couple issues off on Ebay. The days of finding nice large lots of these is long gone.

I sold off my DC horror collection three years ago (about 125 book, average raw grades between 8.5 and 9.0) and did well on them... better than I think I would do now. Prices have really cooled off.

It seems that unless it's a slabbed 9.4 (or 9.0 and better on some of the more elusive and classic issues) it's not going to see a lot of play.

My favorite genre - BA DC war - is showing strength in the 1968-1973 time period. But again, they have to be tightly graded 15 centers or 25 cent 48/52 pagers in 8.5 and better to be getting any action. A great seller like bobcatenterprises on ebay, for example, has been getting $50-$100 on some of those books, even in 'just' 8.5 to 9.0, in recent weeks.

As for true midgrade (5.5-7.0) I think there is a market for those books, but people want them cheaply. $7-$12 bucks, unless it's something like HOM 82.

Shep

I am always looking for DC Horror. I have the "bug" for high grade stuff (I am sure that will be taken out of context),

No, it won't

but I am filling holes in my runs of HOM, HOS, Witching Hour, Ghost, ect, ect.

But that will :devil:

I sold off my DC horror collection three years ago (about 125 book, average raw grades between 8.5 and 9.0) and did well on them... better than I think I would do now. Prices have really cooled off.

It seems that unless it's a slabbed 9.4 (or 9.0 and better on some of the more elusive and classic issues) it's not going to see a lot of play.

My favorite genre - BA DC war - is showing strength in the 1968-1973 time period. But again, they have to be tightly graded 15 centers or 25 cent 48/52 pagers in 8.5 and better to be getting any action. A great seller like bobcatenterprises on ebay, for example, has been getting $50-$100 on some of those books, even in 'just' 8.5 to 9.0, in recent weeks.

As for true midgrade (5.5-7.0) I think there is a market for those books, but people want them cheaply. $7-$12 bucks, unless it's something like HOM 82.

Shep

Thanks, that was the kind of info I was looking for.

I still find the market for 9.4 and better copies of marvel Bronze horror still strong. Not as strong as it was 3 years ago but enough interest to keep the prices close to the 2 year average.

I am always looking for DC Horror. I have the "bug" for high grade stuff (I am sure that will be taken out of context),

No, it won't

but I am filling holes in my runs of HOM, HOS, Witching Hour, Ghost, ect, ect.

But that will :devil:

Hehehehe.

I sold some sharp Marvel, Fawcetts and a couple of DCs here a few months ago and was happy with the results. Only a couple were slab worthy potentially in the 9.4 - 9.6 range, the rest were mainly solid 9.0 - 9.2, some 8.5 type books. Oh sure, they were almost all discounted off guide, I can't justify charging anywhere near 9.2 or higher prices unless I absolutely think the book is 9.4 or better), but I was happy with the reaction here. What that means in terms of ebay, I have no friggin idea. Only a couple of my leftovers from here have sold in my store over there, but then again, I was cherry picked over here so that doesn't really surprise me.

I think when you see a CGB report like that, if there's any truth to it, it's probably that the reporters are happy to be moving some books at $2-$3 pop that had been gathering dust. Of course, in guide a lot of these books aren't really even more than $5-$7 a pop in solid fine, so $2-$3 each doesn't sound too bad.

Since I've always been what I coonider to be a "value collector" (similar to someone that looks for undervalued stocks) I find you really get alot for your dollar in the 8.0 - 9.0 range. You are still buying a very nice book, with only minor flaws, and often the differences between an 8.5 and a 9.4 that can cost 10-20 times more are only visable when looking closely. Whether I sell my books in this range or buy more, for me, it's a killer deal when you consider getting your money's worth. Long live upper VF range books!

Yo Sid...how's it going man?

High grade horror is softening because:

1. More books are coming to market. I'm falling over 9.8 copies now which make my 9.4 and 9.6 copies look like turds.

2. High grade collectors aren't there or not as aggressive. Years ago I had to bid strong bids to get the books...now not so much.

BA Horror is still relatively strong for books I need...but no one seems to be paying attention to what I need or if they are assuming I'm going to pay 2005 prices for them. The only possible exception to this is HOM 190 and 205.

I'm planning on obtaining VG books of high grade books I collect for reading and scanning purposes. I have a project to digitize as many of the bronze age books as I can. It's a much cheaper (and fun) way to enjoy my little corner of the hobby.

I agree; I see Bronze Horror as softening quite a bit, so I'd expect mid-grades to be relatively weak as well. Probably only a couple of bucks each, tops.

Anyone willing to sell me DC bronze horror in mid-grades for $2 each...you have a buyer. :)

Yo Sid...how's it going man?

High grade horror is softening because:

1. More books are coming to market. I'm falling over 9.8 copies now which make my 9.4 and 9.6 copies look like turds.

2. High grade collectors aren't there or not as aggressive. Years ago I had to bid strong bids to get the books...now not so much.

BA Horror is still relatively strong for books I need...but no one seems to be paying attention to what I need or if they are assuming I'm going to pay 2005 prices for them. The only possible exception to this is HOM 190 and 205.

I'm planning on obtaining VG books of high grade books I collect for reading and scanning purposes. I have a project to digitize as many of the bronze age books as I can. It's a much cheaper (and fun) way to enjoy my little corner of the hobby.

Hey Sterl, I'm still paying a little bit of attention to the market for these books, but the passion was lost and hasn't returned yet. I still love these books though. Have fun collecting the rest of the books you need as this is definitely a very interesting little corner of the hobby.