• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Byrne vs. George Perez

69 posts in this topic

I always liked Byrne on the X-Men & FF, and his early Doomsday +1 title, not so much on his Superman reboot..

But I always thought his best work was on Marvel Team-Up...those self-contained one issue stories with Claremont were some of the most enjoyable books of my kidhood!

When I think of both artists I think of what runs they produced...Byrnes are obvious and have been said here so I wont repeat them, but what great runs did Perez have? I know of Crisis of Infinite Earths, but what others that were that great? Due to this, i give the edge to Byrne just for the XM run alone.

I think Perez has always stood out from the pack. With Byrne, as much as I love his work, most of his characters have close to the same face whether it was Fantastic Four, Avengers, or Uncanny X-Men. That is, unless the character had some distinguishing features which Byrne could not force into his standard mold.

Just take a look at Next Men from the 90s and you feel with most of the faces you are looking at characters he did in his Fantastic Four run.

But both are amazing - Perez is just slightly more diverse in his character development, IMHO.

Oh man, just wait until you see the commission piece that George is finishing up for me right now....the guy just keeps getting better and better,

It's been in the works for about a year, working around his actual deadlines, but when George says a piece is finished it's perfect.

Louise Simonson.

You are hereby barred from making any further posts in this thread.

Drat.

Still, Louise Simonson can...and has...taken both of those two out.

You don't mess with the Weezie.

:luhv:

You are a menace & must be stopped. :preach:

Louise Simonson.

Drat.

You failed.

When I think of both artists I think of what runs they produced...Byrnes are obvious and have been said here so I wont repeat them, but what great runs did Perez have? I know of Crisis of Infinite Earths, but what others that were that great? Due to this, i give the edge to Byrne just for the XM run alone.

He did the majority of the classic Avengers run from 141 - 202, as well as Avengers vol.3

1 - 34.

He did most of the New Teen Titans run, the late 80s reboot of Wonder Woman, brief runs on JLA, Fantastic Four,and Action Comics, to name a few. :gossip:

Louise Simonson.

Drat.

I think you're safe.

I'm not allowed to post in this thread, remember?