• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

250 posts in this topic

I can relate. Cameron was able to secure my emotional investment in Titanic and did it again with Avatar. I judge this type of movie by the number of "explosive warm tinglies" it gives me. Avator bombarded me with  5 "explosive warm tinglies". I had to smoke a cigarette after I left the theatre.... :headbang: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...and change your pants, it sounds like.

Am I the only one who thought the story was so-so. The graphics and special effects were amazingly great and worth the price of admission but the story - m'eh.

When I walked out of the theatre I turned to the person I went with and said I bet in 10 years people will have forgotten about Avatar when the graphics and special effects in the movie are common place and the story does not hold up. It's no Ben Hur where the story held up long after the special effects became common.

No, you are not the only one.

I bet it's more like two years.

I've said it before...Who Framed Roger Rabitt. Unbelievable acclaim at the time. Weak story.

Nearly forgotten now, as evidenced by the blank stares I get from people when I make the comparision.

by biggest test for a movie is did it hold my interest all the way through? or was I thinking about dinner, or worrk, or the laundry more than once?

AVATAR more than passed the test for me. The graphics were amazing and enjoyable to watch and while most of us can predict the plotline here, so what? Who didnt know how ITANIC was going to end? And this was never designed to be a keyser Soze type mystery ,, was it?

I agree...I went to get entertained, and it fit the bill nicely. I guess I'm not as suffishtikated as alls yous comic types. lol

I've said it before...Who Framed Roger Rabitt. Unbelievable acclaim at the time. Weak story. Nearly forgotten now, as evidenced by the blank stares I get from people when I make the comparision.

No, the blank stares are the visions of seeing the twins animated. lol

RogerRabbit001.jpg

It's no Ben Hur where the story held up long after the special effects became common.

If Ben Hur were made today, the chariot race and probably much of the movie backgrounds would be all CGI. :(

Am I the only one who thought the story was so-so. The graphics and special effects were amazingly great and worth the price of admission but the story - m'eh.

When I walked out of the theatre I turned to the person I went with and said I bet in 10 years people will have forgotten about Avatar when the graphics and special effects in the movie are common place and the story does not hold up. It's no Ben Hur where the story held up long after the special effects became common.

I've said it before...Who Framed Roger Rabitt. Unbelievable acclaim at the time. Weak story.

Nearly forgotten now, as evidenced by the blank stares I get from people when I make the comparision.

Roger Rabbit was critically aclaimed but it did not do terrific at the box office. Avatar on the other hand will be the highest grossing worldwide film of all time in a couple of days. It is kinda hard to forget a film like this that has made this much money.

I remember Roger Rabbit. It was ground breaking at the time.

It'll be even less than two years because tech advances are moving at lightening speed, but that's not really the point.

The movie is gaining momentum because it's worth watching, regardless of the reason why it's worth watching.

I mean, there really is no "new" story under the sun, is there? Everything is just a rehash of something else.

I never did see Pocahontas so I thought this flick was great entertainment.

WOW .....might be the best movie I've ever seen. We finally caught the Imax 3-D version and 5 weeks out the theatre was still half full....and on NFC Championship Sunday at that. It reminded me of the effect Star Wars had on me way back in '77. I'm sure a thread already existed but I couldn't find it. GOD BLESS...

Jimbo,

I agree that the 3D effects were worth the price of admission, but I would hardly rank this one up as one of the best movies ever: story has been done before, good special effects, but nothing ground breaking (Spielberg's "War of the Worlds" got a round of applause at the end in the theater, Avatar didn't get one person clapping). (shrug)

However, the 3D filming was what really grabbed me. (thumbs u

2001, Dr. Strangelove, Apocalypse Now, Godfather, Star Wars, ect., don't have mush to fear from this movie.

WOW .....might be the best movie I've ever seen. We finally caught the Imax 3-D version and 5 weeks out the theatre was still half full....and on NFC Championship Sunday at that. It reminded me of the effect Star Wars had on me way back in '77. I'm sure a thread already existed but I couldn't find it. GOD BLESS...

Jimbo,

I agree that the 3D effects were worth the price of admission, but I would hardly rank this one up as one of the best movies ever: story has been done before, good special effects, but nothing ground breaking (Spielberg's "War of the Worlds" got a round of applause at the end in the theater, Avatar didn't get one person clapping). (shrug)

However, the 3D filming was what really grabbed me. (thumbs u

2001, Dr. Strangelove :cloud9: , Apocalypse Now, Godfather, Star Wars, ect., don't have mush to fear from this movie.

haven't been yet..........hope to see it this coming weekend

Sure, the movie was visually entertaining, but it isn't the greatest movie ever as some people say it is.

Watch "The Hurt Locker" if you want to see a good movie.

Hopefully the Academy Awards voting will be far enough away from the "Avatar" premier that they can objectively look at the best picture race. ("Avatar" can have all of the special effects oscars.)