• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my SLABBED ASM #129

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I see people come on here all the time asking for others to grade their books off of big scans. I have never done this before. If I need someone to grade it for me it will be CGC. Other than them, I feel pretty comfortable in grading my own books. However, I really am in disagreement on this ASM #129. This copy was graded at 7.5 white. Looks to me like a 9.0 or a 9.2. I received another slabbed ASM #129 9.2 and this one looks just as good. Both were from the dealer Bettyswalls/calm-mix and as most of you know he sells very nice clean unread books, some with distributor ink stains. This one has no stains and is a beautiful book. Almost no signs of wear outside of very minor light creases on one corner. Could there be a problem in the interior? That I do not know. If there was it would not be from wear but from some kind of printing error. Anyway, please check this book out and "grade" it for me. I posted five supersized scans so you should be able to get a pretty good idea. Thanks-----Sid

P.S. Although this item is currently for sale, the point of this post is not as a solicitation. However, due to the 7.5 grade it will probably sell for less that what I believe the value really is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2222548137&category=33819&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1

I just got back three from the same batch as yours it looks,...2 @8.0 and 1 @9.0....I can't see why they are graded so low either....here's an 8.0 I have up for sale now... ASM4.jpgasm1.jpgasm3.jpg

They must really be down grading for the distributes ink cause there is nothing else wrong wit this book....

However, due to the 7.5 grade it will probably sell for less that what I believe the value really is.

You realize that this statement makes no sense, right?

The only reason these issues have a Guide multiple attached is not due to quality or aesthetics, but the presence of a Big Number label. The book could be mis-cut, have 1/2" of white border or angled so bad you get dizzy looking at it...

As long as it's got that CGC 9.X number, regardless of what you or anyone else would grade it.

However, due to the 7.5 grade it will probably sell for less that what I believe the value really is.

You realize that this statement makes no sense, right?

The only reason these issues have a Guide multiple attached is not due to quality or aesthetics, but the presence of a Big Number label. The book could be mis-cut, have 1/2" of white border or angled so bad you get dizzy looking at it...

As long as it's got that CGC 9.X number, regardless of what you or anyone else would grade it.

Very true, however, since this book does not have a lower 9.X number, which I think it deserves, the value is considerably less. My copy does not even have any of that distributor ink. The above copies only have a very minor case of it. I dunno, these CGC guys..... Well, take it or leave it ya' know. -----Sid

Very true, however, since this book does not have a lower 9.X number, which I think it deserves, the value is considerably less.

Mine was a philosophical statement, as in "what is a 9.X anyway?".

What CGC says it is, nothing more and nothing less.

Not that CGC is infallible , but I can tell you 90% of the time when you get a grade like that on a book that looks great there is a crease that does not break color and is only visible when you hold it at an angle to a light source. It is hard to tell anything from your scans but if you really felt it was that far off, why did you not re-submit? I can see the creases you are talking about and two of them look 1 to 2 inches in length - if that is the case and it continues through the book then that is where the 7.5 came from.

Tomega

easiest way to find out why it got a 7.5 is to call for graders notes. i think that on a few of the books i disagreed with (including my ASM 129) it made me aware of a flaw or the significance of a flaw that i either missed or didnt think was too big of a deal. either way they always answer all questions happily. give it a shot!

it sure looks better than a 7.5 on the surface. guess those creases along the lower right that you referenced are a bit bigger than one can see from the scan.

rocket; not sure what they downgrade for on distributors ink, but your copy has enough to make it somewhat less appealing.

still; they both look pretty damn good to me!!!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not that CGC is infallible , but I can tell you 90% of the time when you get a grade like that on a book that looks great there is a crease that does not break color and is only visible when you hold it at an angle to a light source. It is hard to tell anything from your scans but if you really felt it was that far off, why did you not re-submit? I can see the creases you are talking about and two of them look 1 to 2 inches in length - if that is the case and it continues through the book then that is where the 7.5 came from.

Tomega

Yeah, calling them to get the notes would be a good idea. I would call now but they are closed. I'll call tomorrow if I remember. I am very aware of the comments made above and I am not naive enough to miss rusted staples or a crease going all the way through the book. Staples look brand new and centered perfectly. Creases appear to be on the cover only. Not really creases as if they were folded, just light crease marks, no color broken, no folds. Held under the light at an angle and no blemishes. Very small mini-crease upper right corner of cover. Book looks 9.0 to 9.2. I have seen 9.4s that look worse.

Why do I not send it back? I already spent $49 (minus discount) for the slab and wanna sell it while Punisher-mania is still hot. I'll just take the hit. Hey, this book looks alot better to me than my current Giant Spidey #4 9.0 that I have currently listed. ----Sid