• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seminar on Developing a Graphic Novel - Boston 2/6

2 posts in this topic

At the Massachusetts College of Art on Huntington Ave in Boston:

http://boston.gag.org/GNevent

Please join us on Saturday, February 6th, for a presentation and panel discussion on developing and publishing a graphic novel, as our series of workshops co-sponsored by the Boston Graphic Artists Guild continues.

When | Saturday, February 6, 2010

(Snow date: February 27)

1:00-1:15 p.m. Networking

1:15 p.m. Presentation begins

4:00 p.m. Portfolio Reviews begin

Where | Trustees Room, 11th Floor, Tower Building

Part 1: Developing a Graphic Novel

With illustrator/author Gareth Hinds

How do you get started on a graphic novel, and more importantly, how do you finish one? Graphic novelist and long-time Graphic Artists Guild member, Gareth Hinds explains his process for adapting classic texts into fully-painted graphic novels, and how that process has changed with each book to meet new challenges and to utilize new technologies.

Gareth will show how he develops a project from rough sketches and research to layout to final art and pre-press. He'll demonstrate his current digital-traditional-digital workflow and explain how he used it to complete a 250-page adaptation of The Odyssey on a rigorous schedule.

Part 2: Getting Published

A panel discussion with:

• Gareth Hinds- The Odyssey, Beowulf, and King Lear

• Liz Prince- Will You Still Love Me If I Wet The Bed?

• Joe Quinones- Amazing Spider-man and Green Lantern

• Dave Kender- The Ragbox; Creator and editor of Boston Comics Roundtable

• Matt Lehman- Owner of Comicopia- a 2009 Eisner Retail Store Finalist

How do I get published? How do I get noticed? Join our moderated discussion with a panel of seasoned professionals as we dive into the options available to those of us trying to get our work into the hands of readers.

We're taking questions ahead of time as well as from our live audience. At the event we will learn about the grants available, what sells and how to submit your work to a publisher.

Part 3: Portfolio Review

Portfolios reviewed by panelists by appointment

Sign up for a review with one of our panelists. We have a small number of 15 minute time slots available to meet with one of our reviewers. To sign up, email adminbgag@gmail.com.

Reservations | By January 28 for discount price:

Guild members and MassArt Alumni: $10

Students with valid IDs: $5

Public: $15

After January 28:

Guild members and MassArt Alumni: $18

Students with valid IDs: $10

Public: $25

15 minute Portfolio Review: $15