• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cherry Poptart registry set is up & running per Gemma

10 posts in this topic

I think this is the first underground comix registry set.

Yes. And Gemma updated point values for first print #1 and #2.

However, first print values for 3-14 are way too low.

I am not even sure if I will enter my collection or try to improve it based on these low numbers.

Not sure you can go off of just census numbers or early issue placement to assign the point values. I think it's more a question of value and rarity. Unfortunately, most of the Cherry books are late 80's early 90's books that are pretty cheap (guide/not slabbed) and are easy to pick-up.

I think the 20-22 are pretty easy to find in high grade. I ordered FP's of 21 and 22 off of the LastGasp site as late as last year. My guess is that the census numbers are low because folks just have not submitted books rather than there not being books to submit.

The early issues (except 1 and 2) are much easier to find than the later issues. I think the issues 13-18 are much harder to find in high grade.

The only book that I really question the point value on is the Funnybook #1. 70's underground that is very hard to find in high grade. You get 90 points for a VF/NM copy (vs 80 for a VF/NM #1). Try finding that book in VF/NM. If you do, be ready to fork over big bucks. 2c

I can't disagree that the books are easy to find. My problem comes that most of the time the books aren't worth grading, if they are even first prints. Of course on the internet every book is near mint. If anyone has a reliable source for high grade first prints hit me up.