• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,536 posts in this topic

There are 36 pages to X-Men 1 which include stories and ads. I just counted; I have an unslabbed copy. There are 23 pages of the story and thirteen pages of ads including a full-page in-house ad for Spidey #4.

So Steve, just to confirm that there are 9 pages on each side of the centerfold staples in an X-Men 1, and you're not counting the covers, right?

This is news to me; I thought the .12 cent Marvels were 8 pages on each side of the centerfold like CycleGirl explains above. (shrug)

Steve,

I did count the covers. There are 15 pages of story and ads before reaching the centerfold. And there are 15 pages of story and ads after the centerfold (I did not count the covers).. Besides the full-page ad for Spidey 4 there is a full-page in house ad for Sgt Fury #3. This being the first issue there is no letters to the editor page or Marvel Bullpen page. DC, on the other hand, would send out advance copies to its long-time readers and editors of fanzines to comment on the first issue. If memory serves me corrrectly, Brave and Bold 34 (first appearance of the Silver Age Hawkman) is a case in point.

SLR

Actually I'm a new member of the club. Just bought the issue from a boardie. He alreadry posted the book. The book is a CGC 3.5 with OW/W pages. I cracked it out of the slab which I almost never do regardless of grade, but there are enough X-Men 1s to go around so I know I'll upgrade one day. Until then this will be my reader copy. I haven't read it yet; too much NBA playoffs and Stanley Cup playoffs in the evening so I don't have time to read comics now. BesidesI'm reading "Gone With the Wind" and I only have 600 more page to read. JUst started it a few days ago and I can't put it down. One of those booksI never got to just like X-Men 1.

X-Men135.png

there you go Steve

Yes, that's the book! Though I haven't read the book as yet, I'm sure enjoying looking at it in a brand spanking new mylar. I bought a 100 of them from E. Gerber at Wonder Con. CGC is great and I love the services and 3rd party grading, but books still look nicer in Mylars. Just my 2 cents. BTW, I think the book is aesthetically pleasing for the grade and of course I love the PQ. Thanks for posting a scan of it. Oh, and it's got a nice spine for a 3.5 and that's important to me since the spine holds the book together.

SLR

Edited by Stevenrams

I'm reading "Gone With the Wind" and I only have 600 more page to read. JUst started it a few days ago

i just watched the movie the other day

One of the great movies ever made but when you read the book you appreaciate Margaret Mitchell's style of writing. She was an excellent writer who made words sing with her imagery, style, and characterization. I hope you saw the American Masters documentary on her life. If you missed it, it's worth buying or renting.

SLR

There are 36 pages to X-Men 1 which include stories and ads. I just counted; I have an unslabbed copy. There are 23 pages of the story and thirteen pages of ads including a full-page in-house ad for Spidey #4.

So Steve, just to confirm that there are 9 pages on each side of the centerfold staples in an X-Men 1, and you're not counting the covers, right?

This is news to me; I thought the .12 cent Marvels were 8 pages on each side of the centerfold like CycleGirl explains above. (shrug)

Steve,

I did count the covers. There are 15 pages of story and ads before reaching the centerfold. And there are 15 pages of story and ads after the centerfold (I did not count the covers).. Besides the full-page ad for Spidey 4 there is a full-page in house ad for Sgt Fury #3. This being the first issue there is no letters to the editor page or Marvel Bullpen page.

SLR

OK - so discounting the covers and whatever may be the story/ad interior content, there are 8 actual pages on each side of the centerfold staples, for a total of 32 total pages (i.e., 16 doube-sided) of interior content (36 counting the covers), do I have that right?

I'm reading "Gone With the Wind" and I only have 600 more page to read. JUst started it a few days ago

i just watched the movie the other day

One of the great movies ever made but when you read the book you appreaciate Margaret Mitchell's style of writing. She was an excellent writer who made words sing with her imagery, style, and characterization. I hope you saw the American Masters documentary on her life. If you missed it, it's worth buying or renting.

SLR

ive heard that, and i will have to someday

Steve,

I did count the covers. There are 15 pages of story and ads before reaching the centerfold. And there are 15 pages of story and ads after the centerfold (I did not count the covers).. Besides the full-page ad for Spidey 4 there is a full-page in house ad for Sgt Fury #3. This being the first issue there is no letters to the editor page or Marvel Bullpen page.

SLR

OK - so discounting the covers and whatever may be the story/ad interior content, there are 8 actual pages on each side of the centerfold staples, for a total of 32 total pages (i.e., 16 doube-sided) of interior content (36 counting the covers), do I have that right?

Yep! That's right! Go Kings! Let's win the cup for Bob Miller! No one deserves it more!!!!

SLR PS I'll bring the book to Comic-Con!

My new one was shipped Friday. I plan to send it to Joey down in Fl and have him work on the red ink some.To try and get as much of the surface staining off that he can with a dry erase.

xmen1cgc45001.jpg

Edited by dscott

My new one was shipped Friday. I plan to send it to Joey down in Fl and have him work on the red ink some.To try and get as much of the surface staining off that he can with a dry erase.

xmen1cgc45001.jpg

Doug, do you plan to resub to CGC right after Joey works on it? Also, is the bottom right corner missing or can it be folding back down and pressed?

Edited by CycleGirl

xmen1cgc45001.jpg

Doug, do you plan to resub to CGC right after Joey works on it? Also, is the bottom right corner missing or can it be folding back down and pressed?

Yes the corner is missing which does suck. I got the book for the price of a 3.5/4.0 because of the ink and corner so I am not to worried about what CGC does with it.

I will either resub it right away or have Joey bring it to Heroes. I was thinking of having Stan sign over the ink once Joey is done with it. To try and mask it some more for eye appeal.