• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this Amazing Spiderman Cover # 113 real ?

34 posts in this topic

I agree with BlueChip. I had emailed the seller with questions and told him I was interested but not at the original price ($7000). Someone got a good deal.

Why would the seller let the piece go for $2500 if he had more than one buyer willing to pay more??? hm

Thanks. I would recommend the seller by the way. I think some people felt reticent due to the picture quality, low feedback and maybe some imperfect follow-through, but from what I can tell that was all due to some perfectly understandable stress due to the disintegration of a relationship, and we can all relate to that. He apparently has some other great stuff, so might be worth watching.

was this a stat?

No, per Mike Burkey the middle art (photo effect) is all original art on board. The rest is stat on board with glossy stat additions of logo and blurbs. It is really beautiful art and unlike any other I've seen of Romitas with the exception of the Spectacular Spider-man B&W art (and most of that art was reverse engineered back to line art for reprint in ASM 116-118.

The art was, as imagined, carefully copied by Romita from the line art of the original cover. That doesn't really bother me, as any piece inked by some other artist is copying over the pencils. And Romita, more than anybody at Marvel, tended to do prelims and work on vellum and sometimes do a rough and start over again, which meant he was often copying his own work for a second or even third time with slight alterations. If you look very close at the art on this page and the line art (as I did) you can see many tiny (usually very tiny) differences.

Since I have a couple rough and prelim Romita covers I have been able to compare them with the finals and in some cases it's just amazing how closely Romita duplicated his own pencil/brush strokes and I've wondered a few times why he bothered to start over instead of just applying white out to small areas.

The center photo art actually exists in three versions. The line art was done first and then Stan told Romita to make it look like a photo. So he then did the piece I got in washtones. It looks like a hi-res black and white photo. But it doesn't look like a newsprint photo. That was apparently accomplished by statting the photo version of the middle art and applying a silk screen or something to achieve the effect of the "dots" in the photo. That silk screen stat of the photo version was then apparently glued over the line art to create the published version. But even then Romita tinkered with the final version by changing Doc Ocks face from an evil frin to an angry scowl.

By the way, Mike Burkey was a big help by allowing me to have this shipped to him first so he could vouch for it as the real deal. Without that assurance, I am sure I would have obsessed over it and convinced myself it was an artful fake or worse. So a shout out to him with thanks and a recommendation to any and all that he's a mensch

A clarifier between the dot screen (used for the published art) and a silk screen.

Silkscreening is a process by which an image mask is created on a piece of nylon and stretched over a wooden screen, and then ink or paint is forced through the mask, leaving the paint only in the unmasked areas.

A mechanical dot screen, or Halftone screen is what is done to the above image for production of the cover. It's a photographic process that replaces the shades of grays with various sized and spaced dots, to visually replicate the gray tones. AKA every image in a black & white newspaper.

You can check it out here.

-e.